[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is metal perceived as a 'better and more premium'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: iphone6s-scene2.jpg (33KB, 362x532px) Image search: [Google]
iphone6s-scene2.jpg
33KB, 362x532px
Why is metal perceived as a 'better and more premium' material for devices?

>Bad for antenna design
>Dents and bends if not properly designed
>Often slippery (so you'll put a case or skin over it, so you won't feel the 'premium' material anyway)
>>
Ceramic is the best but few manufacturers do it.
I can't stand the glass back trend, my hands don't sweat much so I had to put a wrist strap on my Z3 cause it's so damn slippery
>>
Ceramic?

I thought that stuff was really brittle, so if you drop it, you're fucked
>>
>>52246993
There are so many different kinds of ceramic, but essentially no. They even make bulletproot/bombproof suits lined with ceramic plates.
>>
File: 1403038997958.jpg (133KB, 776x678px) Image search: [Google]
1403038997958.jpg
133KB, 776x678px
>>52246986
Maybe lose a few hundreds pounds fatass
>>
now that the dust has settled, which is objectively the best plastic to make glossy gaudy phones with?
>>
Because luxury goods are often metallic. Metal goods usually feel durable, even if they aren't in some respects. Cheap shit is often plastic. Plastic goods often feel cheap, unless they're made with dual-injection molding, which they usually aren't. Aside from that, the tactile aspects of both materials need to be taken into consideration. Some people prefer the feeling of metals to plastic.

There are ways around these issues, but they usually require manufacturers to be creative. For example, leather goods are often seen as luxury items. So the LG G4 ships with a leather backplate that, admittedly, feels pretty nice even though it's incredibly thin bonded faux leather.
>>
>>52247032
Hands don't sweat m8, cause I lift and they're callused as shit
>>
>>52247079
Also, a point to consider is cooling.
You can use a metal case as a heatsink. That doesn't work with plastic, so you'd need active fans even in low power devices.
>>
I agree, OP.

Though the first phone I've held that felt both premium and made from plastic was the Xperia Z5/Z5C/Z5P.
It's stupid how long it took for someone to finally get it right.
>>
>>52247509
>phones
>active fans
What?
>>
>>52247509
galaxy s5?
>>
>>52247552

>premium phone
>green text bubble

Pick one and only one you fucking poorfag
>>
>>52247023
>They even make bulletproot/bombproof suits lined with ceramic plates.
Those plates are supposed to crack and break.
What you want from a bulletproof vest is to absorb all (or almost all) the kinetic energy of the bullet while deforming as little as possible (so as to stop it from penetrating you). Ceramic materials are used because they have very high toughness and very small deformation to fracture.
>>
>>52247701
fuck off apple shitposter
>>
>>52247606
My bad, I mistook OP pic for a laptop.
>>
>>52247971
keep crying all the way to the waaaaahmbulance, poorfag.
>>
>>52246993
Glass is brittle too. There are as many kinds of glass as there are of ceramics. Be more specific
>>
>not preferring plastic, the modern material of the space age
>durable, modern, flexible, economical
Anything else is pure plebbery.
>>
because it comes from worn-torn genocidal nations. these countries are always the source of the most premium materials. not because of the actual mineral profiles, but because primitive/conflict regions add a sense of romance to the product.
>>
>>52248674
Honestly, I'd pay a lot more for an Iphone case carved from ebony stained with the blood of child soldiers than a solid gold case.
>>
>>52247132
This, poor fatcakes desperately needs someone fatter than him to lash out on.
>>
File: red-nexus5[1].jpg (122KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
red-nexus5[1].jpg
122KB, 400x400px
>>52247056
Obviously the one on the Nexus 5.
>>
Why aren't phone cases made out of carbon fiber? It's much lighter and stronger than any metal or plastic, and at such small scale it's not really expensive
>>
>>52247868
They are designed to shatter when faced with very high impulses like a bullet or bomb, a simple drop wouldn't do anything.
>>
Truly the greatest material is a composite of rubber with a hard ceramic exterior. Drop resistance and scratch resistance.

I expect royalties if anyone does this
>>
Because tech blogs say so and they're run by hipsters
>>
whatever that glass thing on the back of the z5/z5c

no fingerprint marks everywhere
not slippery at all
feels/looks premium af
doesnt look like glass.
>>
>>52246993
I though that Ceramic doesn't pass signal.
>>
>>52249060
It shatters more easily and when it does, it's extremely dangerous, as the shards will be very sharp.
Broken carbon fiber can really fuck you up
>>
>>52251005

It's just frosted tempered glass.

I actually really like the brown leather G4 - shot looks nice as fuck.

The only problem is that they didn't do as good a job with the removable cover as Samsung did on the note 4. The note 4 cover is incredible as far as its thinness and ease of removal/reattachment is concerned - it comes right off and snaps right on really and smoothly and never seems to wear down or get loose over time.
>>
>>52251077

Such a small amount of carbon fiber would never break with a fall. You'd have to take a hammer to it, and even still it would take quite a bit to shatter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA1jVQu-Fgk
>>
>>52251005
it's frosted glass, funny thing is, replacement one is 15bux on ebay.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.