[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinions: Why BSD over Linux?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8

File: Checkmate.jpg (49KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
Checkmate.jpg
49KB, 850x400px
To those of you whom prefer a BSD/BSD variant(s) over Linux, why do you prefer it over Linux?

Sorry that this is worded like shit.
>>
Because BSD was invented by cool developers like freeBSDgirl, whereas Linux is a poor copy made by misogynistic cis males
>>
>>52663639

Theres really not much difference. Unless you get into kernel programming it all just looks like unix. Sure on SysV unixes you have to ps -elf and on bsd types you have to ps ax, but man ps works on both, so meh, who cares, its all unix (even linux), its all good.
>>
>>52663733
Yeah, fuck Linyos Torovoltos.

Seriously I use OpenBSD because it just werks.

PF is nice too.
>>
>>52665464
PF?
>>
>>52665548
Originally an OpenBSD firewall ported to other BSDs afterwards.

It's so nice and simple to use, I don't understand how the Linux people could ever deal with iptables. Or systemd, but that's another story.
>>
>>52663733
please spread this to bait feminist to use bsd.
They can claim to care about freedom without having to do anything for freedom as all they do is flash their genitals, post on twitter and cry about inequality
>>
File: gpl.png (155KB, 998x381px) Image search: [Google]
gpl.png
155KB, 998x381px
>better licensing, not hostile to priority vendors
>less fragmentation and developer duplication
>actually related to UNIX and not a knock off
>better community

There is a reason thing's like Dtrace don't happen on shitnux.
>>
I'm not partial to any OS for favoritism, I just look for a UNIX(-based) OS that suits my needs when I choose my OS. Every UNIX variant functions a little differently, I just prefer the way the BSDs do.
>>
>>52665647
>no software compatibility
>>
>>52665592
Err, these are _some_ feminists, and I haven't read any of them for the 4 years I'm on Twitter.

I don't think FreeBSDgirl posts her genitals on Twitter. I don't think she has Twitter anyway. And there is some inequality when people like you reduce a huge amount of concepts to posting genitals on Twitter and crying about inequality.
>>
>>52663733
I actually went on the FreeBSD subreddit just for shits and giggles when she did her whiny blog post.

It blew over in a week.

Shows you how much BSD people actually care about their projects, and not drama.
>>
>>52663639
First of all, *BSDs have features missing in linux that can be dealbreakers for some people/companies.
Secondly, the Community is less fragmented and more professional.

I run OpenBSD on my laptop and its probably not the best desktop OS, but thats all subjective.

You might wanna look up some blogposts by companies that use BSD, like Whatsapp and Netflix.
>>
>>52663639
Both look like Unix.
Only one of them is.
>>
>>52663733
>searched for freeBSDgirl
almost died of cancer sempai
>>
>free BSD girl
She is merely a stranger that walks into you home, sits on your couch and announces that she is now part of your family, then demands you get rid of your cat. You tell here no and that she should leave so she throws a tantrum. She has no relevance or relationship to any BSD in any way.
>>
pfSense > anything Linux
>>
>>52665464
>using an OS with no modern security features like jails or MAC and has a FBI backdoor built into it
>>
>>52669486
th-there's no proof of the backdoor
>>
>>52663639
Most developers that even consider a Linux port for their software haven't even heard of bsd
>>
>>52664058
Exactly this. No point in *nix users fighting amongst themselves. Different kernel but same (or very similar) behaviour, large pool of common OS components, a lot of cross compatibility, and often look exactly the same.
>>
>>52663639
better license, lack of freetards, zfs.
>>
>>52665943
Almost all important programmer related shit is in BSD.
>>
>>52669486
>le FBI backdoor meme
Epic!!!
>>
Speaking of openbsd
https://allthatiswrong.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/the-insecurity-of-openbsd/
>>
>>52670807
Can someone clue me in on zfs. I hear people circlejerk about this all the time but I never hear what makes it better than ufs or ext4
>>
>>52670871
>linux shill
Get out.
>>
>>52670871
At least post up-to-date bait.
>>
>>52670912
ZFS is copy on write so data isn't overwritten(prevents problems like the "write hole" that can affect a regular RAID5/6 setup), this also allows for transparent "snapshots" basically the history of your filesystem is preserved in real time and you can go back to any point in that history. You can back up these snapshots to an external drive and use them as a straight up backup solution. There's also real time error correction, data deduplication, compression, encryption, it supports huge volumes and files, redundancy even greater than what RAID6 offers.
>>
>>52670912
ZFS is probably the most advanced filesystem out there.
And imho its not a filesystem anymore, some of its features go well beyond any other filesystem.
It has advanced integrity checks (checksumming everything), it has performant software-RAID (so you don't get fucked by a broken raid controller again).

