[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've got two IPS monitors - the exact same model - both

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: 2016-01-16 16.41.26.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-16 16.41.26.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
I've got two IPS monitors - the exact same model - both hooked up to the same graphics card via hdmi and both having the exact same hardware settings
(driver settings are also the same)

but they look nothing alike ...

how do you guys calibrate your multi monitor setup?
also - I might have fucked around with the windows color calibration tool a few months ago (I only had one monitor then), is there any way to reset or synchronize those settings (if they are there)?

also: general display calibration thread I guess
>>
I have the same problem, but I purchased the monitors almost a year apart. Tbh I've just learnt to deal with it, both have different wallpapers and I dont view anything on both at the same time, so I don't notice much.
>>
>>52453466
Thanks doc
>>
>>52453466
>how do you guys calibrate your multi monitor setup?

Get a colorimeter accompanying software to calibrate your monitors.
>>
>>52454651
those cost hundreds of [insert western currency here] and I can't justify buying one for the couple of displays I want to calibrate

(also, I can't find a place that rents them in my city)
>>
>>52454686
>can't justify the spending the money on the necessary tools to do what i want to do.
then hire a professional and stop shitposting
>>
>he fell for the IPS meme
I bet you also bought SSDs
>>
>>52454686

This is like buying a luxury car when you can't afford to maintain it.

Either pay up or fuck off.
>>
>the day OP learned about manufacturing tolerances
>>
I had this problem with 2 different monitors in a horizontal/vertical setup, what help me the most was adjusting the color temperature of the monitors to match as best as I could, than go from there.
>>
>>52454686
>those cost hundreds of [insert western currency here]

Buy in Canada, lel.
>>
>>52453466
lottery?
>>
>>52454729
>be me
>3 dell IPS monitors
>2 mechanical keyboards
>an ssd
im the ultimate memer
>>
Can't you just play with the settings until it looks right to you?
>>
buy a spectrophotometer if it they are wide gamut panels

or buy a colorimeter if it's a standard sRGB shit panel.

you can use argyllcms with most of the common colorimeters that I know of.
>>
How to fix all your problems
> Install Gentoo
> Remove shitty IPS panels
> Buy new factory calibrated IPS panels
> Hook everything up, put on stockings, snap a pic and post to /bst/
>>
>>52455014
>factory calibrated

get the fuck out retard
>>
>>52454747
are you telling me that everyone that has multiple monitors and wants them to look decent, also spends 150+ $ or € on a calibration tool that collects dust in a drawer?

>>52454818
I'm totally aware of that - that's why I want to calibrate them and ask how you guys do it

>>52454930
I did that for about an hour. Adjusting one thing makes another fucked up ... it's not as easy as it may look

what I might try is this:
http://tomyeah.com/monitor-color-calibration-for-free-using-your-dslr/

I'll likely do that tomorrow - if this thread isn't 404 until then, I'll post results

in the meantime - does anyone has some other idea?
(or knows a place that rents calibration hardware in Germany)
>>
>>52455176
>I'll post results

Please don't.
>>
>>52453466
That's a lot of fucking purple, anon. You need to RMA or some shit if its new.
>>
>>52455176
>are you telling me that everyone that has multiple monitors and wants them to look decent, also spends 150+ $ or € on a calibration tool that collects dust in a drawer?

I have one to make sure my single monitor is displaying color accurately. Or as accurately as a 98% gamut monitor can. You don't just calibrate once and forget it. The display will shift over time. Though less now that we're not using CCT backlights.
>>
>>52454686
just go to lagom lcd test site and adjust you're monitor to the accuracy of the tests. particularly pay attention to the black, contrast and gamma tests.
>>
>>52456316
>contrast
i mean white saturation. contrast is useful too but after the other three
>>
This thread highlights the common issue that no manufacturer bothers to calibrate their displays from the factory. Except one: Apple!
>>
>>52456451
Dell does it as well.

