[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the Android ROM community dying? Paranoid Android is dead,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 8

File: android-wallpaper5_2560x1600_1.jpg (63KB, 800x799px) Image search: [Google]
android-wallpaper5_2560x1600_1.jpg
63KB, 800x799px
Is the Android ROM community dying? Paranoid Android is dead, AOKP is dead. All the big ROMs except CM are dead.

Is the dream dead? Are people just giving up and accepting stock Google Android now?
>>
>>52652438
Replicant isn't dead
>>
>>52652447
Yeah, but they don't have widespread support of devices because of the whole being 100% free thing./

I forgot SlimROMs, is dead too.
>>
>>52652469
It's amazing really.
Two dozen manufacturers are shitting out hundreds of Android models yet NOT ONE is free as in freedom.
>>
What was the point of custom roms anyway? All you really need is root and adblock

Even then it's not necessary because it's easier to just find cracked apks.
>>
>>52652438
CM is becoming so big most people don't even consider the fact that there are other ROMs
I'm talking from my own experience
When I first looked at custom roms all I found was CM
It took me a year to find that there were more custom roms, not just from communities but from independent devs in xda
>>
>>52652504
Debloated roms are the best. My galaxy s5 had tons of bloat and was always on 1.5 GB of RAM always used, after flashing a debloated rom it went down to .97 GB used. They're really helpful.
>>
>>52652504
All the OEMs fight like hell to prevent root exploits, and Adblock needs root (system-wide adblock does, anyway).
>>
>>52652504
Not every phone allows root

Carrier load bloat beyond belief

Inb4 ditch carrier, there aren't many good options

Inb4 buy your phone directly, most people can't afford to drop $200-$300 on a cell phone.

App updates happen all the time now, so it's a hassle to keep finding cracked updates.

Choosing to ditch custom roms isn't so much a choice anymore.
>>
>>52652535

You could just disable apps from running you know. Seems much easier while having the same effect.
>>
>>52652438
>Paranoid Android
wait what
>>
>>52652587
It didn't.
>>
>>52652535
i agree, bloat is awful. tell me, what do you do with all that spare RAM?
>>
The whole mobile thing is dying if you ask me. Sure it's a goldmine for selling shitty apps but there's no interesting developments hardware or software wise.
>>
>>52652438
>google
Enjoy your botnet.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-27-11-38-03.png (188KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-27-11-38-03.png
188KB, 1080x1920px
>>52652604
It's nice to not have things close or lag, it's smooth..
>>
>>52652605
It's not so much dying as it has become the norm.
Everyone has a phone and probably an occupation where they need one now, and it's cheaper than landlines. The fact there's no new development just means we've hit a ceiling, not that it's going to die.
>>
I was looking for a good 8" tablet the other day, and obviously looked for the ones with good ROM support. There's almost nothing at all, only CM for a few big brands (Samsung, Nvidia, a few Sony/Lg).
>>
>tfw still no (perma)root for Note 4
Thanks dm-verity; at least it can't get malware
>>
>>52652564
>App updates happen all the time now, so it's a hassle to keep finding cracked updates.

This seems like the only legit complaint because you can find work arounds in stock. But then again the only apps that need constant updates are free. Media players and such don't really receive regular updates.
>>
>>52652743
the fuck?

I'm rooted on my note 4 and doesn't seem unpermanent at all, I don't understand what is the problem
>>
>>52652799
AT&T varients have a locked bootloader
>>
How long until i'm able to install iOS on my android?
>>
>>52652845
>buying locked phones
>>
>>52652905
I didn't know at the time it would still be locked down
>>
>>52652592
Haven't updated it in ages, they broke silence in October and claimed they were still alive but haven't done anything since.

OnePlus killed them.
>>
>>52652490
Probably because they can only sell Android phones on Google's terms legally, and they'd get sued as copyright thieves if they sold custom ROMs. It's fine for individuals to use them but I expect there's some legal clause prohibiting companies from doing the same, and especially selling them for profit.
>>
>What was the point of custom roms anyway?
Tons of things
>Optimized OS that uses it's resources correctly.
> useful when it has some shitty indian/chinese bloatware
>Getting updates even if your carrer stops supporting your device.
>Remove a lot of the botnet in Android.

The reason why people don't need to use CM or some shtity indian XDA rom is because they can use Xposed module or other rom optimizing apps.

>>52652888
Until somebody leaks Apple's secret ios source code(Apple will sue their ass to death), not in a foreseeable decade.
>>
>>52652564
>Can't afford to drop $200-$300
Take the fucking $60 you pay for your phone every month and put it into an account.
>>
HW on the most of the newest phones is so powerful, that there is no need to use tweaks, OC, etc. to get more usable phone anymore.
And what you get from custom ROMs is more disadvantages than advantages.