It allows for compression, encryption, send files over network, snapshotting, etc

Small description:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/zfs.html

Talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXOZmDoy2Co
>>
>>52663639
I use FreeBSD a lot for various work purposes
>ports
>pf
>zfs/raidz
Also tends to be stable as hell
10:02AM  up 777 days, 17:04, 5 users, load averages: 0.10, 0.06, 0.04
>>
File: 1452872261925.jpg (66KB, 399x382px) Image search: [Google]
1452872261925.jpg
66KB, 399x382px
>>52665647
>better community
What community?
>>
>>52669486
>>52670871
oh wow you're back and you still haven't changed your bait after a month
>>
BSD is better for specific things, like running a highly secure task on a server; Linux is better for general purposes like desktop shit.
>>
Any one have any thoughts on ZFS for Linux?
http://zfsonlinux.org/

Does it function just as well?

People with actual experience with it only, please. :^)
>>
>>52671602
>What community?
I don't know, but it's certainly better than the Linux community.
>>
>>52666743
Post tits with timestamp, bitch.
>>
File: image_20.jpg (161KB, 640x684px) Image search: [Google]
image_20.jpg
161KB, 640x684px
>>52663639
I use OpenBSD on my router because it's a more secure (albeit much lighter) platform than GNU/Linux. Everything else in the house except my FreeBSD ZFS storage runs GNU/Linux, though. I just want my edge router to be as secure as possible. Plus, installing and configuring it was a food learning experience.
>>
>>52674895
Jesus christ, those typos.
storage server*
good experience*
>>
>>52665943
>people on /g/ who use a *nix operating system but don't know how to build from source
why????????????????
>>
>>52669002
>You might wanna look up some blogposts by companies that use BSD, like Whatsapp and Netflix.
Because they can keep their improvements to the OS to themselves.
>>
>>52674962
They actually just contributed a patch to improve network performance on FreeBSD.

https://www.nginx.com/blog/nginx-and-netflix-contribute-new-sendfile2-to-freebsd/
>>
>>52669047
The other one is a good OS.
>>
>>52674919
I looked up "food experience" because I thought it was some fucking weird, obscure expression.
>>
>>52674962
>>52675058
Sony also sent some patches to FreeBSD.

GPL retards can fuck off.
>>
>>52669486
>no modern security features like jails
what are kernel namespaces?
>>
>>52665647
>better licensing, not hostile to priority vendors

What do you mean "priority vendors?"
>>
>>52671602
You don't even need to be a community to be better than the Linux community.
>>
>>52669002
It's not good for entertainment related shit. For actual work though it's great. That's what it's developed for. The developers are their own target audience, and they are people who's needs are almost completely work related. They focus on shit they care about, and don't care what anyone else wants or needs.

I just dual boot it and Linux, and use Linux for whatever goofing-off I'm inclined to do. I think that's one thing Linux people who bash the BSDs don't get. Most BSD users these days came from Linux to begin with, and a lot of us still use it as well. They on the other hand typically have never used any of the BSDs, and really have no fucking clue what they are talking about, when discussing them, hence the overuse of the same tired old talking points. They seem to assume that BSD people have never used Linux, and that we hate it for the hell of it. So in other words, they assume we are just like them, except we have a different precious than they.
>>
>>52675893
Oh, like he would fucking know. You give him far too much credit anon.
>>
>>52676169
I just like UNIX in general, but I vastly prefer to use OpenBSD to Linux.

I'll still use Linux if I don't have a choice.
>>
>>52671602

The official FreeBSD forums for starters.
>>
>>52669521
**Ca-can neither confirm n-nor deny the existence of a backdoor
Ftfy, agent
>>
OpenBSD leader Theo states that there are 7000 users of OpenBSD. How many users of NetBSD are there? Let's see. The number of OpenBSD versus NetBSD posts on Usenet is roughly in ratio of 5 to 1. Therefore there are about 7000/5 = 1400 NetBSD users. BSD/OS posts on Usenet are about half of the volume of NetBSD posts. Therefore there are about 700 users of BSD/OS. A recent article put FreeBSD at about 80 percent of the *BSD market. Therefore there are (7000+1400+700)*4 = 36400 FreeBSD users. This is consistent with the number of FreeBSD Usenet posts.

Due to the troubles of Walnut Creek, abysmal sales and so on, FreeBSD went out of business and was taken over by BSDI who sell another troubled OS. Now BSDI is also dead, its corpse turned over to yet another charnel house.

