[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux Mint

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 12

File: kde.png (567KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
kde.png
567KB, 2560x1440px
Tried debian, hated it. Tried Ubuntu, OK, tried mint, everything went better then expected. What do you dislike about mint?
>>
Mint is perfect
>>
Nothing. Mint is an excellent choice. Everything works without extra configuration.
>>
what did you hate about debian?
>>
Mint does not have a policy against including nonfree software, it includes nonfree binary blobs in drivers packaged with the kernel, and it includes nonfree programs in its repositories. It even includes proprietary codecs.
>>
>>52871490
it's not arch
>>
File: 1452388801348.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1452388801348.webm
1MB, 640x360px
>>52871630
HES NOT USING ARCH
>>
>>52871617
And literally no one but freetards give a fuck.
>>
>>52871611
The video drivers were not working for my 4650, did some googling entered a few terminal commands which did nothing but give me a blank screen, I don't like how barebones it is I barely know how to use the terminal I could see Debian quickly becoming a huge time sink for me. I do love the Debian logo though.
>>
>>52871490
I liked it. The dealbreaker for me was that my network connection was acting wonky with it. It would continuously cut on and off, making browsing the web slow and painful. I never could get it fixed so I just went to another distro, and haven't had the problem since.
>>
File: 1448292809339.jpg (22KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1448292809339.jpg
22KB, 320x240px
>>52871490
Because it looks like a normal desktop. I don't want people to think I'm using Windows like some retard. Arch is the only distro if you wanna be better than Winbabies and Macucks.
>>
I tried 2 times debian plus 1 non free insall, every time it fucked my graphic and sound. Feoda doesnt. Work either.
On mint it work OFTB easily, so i love mint
Only thibg to hate is ols peograms and shitty security
>>
Nothing, I use it every day.
>>
>>52871705

I had the same problem. I thought it was just my old mac mini. I feel better now.
>>
The logo is ugly.
>>
This entire thread seems to have boiled down to
>I use Mint because I can't configure Debian or Fedora and I don't want to use Ubuntu
Now that's not an entirely bad thing as new users have to start somewhere, but Mint's idea of a GUI for everything can be awful. The initial setup and opening windows left and right was almost cringeworthy when I tried it. A lot of the interfaces just felt clunky and unrefined like they had to do something, but didn't necessarily need to put a lot of effort into it.
Also
>apt
>aptitude
>>
>>52871490
It was my first Linux 5 or so years ago. Everything works out of the box. My only complaint is how it like Ubuntu uses MD5 hashes only, which is insecure. They should also use SHA1, SHA256, and SHA512 also minimal.
>>
It's a derivative of a derivative of an outdated distro far removed from upstream. That appeals to some people. It doesn't appeal to me. Not all bugs can be sorted out by the package maintainer, let the upstream guys fix their shit instead of hacking things together to make them work.
>>
Too many packages installed by default. I'd be ok with a Mint minimal ISO so I can pick what packages I want. But clem won't do it.

So I choose Debian. They have a netinst ISO image. You can do the expert install, start with nothing, and only install the packages you want.
>>
>>52872556
MD5 hashes for what?
>>
>>52871666
>Debian
>Time sink

You're just too stupid to set it up.
>>
>>52872788
The iso you use to burn to a cd/dvd or boot from flash drive. MD5 is insecure compared to SHA1 and even SHA256/512
>>
>>52871490
>>52871591
>>52871593
>>52871630
>>52871663
>>52871666
>>52871705
>>52871731
>>52871814

>too stupid to set up a good distro so eats shit instead
At least install an ubuntu distro, mint is literally fucked up by retarded developers
>>
>>52872673
this tbqh senpai
>>
>>52871630
Edgy
>>
>>52871490
Mint w/ Cinnamon a best
>>
Been using mint/cinnamon for a couple days and don't hate it at all yet.
>>
>>52873418
>Been using mint/cinnamon for a couple days

sounds about right
>>
You know what I like about Mint? I upgraded the family computer from a Dimension 3000 running XP to a Optiplex 745, and I installed Mint + Cinnamon. Nobody has had any problems transitioning from Windows, everything works, hell they can print shit from their Epson printer.
>>
>>52872953
>>52871666
Eh, I'd have to agree. On my laptop Debian works fantastic and otherwise has been my favourite distro overall, but the last time I tried it shit itself with my desktop's graphics card.
>>
ARCH
R
C
H
>>
>>52871490
>What do you dislike about mint?
Something about Israel and the Jews.