>risk of bricking your device
>random problems (there is no custom ROM I have seen with zero problems)
>security risk - trusting some random guy/group on internet.

For example, when I was using custom ROM on my Galaxy S4
>Camera quality was horrible and almost unusable with custom ROM (proprietary drives)
>Many stock features missing: Screen sharing, two apps side by side
>Occasional random reboots, BT not working, GPS not locking...

Debloating stock ROM is more than enough, just use adaway, Firewall and remove stock apps and you get the best experience out of your device.
>>
>>52652564
>most people can't afford to drop $200-$300 on a cell phone.
I was like "what the fuck are you talking about" when reading that part but then realized that contracts do exist.

Most people i know just buy the phone at full price and then decide their carrier after getting the phone.
>>
File: 1453164724899.jpg (300KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1453164724899.jpg
300KB, 1920x1080px
>>52653355
Does Google really need to shill itself on an anime imageboard?
>>
>>52652520
I don't get CM though because it still has all that google crap in it and isnt android google anyway so whats the point?
>>
>>52653395
wut
cm doesn't come with gapps and you can run cm without flashing gapps ever
>>
>>52653395
>I don't get CM though because it still has all that google crap in it
No it doesn't? CM doesn't include GAPPs.
>>
>>52652438
im just a regular guy
im not a programmer or anything
so no i dont need any custom roms, i want the most basic and pure version of android as possible without some dumb shitty gimmicks

i tried so many ROMs out back when i had my galaxy 2 but i noticed, whats the fucking point? so that my retarded launcher now looks like some ricer shit? so that my custom icons look all suprt minimalistic? its fun tinkering with it, but it just doesnt make much sense beyond that
>>
>>52653395
If by google crap you mean the gapps, those are optional.
>>
>>52653418
>>52653422
>>52653427
Oh okay because literally every video I see on people using cm or installing it they end up with google crap on there phone still, a lot of them must keep it for the playstore I guess cos its easier then downloading apks.
>>
>>52653471
Yeah, I mean most people use gapps but that doesn't mean you have to. Just use f-droid as your app store and CM's default apps are pretty good.
>>
>>52652845
Why?
>>
Custom ROMS break everything or create more annoyances than one wants. Who the hell wants a camera app that works half ass? Majority of people want ROOT at most but thats it ...

Bloat? Google will force it no matter what or goodbye app compatibility
>>
>>52653502
Yeah but I remember reading in a thrad that stores like fdroid and apks contain shitty malware and stuff in them which literally does the same thing google does. I'd rather use playstore and let google spy on me instead of some random niggers spy on me. Plus cm is full of bugs, most its apps barely work properly.
>>
>>52653610
Google shills are out in full force today, apparently.
>>
>>52652438
SAOSP

Do you have anything better than this ?
My Nexus 4 ran PA during the KitKat reign (god I loved this rom) and is now running SAOSP.

I'll take a look at what PA has become.
>>
>>52653642
>I'll take a look at what PA has become.
It hasn't become anything, the project is dead. Last build was 2015-07-06, it's still their KitKat variant with some Lollipop features shoehorned in.
>>
>>52653355
>>security risk - trusting some random guy/group on internet.
It's probably safer tbqh given you get daily updates instead of needing to wait years for companies to roll security updates
>>
>>52653631
No I don't like what google does and I would rather use cm and get rid of the google firmware but I don't want to use apks which could contain malware and even though it would be nice to get rid of all that bloat its not worth having a new firmware which has a ton of bugs.
>>
>>52653701
f-droid doesn't contain malware. Everything on it is FOSS.

Stop spreading sensationalist misinformation.
>>
>>52653726
FOSS is even worse as seeing foss software is shit and poorly developed
>>
>>52653771
Christ you are a pathetic shill, if you want to use Google then do it.
>>
Ughh i miss the good ol days with my first sndroid phone. Lg optimus g. Tried nearly every rom on it just cause it was so much fun and PAC rom was the fucking best. I miss fucking my phone up in the middle of class in highschool and having to go home, restore it on my pc and stsrt the whole shabang all over again. Also theres barely any features anymore. Wtf happend? I want the blue orb thing that paranoid android made. You know you get a notification and it pops up and you tap it and the app opens in a lil window and you dont have to leave the app your using, that was the shit. Also the tons of quick settings you could add. I got a fuckin international s6 and cant even root this piece of shit.
>>
>>52653562
Cloudy G3 2.5 has all the custom-tailored goodness of stock and none of the bad. It also supports the Xposed framework and works beautifully with all kinds of custom kernels.
>>
>>52653726
I use CM with googleplaystore. Is there any point of me using CM ?
>>
>>52653070
I thought OnePlus hired some of them to work on their OxygenOS
>>
>>52653678
Quite sad, it was a wonderful project.