But all monitors change over time.
Factory calibration is only good for the first 2 months or so.
You should really calibrate every month.
>>
>>52454686
>those cost hundreds of [insert western currency here] and I can't justify buying one for the couple of displays I want to calibrate

You can also rent one from a photography shop.
>>
Have same issues. Two identical monitors but one has triple the hours so backlight is more dim and warm.

Took me about an hour fiddling with manual controls to get monitors look about the same.
>>
File: 129475b.jpg (12KB, 243x109px) Image search: [Google]
129475b.jpg
12KB, 243x109px
>MUH CALIBRATION

>all these fucking idiots ITT

do you faggots even know how displays work?

let's say you display something completely, 100% white.
in that case your display lets through 100% of the background light.

a display works like a color filter.

so if your background lighting is fucked (bad CCFL, off colored LEDs or badly aged reflection layer) you will see this color.

CALIBRATING WON'T FUCKING CHANGE THIS.

You may be able to get it "closer" to normal colors but this will work less and less the brighter the colors are since the fucked up background light will come through unfiltered.

TL;DR If you display a completely white screen and it shows anything but a true white, calibrating won't help you. If this bothers you, get a different monitor.
>>
>How to calibrate multi monitor setups on the budget with a camera:

1. Take the best camera you can get that supports custom white balance via photo read-out (pretty much all dslrs)

2. calibrate one monitor to your liking (use photos vor whatever, just set it up how you want your stuff to look like)

3. turn off all light sources other than the calibrated monitor (including windows, so you might need to do this at night)

4. take an out of focus photo of the calibrated monitor, displaying pure white,(complete frame oft the camera) and use it to set the white balance of the camera.

5. now turn off that monitor and turn in the other. Take another pure white picture. It wont be exactly white, but thats what you want

6. open that second picture in any image processing software and use 100% blur (to get the average pixel color). Use the color pick tool to get the RGB values of that color

7. use these values for calibrating the color temperature of the monitor.

8. they should look the same now. You might still need to adjust brightness/contrast, but there are some nice test-patterns for that

You might need to repeat the process a few times to get it right, depending in your camera.
You can also check your white balance settings by taking a photo of your calibrated monitor and get that average color readout, it should be true white (255 r/g/b)
>>
>>52453466
Alright look, it's easy just find the weakest colour for each monitor, it's probably blue for the left and yellow for the right, turn them up to full as they'll have to be anyway and that's a start.

Now you only have two colours to worry about for each monitor, adjust them both to get the closest White as possible, then adjust them to match as best you can.
>>
OP here, it was just the way the light was hitting the monitor. Thanks for the help. Easy fix
>>
easiest way to calibrate is to take something like a coke can, then open a HQ image of a coke can, then try to match the colors side by side
>>
>>52456753
pretty much this
>>
>>52458220
You're not OP
Stop being cancer
>>
>>52458280
No!!!!11 your not moot you don't know my Ips adress! I hit that report button next to your name buddy haha rekt
We don't forgive
>>
>>52453466
Are you sure those are the same PANELS though? Sometimes monitor companies source their panels from more than one manufacturer with same properties or may switch supplier. Even when they are from the same manufaturer, the manufacturing technology may have changed during the production.

These things happen, that is why sometimes in for example car industry during mass product recalls two exactly same cars a few days apart may be or not be affected with certain defect because until april 15th they used this grease and since april 16th they used that grease.

Get it calibrated for a few bucks.
>>
File: 000005002.png (396KB, 1241x1099px) Image search: [Google]
000005002.png
396KB, 1241x1099px
>Minecraft in both docks
>>
>>52458939
Win clones your docks by default
>>
>>52453466
>windows 10
>chrome
>spotify
>skype
>minecraft
kill yourself
>>
>>52453466
bought two ips monitors and connects through hdmi. you guys never cease to amaze me as a tech board. daisy chaining or bust
>>
>>52453466
You got burned son. Sorry. Same thing happened to my friend. Different production runs. That's why I made sure to buy my monitors at the same time. Its the only way to ensure this shit won't happen.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.