[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is W10 using the internet everytime you open an image?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: 1327974741374.png (252KB, 357x346px) Image search: [Google]
1327974741374.png
252KB, 357x346px
What information is it sending?? Just informing micrimosoft of the fact that you opened an image for statistical analysis?
>>
Proof?
>>
>>52539664
Just monitor the internet usage. You will see a few bytes being send/recieved every time you open an image.
>>
File: 1447959536284.png (962KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1447959536284.png
962KB, 768x1024px
>>52539643
>He fell for the Windows 10 botnet
Don't worry, it's just "system health information" :^)

capcha = botnet 30-38;
>>
>>52539761
Haha KTHXBAI.
So you guys actually do not know anything about this? Wow...
>>
File: 1424740705499.jpg (100KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
1424740705499.jpg
100KB, 500x499px
>>52539903
We all know stupid, we've known for over a year. Don;t pretend like this is news to you.
You know exactly what that shit is, what the fuck do you want us to tell you?

How about install Gentoo you fucking faggot.
>>
File: PLTZJRh.jpg (114KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
PLTZJRh.jpg
114KB, 480x270px
>>52539998
Gee at least you are not a parrot poster. Yes I know this is not news. I am aware this is known, that is precisely why I am asking... But I just saw it and realised I have never read the reason why w10 does this. Just "botnet implying meme" parrot posting.
Summarizing, the fuck that I want you to tell me is what is w10 talking with the internet when you open an image. Just curious.
>>
>inb4 it's the image viewer checking for updates.
>>
>>52540262
>Summarizing, the fuck that I want you to tell me is what is w10 talking with the internet when you open an image. Just curious.
Microsoft itself keeps droning on about how all of its detailed telemetry, including opened images, serves to improve the Windows experience. They recently bragged about how many hours were spent on Windows 10, how many files were opened and such, so this data might simply be that – the image viewer is telling Microsoft that it is running.

However, from an economical perspective, sending such minute details to central servers from all Windows computers worldwide would incur tremendous server and bandwidth costs that to a rational mind would outweigh any purely informational program usage data. For that reason many users of /g/ in particular suspect that along with usage information Windows 10 also sends data on the files you access such as the image you opened or its hash. Microsoft can then use this information for targeted advertisement. If you looked at a picture of jewellery, MS can offer jewellery ads to you.

The problem is, firstly, that this violates your privacy. A magazine sailsman doesn't know how much time you spend looking at one particular picture or article in his paper – he only knows you bought the paper. Second, this allows a slippery slope for Microsoft to do other less transparent things with your data. Say you have any content on your hard drive that may be considered illegal, Microsoft would know about it.

They recently proved they can enforce their policy on illegal apps when they deleted a version of Speccy due to alleged compatibility issues, if they can do this, then they could also delete pirated software and games, or even free software for which Microsoft offers their own proprietary alternative. For example, it deletes Mozilla Thunderbird and then offers you Outlook in stead.
>>
>>52540418
If it's the built-in image viewer (I assume so) then it doesn't make sense for it to check for updates. If there's an update Microshaft would just push out an update through Windows Update.
>>
>>52540471
Thank you kindly sir. I imagined something like that. But your answer gave me some insight. I know understand. Thanks again!
>>
>>52540471
class action lawsuit when?
>>
>>52540654
Now before too many ppl join and we get just 10 cents by check in 15 years
>>
File: prism-slide-5_2-660x495.jpg (74KB, 660x495px) Image search: [Google]
prism-slide-5_2-660x495.jpg
74KB, 660x495px
>>52540627
>Thank you kindly sir. I imagined something like that. But your answer gave me some insight. I know understand. Thanks again!
Glad to spread knowledge!

>>52540654
>class action lawsuit when?
It took about a decade for the European Union to force Microsoft to stop bundling their IE browser in Windows and to ask Europeans what browser they'd like to install on the first boot-up. The US anti-competitive laws will apparently never bother, so as far as Microsoft deleting unwanted software from computers is concerned, we are screwed.

And all the surveillance bits are either legal due to anti-terrorism laws or covertly endorsed by Anglo-American intelligence agencies such as the NSA and GCHQ (see Snowden's PRISM revelations).

If we can't be saved from above, the least we can do is not to play along and install free and open source software that respects our right to privacy and choice.
>>
>>52540765
>If we can't be saved from above, the least we can do is not to play along and install free and open source software that respects our right to privacy and choice.

I don't disagree there, but for that to work the vast majority of users must see open source being easier to use/more beneficial (it just werks). and that doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon.
>>
Nothing at all. It's really just coincidental, you need not be concerned my friend Microsoft privacy policy is very complimentary and transparent. What you hear is simply hysteria from people that use cheap substitutes as an operating system and have a poorer experience thus they become bitter.
>>
>>52540873
Not sure if trolling.
They do not have a problem telling you what they are doing that is right. When you use their OS you are making a commitment with them and you have to play by their rules. If you have no problem with that then you are lucky. If not then do not use their OS.
Yes they are a little rascal with privacy. But you play knowing this. Do not use W for your CP. But sometimes you need W, because some software or portability (if you are a dev). And WTHell, because of games.
Thing is I find interesting knowing what they are collecting. I mean, what would you collect if you were in charge of that (without memeing)? Maybe usage statistics.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.