[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

your thoughts /g/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 11

File: file.png (358KB, 1006x923px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
358KB, 1006x923px
your thoughts /g/
>>
File: thisbitchserious.jpg (20KB, 292x219px) Image search: [Google]
thisbitchserious.jpg
20KB, 292x219px
>>52576901
>"We migrated key functions from Windows to Linux because we needed an OS that was stable and reliable -..."
>>
Linux is a kernel, it's not an OS
What they are using is GNU userland + the Linux kernel, which is short for GNU/Linux
>>
>>52577471
I sure hope they aren't using GNU in space.
>>
>>52577550
There's nothing else that's of robustness and reliability to use.
>>
>>52576901
>tfw 2016 and no moon colony
those are my thoughts
>>
>>52577576
GNU/Linux will make it possible I'm sure.
>>
>>52577576
there's no need for a moon colony anon
the ISS is rather pointless too, actually, bringing humans when you send something into space is needless and inefficient. It's there because of leftover national-prestige concerns from the cold war and space agencies defending their budgets
>>
>>52576901

My toughts:
>tl; dr
>>
File: ayyy myspace.gif (269KB, 440x392px) Image search: [Google]
ayyy myspace.gif
269KB, 440x392px
>>52577471
So dank, so Stallman, so life.
>>
>>52577471
This is NASA. How do you know that they use GNU? How do you know that they don't writing everything for Linux without the help of the GNU system? If there is any organization with the ability to pull this off, NASA would be that organization.
>>
>>52577611
I heard that way too often. And it's bullshit.

Send an experiment with a probe and it fails, can wait for another grant term or 3 to get that experiment there and running. Find something interesting on cam but slightly too far away from the landing site, like, out of arms reach or behind a slightly too sandy slope? Well, Bummer. They'll never send a probe again just to plant it 2m beside where one already was.
Send it with an astronaut and you might be able to fix it. An astronaut is much more mobile. They get a lot of shit done much faster. This isn't deep sea where you can just tug the ROV back to the surface, modify it and send it back down with only some hours of ship rent cost to pay with. This is fucking space. The next time you'll be able to fix an issue and get that data you'll be retired.

Sure you could have replaced the whole Apollo program by some probes. A probe that walks around and collects stones to send them back and - oh - wasn't invented for another 40 years.

It's like painting a room through the keyhole. Sure you can do it. And you'll undoubtedly get better at painting a wall with a tiny brush on a 4m long match. But it'll take ages.
>>
>>52577794
If you send a probe and it fails, you've made an expensive mistake. if you send a manned mission and it fails, you've made a mistake that's not only a lot more expensive, but one that killed people in the process. Also all that space you're using for crew and life support could have been used for more instrumentation, or just to save money and launch weight so you can afford a backup mission, or something else. You're also underestimating the amount of versatility you can pack into a rover.

muh feels is the only reason to put humans outside the atmosphere
>>
>>52577559
>reliability
>>
>>52577576
You know how hot and cold it gets on the moon?
>>
>>52577907
Matt Damon came out fine.
>>
>>52578060
>When sunlight hits the moon's surface, the temperature can reach 253 degrees F (123 C). The "dark side of the moon" can have temperatures dipping to minus 243 F (minus 153 C).

>The moon tilts on its axis about 1.54 degrees — much less than Earth's 23.44 degrees. This means the moon does not have seasons like Earth does. However, because of the tilt, there are places at the lunar poles that never see daylight.

>The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter measured temperatures of minus 396 F (minus 238 C) in craters at the southern pole and minus 413 F (minus 247 C) in a crater at the northern pole. That is the coldest temperature ever recorded in the solar system, colder even than Pluto.
>>
>>52577907
Most of the money that goes into sending things into space is spent on the launch. It's much better to pack everything you need into one craft than have to perform another launch later.