Let the /pol/tards come out of the woodwork...
>>
>>52872953
Except now I use OpenBSD and Arch. No one is born with innate knowledge of *nix, dipshit.
>>
>>52873673
People like
>>52871666
won't learn anything by just using mint
>>
File: RefugeesAreWelcome.jpg (252KB, 709x738px) Image search: [Google]
RefugeesAreWelcome.jpg
252KB, 709x738px
>>52873663
Juden
>>
CrunchBang++ is pretty decent for those who have had issues with Debian installations. I mean I know #!++ is just Debian with openbox and a few accessories, but it is a really nice distro. Though I did switch to Arch on my desktop, laptop, and local server a few months ago. Despite the meme, Arch can be really nice distribution if you can follow simple instructions (via the wiki).
>>
>>52873663
>>What do you dislike about mint?
>>52872673
>>
>>52873744
>Arch on a server
>>
>>52873839
if you're a wizard it's of no consequence
>>
>>52871490
Multiple package managers, not very lightweight
Mint is the "ayy lmao" of Linux distributions.
>>
Mint is just fine. But why isn't there any good media player for Linux? Isn't there anything as good as PotPlayer?

VLC sucks.
>>
>>52874676
mpv retard
>>
>>52874682
MPV would be great if it wasn't such a disfunctional pile of shit.

Great advice, shitlord
>>
File: 16541355800.gif (424KB, 486x486px) Image search: [Google]
16541355800.gif
424KB, 486x486px
>>52874676
VLC a best
>>
>>52874721
>MPV would be great if it wasn't such a disfunctional pile of shit.

that makes no sense

mpv is one of the easiest, most straight-forward linux applications to use
>>
>>52874783

Don't bother with a retard who thinks fucking PotPlayer is good
>>
>>52874721
>disfunctional pile of shit.

go on
>>
>>52874676
>>52874721
https://bomi-player.github.io
>>
>>52871490
>What do you dislike about mint?
the logo. thats the only reason i dont use it
>>
>>52872913
noone gives a shit about this, people never even check it or understand what its for
>>
>>52872673
what about linux mint debian edition?
>>
>systemd
>normie software
>broken packages
>upstream hell
>>
nigger
>>
How can you hate Debian but then like anything else?

Debian is kind of the de facto standard
>>
>>52876685
linux mint 17.X uses ubuntu 14.04 which is LTS and it uses upstart. The next release Linux Mint 18 will release two editions, with and without systemd.
>>
>>52876757
>with and without systemd.
Really? I haven't heard about that yet.
>>
>>52876757
sauce?
>>
>>52871666
>The video drivers

Debian gnu/linux does not come with propitiatory software. Expect some effort of gaining non free shit.
>>
>>52876924
>>52877111
Check
$apt policy upstart sysvinit
You'll find Upstart. Mint may go with systemd next year though. Feels bad man
>>
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
I don't like the green colour scheme.
And it's basically ubuntu, so why not just use ubuntu. And ubuntu is basically just debian, but I'm not masochist enough to go that far.
Cinnamon and mate are both pox.
I use flashback/fallback gnome on my main systems and lubuntu on my old crap.
Fedora is rough as guts btw.
>>
>>52878607
>Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Whatever you fagots think
>>
File: yVzYkJo.jpg (64KB, 500x714px) Image search: [Google]
yVzYkJo.jpg
64KB, 500x714px
I was using mint but had WiFi card and graphics issues. I switched to Xubuntu and it runs much more smoothly and looks a tonne better than cinnamon imo.
>>
I see you're a KDE man yourself

>>52872249
I use Mint Cinnamon because it feels like windows
>>
>>52872953
>mint is literally fucked up by retarded developers
proof?
>>
>>52871490
It makes Linux even more accessible to normies, which must not be allowed.
>>
>>52871630
This. The Arch wiki is a thing of beauty. Most Debian/Ubuntu/Mint support is reading shitty forum posts from 5+ years ago.
>>
>>52881926
>needing to read an entire wiki just to have an os that werks
>>
>>52882053
Actually wiki support is a very important thing. Not everything has to work for you ootb
>>
>>52882053
Say what you will about wiki support but even as a Debian user the Arch wiki has been really helpful.