All major surveys show that *BSD has steadily declined in market share. *BSD is very sick and its long term survival prospects are very dim. If *BSD is to survive at all it will be among OS dilettante dabblers. *BSD continues to decay. Nothing short of a cockeyed miracle could save *BSD from its fate at this point in time. For all practical purposes, *BSD is dead.

Fact: *BSD is dying
>>
>>52663639
why unix over unix-like, gee bob i d k
>>
>>52674895

Context of photo?
>>
>>52674962
>Netflix has made extensive contributions to the codebase and works to maintain a zero delta from mainline FreeBSD
Nice try, software commie.
>>
>>52665647
>less fragmentation
so less software :^)
>>
>>52677199
Dunno, found it on a /b/ Southeast Asian thread.
>>
>>52674895
Did you use a dedicated embedded box or did you just use a old computer?

I want to try doing one some day using those embedded computers.
>>
File: 1067.jpg (51KB, 648x595px) Image search: [Google]
1067.jpg
51KB, 648x595px
>>52663639
All the fanaticism over BSD is an illusion, those are all BSD cucks OP.

Or we are not going to talk about the harassment over Linux users on /g/?
>>
1. what is the state of drivers for videocards on BSD (cant use a desktop efficiently without decent drivers you know)
2. what would you say is the best BSD right now (I assume freeBSD)
3. what do you use your BSD for
>>
>>52677458
Nvidia is guaranteed to not work on OpenBSD.

Nvidia are assholes when it comes to Open Source projects.
>>
>>52677474
is there some equivalent to nouveau?
>>
>>52677491
Don't think there is, unfortunately.

It's too hacky for the OpenBSD devs.
>>
>>52677491
Theoretically nouveau should work on OpenBSD but the devs just don't care.

>>52677458
FreeBSD has official proprietary driver support from Nvidia so it works pretty well. Open source radeon and Intel drivers work okay.

Nvidia doesn't work well on any other BSD, but pretty much every other BSD can run open radeon and intel okay.
>>
>>52674937
>roam gits
>clone
>ensure you have proper build environment set up
>read up on various flags needed
>customize build to your liking
>build
>configure install to your liking
>install
nah m8, it's nice to know how to do it but its fucking a waste of time to do plus with debian there are so many forks you can just steal the deb from another dist and install with minimal effort
>>
File: theo.png (117KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
theo.png
117KB, 500x500px
>>
File: fosdem.jpg (205KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
fosdem.jpg
205KB, 1024x768px
>>52677692
thanks masturbating monkey
>>
File: 1417789999846.jpg (26KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
1417789999846.jpg
26KB, 604x453px
>>52677668
More like
>cd /usr/ports/games/tuxkart/ && make install clean
>>
>>52677762
someone has to write these ports first though

i'd write one if i knew how to program and patch problematic programs
>>
>>52677775
If it's even remotely useful, someone typically has already.
>>
>>52677797
oh sure that happens sometimes

then the maintainer suddenly disappears without having submitted his patches upstream, then you pretty much have to start over because the program is too old
>>
>>52677825
>without having submitted his patches upstream
What? any required patches are in the ports tree and they're applied to the official source code of whatever software it is.
>>
>>52677867
sure, what i mean is that sometimes the patch itself isn't submitted to the upstream project

the entire point is to get a program you won't have to patch eventually, and get official support
>>
Anyone have the full Deathpiles GR album for download?
>>
>>52678957
Yotsuba B, I thought I was posting on /mu/. :^(
>>
>>52669449
>b-but she sent commited one line fixes to sysinstall!
and then sysinstall was thrown out
>b-but she has even more commits, just not to her name!
and no one can come forward and say "yes i have commited randi's changes"
>>
>>52677587
>Theoretically nouveau should work on OpenBSD but the devs just don't care.
patches welcome

no dev is against having nouveau on openbsd but none of them ever bought nvidia hardware for obvious reasons
>>
>>52679436
Yeah it's not that anyone is against nouveau it's just there's no interest. Nouveau only tends to work on old hardware and the performance isn't great because the driver devs have to reverse everything, openbsd devs don't see any interest in porting a half functioning driver over.
>>
>>52665464
how do you even install it?
>>
>>52680726
It's the most straightforward installer ever.

Don't see how anyone would struggle with it. You can pretty much pop it in and just mash enter and it works.
>>
>>52680892
unless of course I want a custom partition scheme...

then how easy is the install?
>>
>>52680998
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28ujY4vlz4c
Well here it is.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.