Anything I should be aware of before updating to https://plus.google.com/117084000060030724781/posts/JzrJFfufhA3 ?

I'm running L 5.1
I guess I'll have to update my recovery, TWRP, to the latest version.
Then, I'll just flash the ROM, flash the latest hellcore kernel, flash SuperSU (I don't know if it's pre-rooted) and finally gapps.
Apps : HC manager / Adaway / Xposed / Amplify

Am I missing anything ?
>>
>>52653726

f-droid is great. I love the FOSS community. It is a mistake that libre/open-source means there are no security flaws or malicious software embedded in the code. FOSS doesn't indicate that it's free of these flaws, only that the source code is available to be audited to find such software. Because of the low usage of FOSS apps on f-droid, it's less likely that these programs have been audited or that they were developed by experienced, competent developers.
>>
>>52653845
Yeah, less bloat. If you like it better then use it.

>>52653851
I don't know if they hired some or hired everyone, but the PA project died at the same time. They made a statement in October that they aren't dead, but it's basically a fish in the desert using it's last breath to say it's not dead.
>>
>>52653913
Yeah its a shame though because CM gets rid of a lot of nice features that the G3 stock mod has.
>>
>>52653897
It's still a mistake it claim f-droid contains malware. It's moderated. If horrid malware ends up on f-droid it will get deleted.

Google Play is no different, but honest programs get deleted from Google Play too.
>>
>>52653981

Google Play has more funding, so I would imagine a larger percentage of those apps have been audited. Everyone should be using permissions managers and only give root access to apps from established developers anyway.
>>
>>52654021
Google play has infinitely more apps to check, and audited is probably not the word you're looking for.
>>
>no one mentioning OmniROM
You disappoint me, /g/. Who cares about the thousand variants of "Derpreed's CrapROM with h4xx0r kernel 1.337"? At least there is still Omni, an Android without any proprietary applications, making a compromise only to include device drivers. Want a phone that's free as in freedom? This is pretty much as close as it gets without gimping your device and worthy of more support. Yet, almost everyone talks only about CM and how "there's no escaping the botnet anyway".
>>
File: 1451911310023.jpg (52KB, 610x325px) Image search: [Google]
1451911310023.jpg
52KB, 610x325px
Guys, can someone show me a guide to safely root a Sony Xperia E3 with 4.4.2?

Would this do the job safely? I don't wanna fuck it up
http://blog.flexispy.com/how-to-root-the-sony-xperia-e3-d2203/

Take this Ass as an offering

>In b4 Sony
>>
Cataclysm officially died today too, not that anyone with a brain should be using Cataclysm.
>>
>>52652438
Whats a good custom room for the g3 which isnt cm because thats shit.
>>
>>52654072
OmniROM devs are Indians though.
>>
>>52654138
>Take this Ass as an offering
3dpd a shit
>>
>>52652504
I like the UI in custom AOSP ROMs. It's amazing how out of touch with reality OEM devs are, even CM devs. They STILL don't offer an option of customizing the navbar height. And despite all the features, it remains fluid as fuck.
>>
>>52654156
>>>52652438 (OP)
>Whats a good custom room for the g3 which isnt cm because thats shit.
Cloudy G3 2.5
>>
>>52654209
>3dpd a shit

Take THIS as an offering then
>>
>>52654021
>Google Play has more funding, so I would imagine a larger percentage of those apps have been audited.
I hope you don't seriously think Google gives a shit about auditing the code of every closed source app that Pajeet shits out.

Google doesn't audit code on the app store, that's nonsense.
>>
>>52652535
What stock rom project did you use?
>>
>>52654207
Seems all android devs are.
>>
I rooted and installed CM 12.1 on my Note 4. It's nice and fast with no bloat and some neat options including a theming engine. Can't wait for CM13 to be stable on this device.

The only problems I've had are that the stock camera app is bad. Flashed Snapdragon camera and it's pretty good now. One person said I sounded a little quiet on calls but others say it's just fine. Battery life seems to similar to stock.

I love the AOSP and lack of bloat. The kernel hasn't been fucked with by Samsung so I don't have to use stuff like patched versions of xposed.
>>
>>52654283
Are you even required to hand in the source? How would they do a proper audit without it?
>>
>>52654283
>>52654307
The Android developer community is the only loo Indians will poo in.
>>
>>52654341
>Are you even required to hand in the source?
No, fuck no. Google doesn't give a shit, anyone can upload an app. Google doesn't even verify, it's just up to people to flag/report malicious apps.
>>
>>52654360
So what the difference between google ps and fdroid ?
>>
File: 1448059609256.jpg (26KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1448059609256.jpg
26KB, 600x450px
>>52654360
>it's just up to people to flag/report malicious apps
Sure that'll work just fine
>>
>>52653355
>there is no need to use tweaks, OC, etc. to get more usable phone anymore

Just asking; are there any set of tweaks that actually do something and are not a placebo?
>>
>>52654372
f-droid is all FOSS.
>>
>>52654341
As of 2014 there were roughly 1500 apps being added to the play store daily. Do you really think somebody at Google was going through and checking all of their code, line by line, to make sure it was all freedom respecting and not malicious?

