[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CS Degree

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1464919515338.png (52KB, 462x429px) Image search: [Google]
1464919515338.png
52KB, 462x429px
Hey /g/ how much math is actually involved in a programming career, I'm interested because I've heard from some that there's a lot of math involved and from others that it's just simple stuff. I've been looking at web development and software engineering, so far I'm leaning towards the software engineering but I don't know anymore.
>>
>>54890351
In what you mentioned probably very little, in a CS degree you can expect a bit.
>>
That depends what you're programming, but being good at math certainly won't hurt and is required for some specific tasks.
>>
>>54890400
Yeah that's what confused me, there seems to be a lot of math involved in getting the degree but not so much in the actual real world application of said degree.
>>
Just easy shit like NP completeness and partial differential equation
>>
>>54890351
Why is everyone so scared of math? Do an equation 30 times and soon you'll not be bad at math. Math is all about doing math for fucks sake, so hike up your trousers and learn.

-blog post-
I had 3 surgeries in middle school that fucked my learning schedule and set me behind in basic algebra by two years so I manned up, studied my ass off, and now all is well. I'm average as fuck at math, but I just devoted time to actually learning it instead of saying, "Gahhh math is so dumb why do I have to learn this stupid thing?!"
>>
My little guide on college classes in general:
All you need are connections to the smart people who know people and have all the previous exams dating back to the beginning of time.
There are only so many general types of practical exam questions that you can get and chances are you will pass theoretical parts as well if you memorize the previous exams.
That's all there is to it. That's how I cheated through college.

The big scam of CS is that even if you are too much of a betafag to join management, the chance of you using your deep knowledge in mathematics and algodat is close to zero. You will probably write Java CRUD applications for the rest of your life, unless you are a high potential who can get the very rare elite "rockstar developer" jobs.
>>
>>54890495
Oh boy, I can't wait.
>>
>>54890495
This. I had a class this semester that I didn't give a fuck about, looked on the past exams, only learnt about half (maybe 60%) of the actual material cause the rest never appeared on past finals. Got an A-.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.