[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

C++ or Java?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: swastika_pictures_1985906995.jpg (176KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
swastika_pictures_1985906995.jpg
176KB, 1024x576px
Should I learn Java or C++, /g/?

My goal is to program Applications with a GUI, which are not too big and can be programmed alone. High Graphics are not important, speed is though. Maybe something a bit more sophisticated as the touhou-series, but capable for fluent, stable 3D. I want as least restrictions as possible. I'm already experienced in JavaScript, PHP and other Weblanguages.
>>
>3D
>speed
C++
>>
>>52349835
>I want as least restrictions as possible
Sepples. Or, if you really mean that, Assembler.
>>
>>52349835
>Java is an object-oriented language, dude. That means it's easy to for newbies but slow.
It means nothing of that kind. C++ is also an object-oriented language, yet it hard to learn for beginners and fast.
>>
Java is slow may may strikes again. Yet its one of the fastes languages.
>>
Use a game engine for games, like unity. It's less work to do
>>
>>52350021
>yet it hard to learn for beginners
Not really. They're's just so much shitty C++ educational material out there anon that will make it a mindjob for the beginner.

Just learn from PPP2 + cppreference.com and you're gud2go.
>>
>>52350082
>expecting web dev to know how to read cpprefference.com
this aint php manual we are talking about, maybe op is a kido and should do java first
>>
>speed is though
Explain. Are you calculating prime numbers?
>>
Java is easy to work with a gui. I've been coding an Android app and it's very straight forward. Idk if it's better than c++ tho
>>
>>52349835
java is faster than anything you'd need unless you are shit with your algorithm in which case c++ isn't going to help
>>
What about solving some logic problems etc?
>>
>>52352173
Logic problems? Use prolog.
>>
C++ and Qt is good for learning making applications and graphical interfaces.

To get started: install qt creator and read the tutorial https://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Then you should do some excersices you find relevant, probably small functions that just spits out the text as a result so you know it works.

When you have made a couple of exercises and think you understand the syntax, read up on data structures and basic algorithms and learn about all the STL datatypes C++ offers.

Now that you can solve some problems, learn Qt.
This can be done by making an interface for one of your applications.
Learn how to map functions to button presses and how to make a layout by using their online documentation.

A good example people with few weeks experience should be able to do is to load an image, apply a filter and save the image.
There is a lot of libraries for this, but try to do everything yourself first.
When I started, we used the ppm format which is basically a readable text format of an image.

The tutorial I linked to covers all this.
>>
>>52349835
They both are exactly the same so just flip a coin.
Heads - c++
Tails - java
>>
>>52352396
Second for this, although I'd recommend the following link as a learning resource:

https://web.stanford.edu/class/cs106x/index.html

The hardest part about learning C++ is how massive the language it is, so it is very difficult to grasp it just by googling tutorials and examples. The course website has all of the materials you need to build a strong foundation in the basic features of the language in a structured way. It also lightly delves into working with 2d graphical APIs, although the focus is mainly on ADTs.
>>
>>52352396
Good advice
>>
>>52350082
This, I actually found c++ much easier to learn than anything else I tried learning.
>>
GUI work in Java Swing is super quick and easy.
It's easiest to write everything in Java, but you can write the GUI in Java and the backend in C/C++.
>>
>>52349835
Oh man you should focus on the WebLanguages, that's how you get a job.

Once you know Java and make an Application with a GUI you can move on to it's big brother, JavaScript. It's pretty much the undisputed King of WebLanguages.
>>
Friendly reminder that c++ & java is harmful. Use GO instead =)
>>
>>52352714
>They both are exactly the same s
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>52353108
GUI programming in Java is fucking hard compared to .net. Good luck placing gui elements where you want them with java
>>
>>52353343
>Good luck placing gui elements where you want them with java
Layout managers are a thing for a reason, anon.
>>
>>52353108
You don't know what easy is until you've used WPF.
>>
File: Girls.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
Girls.png
490KB, 449x401px
>>52353378
>he needs to use layout managers to organize the placement of his user controls
>>
C++
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.