I would never install Arch though, too much configuring and not enough time as a student.
>>
>>52882127
It's not that bad if you use an installer. It's only a bit harder than Mint install then.

But I support all the distros so I'm not saying some would be bad. They all have Linux afterall.
>>
File: jews.png (51KB, 1302x1296px) Image search: [Google]
jews.png
51KB, 1302x1296px
>>52872953
Found the JIDF shill.

Stay mad about Mint devs calling out Israel for being a terrorist state, faggot.
>>
>>52876709
MInt doesn't yet have systemD retard
>>
>>52882162
When I manage to get a new laptop I could afford to try experimenting with Arch on the netbook I'm currently using.
>>
>>52871490
It's great. And they hate jews, which is nice.
>>
>>52871490
just don't use that KDE bloated cancer
>>
Ever since I switched to mint I've had a lot more time on my hands.
>>
>so many archfags in this thread
enjoy your BLEEDING EDGE faggots
you should use Gentoo or Slackware
>>
>debian
GEE WONDER WHY
>>
>>52884584
Whats the general difference between gentoo and arch?
>>
>>52871711
Don't know if joking or just autist
>>
>>52872249
...are you talking about cinnamon? That's not mint its just its DE.
>>
>>52872913
...so that's not for security its to verify the download. Wtf you smoking boy
>>
I thought it was kinda boring, desu
>>
>Thread has nothing to do with Arch
>Archfags start talking about Arch
No wonder people hate the community here, you guys are pretentious fucks

I know it might surprise you, but yes actually some people simply do not have the time to configure and maintain their OS all the time. We need our OS so we can get OUR work done, and I can't have Xorg breaking all of a sudden due to an update (Don't fucking tell me it doesn't happen, it did for me and it does for many)

Yes I should've read the main page to make sure there are no issues with the latest updates, but why? I don't want to do that. Nobody should have to do that.

Debian is doing it right, I never had to be afraid of doing an upgrade or dist-upgrade, EVER. Arch on the other hand failed right outside the box after following the wiki with a segmentation fault in Xorg. I mean what the fuck? How about some quality control on your packages? At least have a stable repository for those of us who have a wife and kids or something. Think of the children!

I mean what the fuck? Who's the target audience here? I consider myself a power user with years of experience in Linux, and even I can tell you that this is way too unstable for any kind of normal use.

The only way I can see myself using Arch on a regular basis, is if I spend a crazy amount of time to get it to work, and then never upgrade again in my life.

If Arch had stable and unstable repositories, you know, some fucking quality control, then I'd be all over it.

All of this being said, I've tried Arch a few times, and when it worked, it was glorious and blazing fast! But it breaks too fast and too easy, so I had no other choice but to sadly say goodbye.
>>
>>52871490
driver manager sucks out of the box
>>
>>52878607
I would just like to interject and say payton manning sucks compared to Elis Superbowl. There now we've both made pointless off topic purely cosmetic distinctions.
>>
>>52884584
Enjoy spending more time compiling than running software.
>>
>>52871490
LMAO. Linux Mint is so much Ubuntu, it even makes a directory named "ubuntu" at EFI System Partition. I don't see any difference between all this Debian-based user-friendly wannabee-Windows distros. They all should only be used as the first step into the world of Linux-based systems.
>>
>>52885093
>Who's the target audience?
Definitely not everyone. Probably people like me who think it's fun to mess around with unstable shit. That being said, I've been using it for a year, and it's only really "broken" once. And it only broke because I shut off my computer on accident during an update.
>>
>>52880735
They use extremely outdated versions of software to work with their legacy desktop.
>>
File: 1452474156454.jpg (39KB, 530x530px) Image search: [Google]
1452474156454.jpg
39KB, 530x530px
>>52885186
I found mint to have more useful software than Ubuntu. Steam for example, when I was using Ubuntu there was no button to actually install it even though it was present in software center. Mint installed it no problem.
>>
>>52880641
>I use Mint Cinnamon because it feels like windows
>>52871666
>I barely know how to use the terminal

