[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Everdirve GB flash cartridge for Gameboy Color

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

File: 141.jpg (26KB, 360x300px) Image search: [Google]
141.jpg
26KB, 360x300px
Hi, I bought A CLONE Everdirve GB flash cartridge a while ago from china. The price of a genune one is $88 US. and i found one for half that 40$ US on Taobao.com

The thing is, onve i put the GBOS.GB (i.e. the OS that runs the roms). I put the latest version (v3) which appaently blocks non-genuine Everdrives.

I don't want to buy a genuine one. I understand the the dude that developed it want's to profit from his work, and that the is against copyright laws, yada yada yada ... But i simply don't give a crap, i found a cheaper version, and this is the internet.

Now, what i'm askig is if you know any good resources/forums/documentation so that I can reverse engineer this shitty OS and so that i can unlock my clone Everdrive. I take it as challenge, it's an opportunity for me to lean new stuff and code new things :D

What i came up with to this date is that it's somehow related to the z80 assembler used by the z80 cpu on the gameboy color. The official formu of Everdrive is of no use since those dickweeds simply won't help out a guy with a clone Evedrive.
>>
Give it back Jamal.
>>
Why don't you ask on >>>/v/ faggot.
None of us care about your gaymes
>>
File: 1310572247573.jpg (4KB, 212x251px) Image search: [Google]
1310572247573.jpg
4KB, 212x251px
Why?

why didn't you buy a supercard sd?
>>
File: gez3mnu.gif (2MB, 390x219px) Image search: [Google]
gez3mnu.gif
2MB, 390x219px
to >>52904559

give it back to the chinese dude who sold it to me? and miss the opportunity to 1- lean new stuff, 2-fuck over a ukranian dude ... naaaah i'm good ^___^
>>
YES THIS IS RAJEESH FROM MICROSOFT TECH SUPPORT HOW MAY I HELP U
>>
>>52904595
good idea :DDDD

i'll do just that
>>
>>52904607
I have a Gameboy color ... not a GBA
>>
I doubt that you can reverse engineer binaries if you are asking how to do it on 4chan.
>>
>>52904665
i'm not asking for somone to do it for me ... i'm asking if you guys have any good info/documentation ... i plan on doing it myself, but i just want to know if there's any good sources of info.

so far i found this : http://wiki.ladecadence.net/doku.php?id=tutorial_de_ensamblador

but it's in spanish
>>
>>52904721
Well, I have no idea how to do it either but I would start with what assembly language used for GC games. Then how game boy color works, how .gc files are formatted. Then try to decompile binaries into assembly and make sense of it. After that I would try to find the part that detects illegal everdrives.

Once I wasted like 3 months I would consider that my time worths more than that $50.
>>
>>52904481
>i put the GBOS.GB (i.e. the OS that runs the roms). I put the latest version (v3) which appaently blocks non-genuine Everdrives

your options are to:
1) Use an _older version_ of the OS that doesn't give a shit
2) Make your clone _appear genuine_ to OS versions >=3 (might not be an option, since you might need a genuine one to know what this looks like)
3) Hack the newer version of the OS so that it bypasses the check for genuine hardware

If I had to guess, option 3 might be best, but if it proves to be too much work then 1.

I understand your frustration OP. People think they're going to make big bucks by putting an insane markup on some little trinket they made, and then bitch unendingly when the Chinese clone it.
>>
>>52904930
R&D for that trinket is probably quite high, it should support variety of cartidges so I doubt that hardware is that cheap either. Not to mention small market size. Huge profit margins are totally fair imho.
>>
>>52904890 yeah you're right ... my time is more valuable than that ... but i think i'll lean the assembly language for GC games anyways. it sounds like a nice way to spend some time.
>>
>>52905014
One day I'll own a good flashcart for every console I have that can't be softmodded. Emulators just aren't the same.
>>
File: 1454921346629.jpg (43KB, 744x689px) Image search: [Google]
1454921346629.jpg
43KB, 744x689px
>mean while a shitty pre paid android for 30$ can play gba, gc,psp, ps1,n64 and android games

op u are legitly retarded

why didn't you just buy a controller for your phone or something
>>
>>52904481
>>52905014
Don't you see the irony in an asshole implementing a restrictive and exclusive form of DRM for a device created explicitly to run pirated software?
>>
>>52905091
see >>52905083 shitlord. Touchscreens are no fun to play on, and some of us actually grew up using those old controllers.
>>
>>52905131
he made a n OS that only works on his cartridges, I fail to see the irony
>>
>>52905014
>R&D for that trinket is probably quite high
And I toooootally get that. I'm sure it's been thousands of hours for him and I guess I didn't really realize that he had entire product lines and stuff.

It's just not realistic to expect that clones of small/simple devices won't be made for less.
>>
>>52904930
the problem wih no 1 is that it gives you an "Authorisation error" even if you use an older OS on the flashcard once the newer one is used ... it basically goes into a bootloop.

for the no 2, i have no idea how to use that without spending another 80$ for a genuine flashcard

for the no3 ... that's what i'm here for :D

PS : here is the difference between the genuine and the fake flashcard

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3751.0

and here is the the error threat on the forum of the original flashcard ... the guys obviously did this intensionally to shortcut clone flashcards :

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3449.0
>>
This look okay? I've been wanting a flash cart for the GameBoy for a while
>tfw you were too young and jobless to buy flash carts when there was a selection of decently priced models
>>
>>52905409
whoops
http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/usb-64m-smart-card
>>
>>52905428
yeah i saw those ... but with an Everdrive you get to choose the amount of space to put on it since it supports micro-SD
>>
I don't know about reverse engineering the software it's running, but it looks like a fairly common PCB layout. Usually there's a bootloader that relays code and data into one of the adjacent flash chips. So it sounds like a trigger value has been set on the flash that tells the device not to boot. If you have a way of completely wiping the flash it'd probably be as good as new.
>>
File: 1435709430285.png (184KB, 660x720px) Image search: [Google]
1435709430285.png
184KB, 660x720px
>>52904615
>considers fucking over a developer a feature
>actually is bad at it and got cucked for $40 of useless hardware