Proper audits can take months.
>>
>>52654419
Why would you undervolt when the screen ist the highest battery drain by far and the gain is minimal? Why would you overclock a fucking phone? This shit is utterly pointless.
>>
>>52654541
>undervolt
Lower heat.
>overclock
Better performance.
Why aren't you exploring the full potential of your hardware?
>>
>>52654515
b-but it is from play store so it must be safe right??? Also, it asked for permission to have access to my personal files, the internet, the microphone and the camera, and I heard permissions make everything safe!
>>
>>52654577
>Why aren't you exploring the full potential of your hardware?

>SD810 is thermal throttling like crazy
>OCing will unlock it's full potential

What potential? Potential of having pocket lighter? Potential pocket bomb?
>>
File: anime_made_illegal.png (36KB, 453x263px) Image search: [Google]
anime_made_illegal.png
36KB, 453x263px
One reason I still believe my Galaxy s2 was the best God damn phone I've had to date. The Rom community and support was unreal.
Currently have z2.
>>
>>52654617
Of course, anon. f-droid is full of malware, and it's just random scammers on the internet tracking you! I'd much rather have the benevolent Google logging my personal information, because they can be trusted!

Google has so much money, it's obvious that Ramjeep Khan is a trustworthy and talented developer. Otherwise why would Google allow his 50 apps on their great App Store?
>>
Aokp was amazing on nexus 4
>>
I still don't know if i should bother with custom roms on my htc one m8.

Stock sense looks fine.
>>
>>52654577
Because during the time I would spend "exploring" to achieve negligible performance gains or, more likely, not achieve anything at all, I rather work for money and buy better hardware.
>>
>>52653355
This, fuck.

I put slim on it and it as great, but the camera was godawul and the battery life started to suffer for some reason.
>>
>>52654691
>>52654691
RIP Mister Unicorn.
>>
>>52654630
>SD810
Why are you using a 2015's phone.
>>52654706
Literally 2 minutes in Synapse.
>>
>>52654259
That's more like it.

Sorry I can't help you.
>>
>>52654699
Then, no, don't do it. Valid reasons are if you're bothered by all the bloat in the stock rom or because you want your freedoms. Otherwise, you're just opening a can of worms for nothing.
>>
>>52654138
Any way is safe, you can just flash stock ROM with the flashtool.
>>
>tfw Cataclysm ROM has just died a day or two ago
fug :(
>>
>>52654785
Converting from sense to the google play edition version was tempting because of the stock android and shit, but i need to pay $25 to some indian to get s-off so fuck it.

I guess i'll stay on rooted sense.
>>
>>52654820
I remember Sense from Android 2 times. Was breddy gudd then, actually missed it when going AOSP.
>>
>>52653113
Nigger you what, AOSP is GPL
>>
>>52654909
Android is actually under the Apache licence

The kernel is GPL
>>
>>52654909
Yeah he's full of shit, OnePlus has OxygenOS. Hell, every major manufacturer uses their own version of Android.
>>
>>52654709
I'm also using Slim on my S4. Sucks that they're dead. Works mostly ok except the LTE sometimes drops when connected to Wifi for a while, then disconnecting. The battery life is also suffering lately.

Which debloated ROM should I use?
>>
>>52652504
AOSP is better than any shit skinned stock rom that Samsung, LG, etc has to offer.

Don't be such a goddamn philistine.
>>
>>52654299
Bs free rom
>>
>>52655260
Cheers
>>
File: 1451684993411.jpg (115KB, 799x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1451684993411.jpg
115KB, 799x1000px
>>52654793
>>52654771

Thank you based anons
>>
you know what's funny? most cm roms (current anyway) are nighlies. 90% of cm users install xposed right away.
bugs are not welcome if you are using nightly or xposed.
FUCK YOU
>>
>>52654449
that's the reason why it sucks donkey balls
>no app screenshots
>no changelogs
>>
>>52655939
except that almost all packages link to repo and issue tracker. changelog goes there. screenshots are not helpful anyway.
>>
>>52656144
Yes they are
How else are you going to know if an app has shit UI and is rendered useless
>>
>>52655880
>bugs are not welcome if you are using nightly or xposed.
>FUCK YOU
If you're using nightlies you should be very tolerant to possible bugs, fuck you. What the fuck do you think a nightly is?
>>
>>52656251
Install it.
Thread posts: 114
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.