Why don't you guys go for something like ZironOS. I mean you clearly want a windows, without windows written on it,. Choose at least a shitty OS, made for people who come from windows.
>>
File: 1440266233810.png (24KB, 903x583px) Image search: [Google]
1440266233810.png
24KB, 903x583px
>>52885288
> there was no button to actually install it
Dude I've never kek'd so hard.
>>
>>52885288
>software center
Just shut the fuck up and get out.
>>
>GTK still outdated
The one thing that keeps Mint from being the perfect distro
>>
>>52882193
LMDE sure has
mint ubantoo will have it as soon as they upgrade to new version
>>
>>52884994
No systemd
>>
File: mint.png (174KB, 640x892px) Image search: [Google]
mint.png
174KB, 640x892px
>>52886492
No it doesn't
>>
>>52871490
Apt-get
>>
>>52887478
Interesting
I'll look further into it
>>
>>52871490
Nothing, I like it.
>>
>>52872953
In what way?
>>
>>52887754
What's wrong with apt-get?

It werks
>>
>>52872953
/thread
>>
>>52872953
>eats shit
I don't think you understand this meme
>>
>>52880526
As much as I dislike Stallman, his statement, in addition to being a meme, does explain why Linux is not an OS. Can you offer an actual rebuttal, or are you ready to admit that you are just a stupid faggot who has no fucking clue what you are talking about?

FreeBSD is an OS. Solaris is an OS. Windows 10 is an OS. Linux is a kernel. However I will continue to refer to "GNU plus Linux" as simply Linux because it upsets Stallman and all the dipshits who love to suck his cock. That doesn't mean that it's technically correct.
>>
>>52882053

I don't want an OS to just werk. I want to know why it works. I want to take it apart and make it work in new, different, and maybe even better ways. I want to understand what the fuck it is I am doing.

If you want your OS to just werk, then look no further than Windows or OSX. They are happy to take your money, and hold your dick while you piss. Don't worry about how they are making you sit down to do it. It's for your own good. Don't worry about how the toliet also has a giant, rusty spike that gets jammed up your asshole while you do it either. It may be poorly designed, but it gets the job done. It just fucking werks anon, it just fucking werks.
>>
File: OS-structure2.png (59KB, 1499x383px) Image search: [Google]
OS-structure2.png
59KB, 1499x383px
>>52889998
You can't compare systems when only Linux has a monolithic kernel. NT is not the same thing as Linux. Monolithic kernel has everything it needs. An operating system is something that makes applications talk to hardware and Linux does that.
>>
File: pn9icjt.gif (109KB, 2559x1215px) Image search: [Google]
pn9icjt.gif
109KB, 2559x1215px
>>52882190
The dumbest chart I've ever seen tbqh. Religion doesn't work like that. You can't just classify religions like that. Pic related would be a lot better, but religion can't be explained in a chart tbqh because new religions aren't started by people who decide the religion they currently associate themselves with isn't the best and they can do better.
>>
>>52871611
I'm running Debian right now as my first OS. This was my experience:
>Instaled Debian
>No drivers worked out of the box
>Had to figure out how to install everything needed using terrible Debian outdated knowledgebase/wiki
>Had to install a bunch of non-free firmware; installation took an hour because no one could explain step-by-step how to install shit on a Linux system without GUI
>Booted into BIOS to password protect it
>Booted back up, could no longer find Debian OS, Grub no longer loaded
>Tried a bunch of shit
>Had to start all over again with re-installation process
>Installation process kept on saying software didn't install properly tried a total of 3 times before saying fuck the extra software (whatever it was).
>This time around firmware wouldn't install properly
>Fought for 6 hours to get Wi-Fi drivers to function correctly, wouldn't couldnt get it to work. Bashed my head against the wall
>Said fuck it, re-installed a 3rd time
>This time everything worked for whatever fucking reason unbeknown to me.
>Installed Linux mint on my other system
>Worked straight out of the fucking box with no fucking problems
>/g/ bitches and moans and calls Mint shit
>fuck you /g/ asburger autists
>>
I installed gentoo on my gf now all she does is please me thank guys

https://youtu.be/zNRa2W6kJpk
Thread posts: 112
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.