Fucking laughing my ass off right now
>>
>>52905541
On /vr/ therad (http://boards.4chan.org/vr/thread/2986286), someone mentioned UV light to reset the flash memory ... but i don't kno how to proceed with this technique.
>>
>>52905617
dont forget to delete system32
>>
>>52905632
LOL

>>52905603
meh ... at least i'm willing to learn :)
>>
>>52905501
Yeah but I've got most of the games I want to play, this is just for when I play ones I don't. I'm completely okay with 64MB
>>
>actually using a piece of shit GBC with an expensive knockoff flashcard
>instead of a backlit GBA SP with a flashcard along with goomba color

I know you want to be a dumb hipster, but there's really no reason to go with the first option
>>
>>52905887
>not backlight modding your GBC and GB along with the biversion mod for the GB
Maximum pleb
>>
>>52905932
>still using inferior GBC buttons
>backlight mods being anywhere close to coming to the quality of a new SP screen
>calling others pleb

Nigga you dumb
>>
>>52905958
>not using the proper system
The only better way to play GameBoy games is with a GameBoy player and a small Trinitron
>>
>>52905887
DUDE it's my childhood gameboy color ... i found it back in the basement along with other games. After all these years it was still working, why buy a new thing when the old one works :D
>>
>>52905617
That guy must be stuck in the 80s or something. No-one uses UV for that any more. It was better for eeproms than flash anyway. Reprogramming it would work, but a halfway decent programmer would probably cost more than a new cart.

That microwave thing is legit. Most electronics have insanely high heat tolerances so they can be soldered quickly with reflow ovens. You never absolutely never put untreated metals into a microwave which is probably why he told you to leave the screw and plastic case out. Heat and audible pressure will wipe flash very quickly so it does sound correct. The only thing I'm not sure about is the time. It is a fucking microwave after all, so I'd probably do it in several stages of 20 or 30 second each rather than 60 all at once.

I know it sounds like "hurr durr, someone on 4chan told me to microwave my toy", but in this case it's actually a real solution.
>>
>>52905091
>touchscreens for video games
Kill yourself
>>
File: 1388081876088.png (356KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1388081876088.png
356KB, 640x480px
>>52905982
>playing handheld games on a console

Gross
>>
>>52906015
Why? GBC games look awesome on an 8" PVM
>>
>>52905995
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH .... Hurr Durr delete system 32 ...

Thanks man for the advice ... this is very helpful ... i'll try the microwave thing then.
>>
>>52905383
So essentially you bricked your hardware by using a later OS.

You're fucked now, but what's more fucked is the scum cunt who things he can charge more for a shitty SD card reader than the original console is worth and then intentionally ruin hardware just for giggles.

Keep us updated bro, really hope you get around this and spread it all over the internet.
>>
>>52905887
The only GBA flash card you can still get is the EZ-Flash IV and Goomba Color doesn't work properly with it. You're fucked if you want to play any game that needs a save.
>>
>>52906043
>fucking 96p or some shit blown up to 8"
>looking good
>>
>>52906057
>I've seen it daily
>you haven't
>>
>>52906052
There was a beta for a new version released in late 2014 that fixed all the save issues I had with it on my G6 lite.
>>
>>52905428
>http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/usb-64m-smart-card

>important things to consider:

> game *.sav file is stored in sram. only one *.sav can be stored at the same time

Unless it auto-writes the .sav to NAND on next bootup (like my EZ Flash IV), that would seem to be a deal breaker. I.E. if you try to save playing literally any other game you will lose your Pokemon save.
>>
>>52906076
Retard please. I have crts of all sizes along with two super gameboys and a gameboy player. It looks like shit compared to an actual gameboy screen. Git taste you dirty pleb.
>>
>>52906052
Goomba Color saves are working for me. Had some issues with mine getting the larger games that you needed to save to a different part of memory working but eventually I found a firmware that let me do it.
>>
File: 1448251509048.png (834KB, 789x859px) Image search: [Google]
1448251509048.png
834KB, 789x859px
>>52905154
Are you having fun yet with your gameboy?
>>
>>52906160
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA ... No :(
>>
>>52906047
>ask 4chan how to cook dinner
>4chan says microwave it
>yeah, no way i'm falling for that

There are a lot of idiots here but remember that you're the one who managed to brick his bootleg chinese flash cart and came begging for help on how to fix it. Don't dig yourself into a deeper hole by automatically shooting down every suggestion.
>>
>>52906195
Sorry if i sounded sarcastic ... I'm actually considering it :)
>>
Wtf is ever drive?

And why can't you just leave the Gameboy alone? Is your autism so strong that you have to mod a fucking Gameboy for further aspergeresque amusement?
>>
>>52906339
Flash cart. Put roms on an SD card, put that card into the cart, put the cart into the Gameboy and you can play any rom on it.

For people who don't like emulators and aren't poor but can't exactly afford to buy every single game in the library.
>>
>>52906392
It's also nice to not have to carry multiple cartridges around while actually using it as a portable
>>
>>52906195
wicrowave will not work because there are very hot and cold spots in the field so some parts of the flash will burn while others get no heat at all. this is why the microwave tray spins. you cannot expect anything close to even heat distribution so youll burn out a part of it trying to warm up others.

GL
>>
>>52907152
Some food need be stirred when microwaved, faggot.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.