[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are technology majors good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: sanders_rdax_758x395.jpg (247KB, 758x395px) Image search: [Google]
sanders_rdax_758x395.jpg
247KB, 758x395px
I'm flip flopping between mechanical engineering and computer science as my university major and I've recently started leaning towards computer science. Does anyone have any experience studying or working in this field?
>>
>>52392680
Of course they're good but you'll have a bunch of autistic NEETs on here telling you otherwise because after all, this is /g/.
>>
>>52392680

>experience?

sure.
waddya wanna know kid?
>>
>>52392680
I'm currently studying CS. There are a lot of internship opportunities in the states and if you really push yourself to work on side projects along with doing decently in school it is pretty easy to score interviews.
Once you land an internship or two it will be smooth sailing from there in terms of your career. You usually get a return offer and even if you don't play to go back for full time, the work experience is really good for getting more interviews.
>>
>>52392680
They're both solid choices, but with CS you run the risk of getting through four years and realizing you suck at programming or you hate it. Don't just do CS because everyone says it kicks ass. It only kicks ass if you can program and you enjoy it. Otherwise, it's the most mind-numbing task imaginable.

In reality, whichever you'll enjoy more is the best choice. If you're not sure, take an introductory class in both. It's fine not to know now, but whichever you end up in could very well be what you spend the majority of your waking hours on for the rest of your life.
>>
>>52392996
Most university graduates seem to dislike their jobs. From what I've seen, it's because their work tends to be mundane. Do you find this to be the case? Are you happy with your current work situation? Did you actually enjoy your time in school?
>>
>>52392680

Currently wrapping up my BS in CompSci. I've realized I suck massive man balls at it I've already paid too much in tuition. I have known people who find it enjoyable, so I guess it depends on the person. Gonna emphasize what

>>52393082
said. CS is a bretty competitive major and if you just do only the coursework(even if you ace everything), you'll likely get beat out at internships by those who do have side projects or other relevant experience
>>
>>52393099
>their work tends to be mundane. Do you find this to be the case?

ok so speaking as a programmer.
yes there are many, many boring jobs out there. most of them in fact.
in my experience the interesting jobs are in engineering, defence, medical.
there are still some crap ones even there, but the odds are better.
knocking up web pages for some bank is beyond dull.

>Are you happy with your current work situation?

yes, cos i stick to those areas i mentioned. the work problems are interesting, you often have to do things no one has done before. you have constraints within which the problem must be solved, which makes it intellectually satisfying.

>Did you actually enjoy your time in school?

yes, cos i hung with the nerds.
>>
>mechanical engineering

Saturated AF
>>
You should look into CS if you like programming and the theory behind computing, and what we can do with computers.
If you're interested in hardware and want an emphasis on programming, study computer engineering.
Otherwise study electrical engineering or pure math.
>>
>>52392680
Honestly, try them both, take few intro classes in both. If I remember correctly, 60% of the people change major at some point realizing it's not for them or finding passion in other thing, happened to me too. It's very likely you'll find something else that you're interested in. Really, try anything from CS, CE, ME, EE, physics, chemistry, whatever when you've got the chance.
>>
File: 1439580180967.png (60KB, 419x248px) Image search: [Google]
1439580180967.png
60KB, 419x248px
Software Engineer
$60k
feelsgoodman.png
>>
At my school (a school in Canada that doesn't have a city or province associated with its name), the CS undergrads are working as Software Developers mostly in North America. Several of my friends are working in cities like New York and San Francisco doing Web Dev work. I met a few people that do some embedded programming. A few others worked at banking firms while they were studying too. They said that they had a shitty quality of life because if it wasn't school work they were doing, it was work. However, they did say that for the sake of experience, networking, and employment opportunities, it's amazing. A small handful of people I know went to the QA route. People that worked in the IT department part-time are now in IT full time. A lot of students that did co-op/internships started off in QA and then moved onto development positions from there. I did that and realized that I don't want to be just a developer because I find it boring. Sure, writing programs and creating software solutions is a lot of fun every now and then, but it gets old. I'd much rather do it just to get another task done, rather than do it as a 35-40 hour week job.

I do know a few people that wanted to get into Data Science but couldn't find a job with just a CS degree, and are now doing their Masters/Phd to get into Data Science.

I'm a Statistics major/Compsci minor.
>>
>>52392680
>>52393184

I went to school for Computer Science at a school ranked in the mid 60s in the US for the major. I had an internship at a top tech company and now have a fulltime job. I love my job, and I would've been extremely lucky to be where I am now without going to school. The pay is really good too, even for my area.
I had a pretty good group of friends at school so my time was very enjoyable, and I enjoyed the coursework quite a bit, but YMMV.
As for mechanical engineering, I had friends who were in the major who had similar experiences as me.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.