[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

tmux vs. GNU Screen What do you use and why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: tmux-rocks-4-638.jpg (94KB, 638x479px) Image search: [Google]
tmux-rocks-4-638.jpg
94KB, 638x479px
tmux vs. GNU Screen

What do you use and why?
>>
>>52538483
Screen. tmux's keybinds conflicted with something else and I couldn't be arsed to go through its arcane tomes to figure out how to fix it.
>>
>>52538483
tmux
it's pretty much a superset of screen; as far as i know there are no good reasons to use screen aside from familiarity, and even then you can bind ctrl-a as your prefix and use it as you would screen for most things
>>
>>52539126
>ctrl-a
How do you move to the beginning of the line with screen?
>>
>>52539172
ctrl-a a
>>
neither unless I absolutely must work with one terminal.

much rather use Xorg and spawn and manipulate multiple terminal emulators and control them with much better control schemes.
>>
>>52539191
How do you make your remote sessions persistent?
>>
>>52539186
That's fucked up, man.
>>
>>52539191
what about persistence? my primary use case for tmux is keeping a lot of ssh connections/scrollback histories alive and easily accessable, the pane/tab management stuff is largely an afterthought
>>
>>52538483
On my server I use screen, just so that I don't lost everything on disconnect.

On my desktop I use a tiling window manager and just spawn multiple terminals using a keyboard shortcut
>>
used screen until I got a mac and used iterm2 which had tmux integration.
>>
>>52538483
tmux

Configuration is much less cryptic.
>>
>>52538483
I tried both. Went back to screen for the little use cases I have (when I ssh into mah server).
If I remember correctly they don't work exactly the same way, as in "not the same features". So I have like one vertical split and then cycle through the 6 other hidden windows in the right pane while leaving the left pane as it is for example.
I remember that not being that easy / straight forward in tmux or not possible.
But screen really seems old and crufty. It's already obvious because there's not easy converse to "C-a tab". If you want to rotate backwards, you have to tab all the way through again. C-a Shift <Tab> would be really useful for example.

Copy mode in screen is also nice sometimes since you can't always use the mouse. Already uses vi keybindings so I like it a lot.
>>
>>52538483
Screen. I only use it for scroll-back so I just picked between Screen and tmux at random via coinflip.
>>
>>52539011
this
screen is super compfy desu senpai desu
>>
Screen on server and tmux on desktop. I started using tmux because screen wouldn't play nice with whichever dropdown terminal I was using at the time.

Tmux seems nicer, but I never delved into the finer features of screen, only having used it to carry an irssi session, so it's hard to say.
>>
>>52538483
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxTse5Elq8s
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.