I work with GPS for a living.
>>
>>52577785

What are you talking about? NASA doesn't have the skills to write a userland from scratch, and why would they? That makes no sense.
>>
DEBIAN
E
B
I
A
N
>>
>>52578060
Heat water in radiators during the sun time, then pump the water beneath the moon (on earth I'd say beneath the earth) to store the heat for use during the dark time. So long as it's well insulated you can use the sunlight for all the heating.
>>
>be me
>astronaut on ISS
>going through training
>can't wait too get into space
>one day, fat smelly nerd come's too teach us about linux
>think it's pretty dumb
>go up in space
>all of the sudden, everything stops working
>richard stallmans voice comes through the radio about some "gnu"
>tells us "we should have listened"
>ISS plummets too earth
>>
>>52577907
>If you send a probe and it fails, you've made an expensive mistake
This is space. Stuff fails. And it's natural to fail. No matter how many years they spend with finding out why, they'll always have to deal with it.

>If you send a manned mission and it fails, you've made a mistake that's not only a lot more expensive, but one that killed people in the process.
>Boo-hoo it's dangerous. No shit Sherlock. You won't get any exploration done without risk. The people that go there and are otherwise involved know this.

>more instrumentation
More instrumentation in space wouldn't and will not happen without "we need X tons to maintain a human". Because by that attempt, you'll stick with payloads that are possible and cheap - until by chance something better pops up. And those payloads we have now are only possible because they also wanted to get people up, which is neither easily possible or cheap. Asteroid mining will most likely use technology developed for payloads to send humans to Mars, funded by public money.

>you can afford a backup mission
"Why have 2 if you can have 1 for half the price?" - any given Senator

>You're also underestimating the amount of versatility you can pack into a rover.
Another 35 years, 3 missions with one being a complete failure that almost ended the entire program - and several losses of interest by the public that cut the funding - later.

>muh feels is the only reason to put humans outside the atmosphere
Kek and obviosuly the reason to not put humans outside the atmosphere

And hell, even if it was only because of "muh feels" - what do you think makes public funding flow into non-commercial space engineering?
>>
>>52578209
Be sure to steer it towards the Ameircan southeast, we don't want it to fall somewhere valuable.
>>
>>52578141
You don't need to send up building materials, since you could use 3D printing techniques using microwave laser sintering to build bricks out of moon dust- or entire structures.
There's a rover that's going to be sent up in the next decade that's going to be testing this principle by actually 3D printing crap on the moon.

If anyone cared enough they could send a couple of these to build entire structure complexes and then send people to move in. Although it'd need plenty of equipment.
>>
File: mysides5.jpg (44KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
mysides5.jpg
44KB, 400x400px
>>52578209
>>ISS plummets too earth
>it's actually a false flag
>Free software took over ISS
>target acquired: Microsoft Campus, Redmond, WA
>>
>>52578180
The moon rotates in its own axis in such a way that the side that's facing the sun is always facing the sun.

http://www.moonconnection.com/moon-same-side.phtml
>>
File: image.jpg (350KB, 806x938px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
350KB, 806x938px
>>52577471
>>
>>52578277
>The moon rotates in its own axis in such a way that the side that's facing the sun is always facing the sun.
I almost choked on that bullshit. The moon is locked to earth, not the sun.
>>
>52578274
kek
>>
>>52578150
The point is that NASA software engineers have the aptitude to never need to rely on an OS like GNU. They can write software to work directly with Linux and without relying on GNU. Remember that GNU is intended to be a full-feature general-purpose operating system. NASA's requirements are specific and tightly controlled. By removing GNU out of the picture, they would be required to write all kinds of basic functionality but such a price is tolerable when a thorough management of everything is required.
>>
>>52578277
>the side that's facing the sun is always facing the sun.
That's not how you type Earth.
>>
>>52578297
>However, since the rotational period is exactly the same as the orbital period, the same portion of the Moon's sphere is always facing the Earth.
You didn't read the link I posted my dear anonymous.
>>
>>52578274
Top zozzle
>>
>>52576901
makes sense

they should have done this when redhat 5 was a thing
>>
>>52576901
Retarded
Sure linux is stable but if something does brake then they will need a proper neckbeard to fix. As I understand astronauts are many things but neckbears is not one of them
>>
>>52578452
>does brake then they will need a proper neckbeard to fix.
ISS has a direct internet connection with Earth. Sure, latency is Australia-tier but even IF something breaks and IF they don't have someone skilled in system management and ALL the troubleshooting guides they have fail they still can resort to someone on Earth SSH'ing to the faulty machine and fix it.

I've seen people using SSH via 1200 baud packet radio, doing the same with ~10Mbit/s connectivity shouldn't be harder than this.

Sky is the limit
>>
>>52578239
I'm afraid my expertise is limited to real world technology that's been proven to work so I can't comment on that proposition.
>>
File: tumblr_mbut04duYt1rc7ih8o1_500.jpg (42KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mbut04duYt1rc7ih8o1_500.jpg
42KB, 500x375px
>>52578222
>>
>>52578831
"smart" or "dumb" phones?
cable or broadband?(no fiber)
dicks or vaginas?
in-ear or over-the-ear?
roll on or stick?
prebuilt or custom?
tap or bottled?
>>
File: vVC45.png (250KB, 511x571px) Image search: [Google]
vVC45.png
250KB, 511x571px
>>52578908
>>52578222
Sorry I accidentally grabbed the pic without your bio
>>
File: Murdock.jpg (29KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
Murdock.jpg
29KB, 640x426px
>>52576901
>DEBIAN 6
Wow just WOW.
They are setting up the space station for a suicide mission!
>>
>>52578981
Anon that's no Sid.
>>
So ... ISS enters earth atmosphere when?
>>
>>52576901
My thoughts are that Linux is taking over the Universe, yet somehow not taking over the desktop.
>>
>>52576990
>being retarded
>>
File: JoystickMastery.jpg (215KB, 770x1239px) Image search: [Google]
JoystickMastery.jpg
215KB, 770x1239px
>>52578922
I wonder if he made it..
>>
>>52576901
I run Linux on a Thinkpad.
>can I goes to space now please?
>>
>>52579185
This'll be the year of the linux desktop.
You'll see!
>>
>>52579477
Yuyufat is obsolete.
>>
>>52579185
it's just not for consumers
intelligent people in enterprise, academia, and science areas can make it work for them.
>>
>>52576901
I thought Nasa changed their logo because it was offensive and racist
>>
>>52578060
You idiot, there's no atmosphere on the moon, so you don't lose heat by convection. Interstellar space is -270 C but you don't need a heater to keep warm.
>>
>>52580971
>NASA logo
>offensive and racist
WHAT THE FUCK??!??!

DO EXPLAIN, please.
>>
>>52578452
You underestimate astronauts. Anybody who does research in hard sciences nowadays programs and uses Linux. They don't need to know how to rice their desktop, they already all know how to use gnu coreutils.
>>
>>52579477
India will be a superpower before it is the year of the ganoo lenucks desktop
>>
>>52581278
Google is basically part of India these days, so any day now.
>>
File: Poo in Loo.jpg (635KB, 910x2347px) Image search: [Google]
Poo in Loo.jpg
635KB, 910x2347px
>>52581290
That seems likely
>>
>>52578922
Well...at least he has a plan. Most of you fucks just do nothing but talk about people like this critically.
His attitude is arrogant and cookie-cutter anti-establishment, and moving to Japan is a fucktarded move. He'll figure out that was a bad decision at some point; hopefully he'll be able to develop something before he runs back home.
>>
>>52578922
>>52581426
Not even joking, but he seems like a pretty decent dude and I would hang with him.
>>
>>52581449
Those types of people usually don't bathe and stink from 100m away.
Wouldn't want to be within a mile of that kind of guy if I were you.
>>
>>52578222
>be american living in south east
>sooth carulina
>use linux
>no accent
>still retarded
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.