[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thrift Shop /g/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0196[1].jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0196[1].jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
So I just picked up this Escient Fireball for $15. Seems to work fine. 160GB PATA hard drive and a CD burner. Just blasted some weeaboo bullshit and it sounds great.

But the only video output is through composite, and I'd like to be able to control it from my PC. Is there any way to SSH into this thing? It's connected to the Internet but doesn't appear on my network.
Custom firmware or anything? The company that made it appears to be dead. Does anyone have any experience running these boxes?
>>
File: IMG_0197[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0197[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
and the aforementioned weeb shit.

I tried putting a Sega Saturn game with redbook audio in there, and it didn't like that much.
>>
bump for technology
>>
>>52237182

How about using google instead of asking stupid questions

PROTIP: No custom firmware, you should be able to set it up to access other drives through your home network
>>
>>52237182
>Just blasted some weeaboo bullshit
That poor thing
>>
I buy all my monitors at thrift stores. Fuck your fancy Ben-Q 144Hz 0.3 ms input lag
>>
Recent thrift pickups
Nabi2 tablet, $12. Unfortunately the thing doesn't charge via its USB port, so I had to order a charging cable ... which ironically draws from USB.
3rd gen iPod Nano, $10. First time I charged it, it drained before the first song was done. But somewhere between fully discharging or resetting the thing, I got the battery life is back up to a good level.
Ton of pogs. Not entirely sure why I buy them other than they're "neat."
>>
File: monitor.png (238KB, 482x733px) Image search: [Google]
monitor.png
238KB, 482x733px
>>52237942
CL here.
E248WFP. 1920x1200, 5ms, 400 cd/m2
It has one stuck pixel that I can't see unless I lean in, and a small (tip-of-thumbnail sized), mostly transparent scuff in the middle.
It also won't auto-detect going into Windows. You need to turn it off and back on. But I never reboot so it's not a problem.

Colors are incredible, and I think the absurd brightness magnifies the contrast.
>>
>>52237942
same here. thrift stores, pawn shops, and craigslist. have way too many monitors because of it though. best was probably a 1080p 23in LG monitor for $40.
>>
>>52237819
Google takes me to nothing but 10-year-old reviews and the bankrupt manufacturer's support page. /g/ seems to have more esoteric knowledge and is ace with audio gear, so I didn't think it was a particularly stupid question.
>>
>>52238615
im using a pair of DELL E228WFP and
DELL E207WFP

They aint bad but I really should upgrade
>>
>>52237819
How about writing in a notebook instead of shitposting here?
>>
>>52237942
My entire setup is secondhand, with the exception of my main monitor and my graphics card.

I got my PC for $30, right off a thrift shop floor. Lenovo prebuilt with an i3, been upgrading it for the past few years and it's a really solid computer.
>>
>>52240005
For maybe a decade straddling 2000, Thrifts supplied me with several Macs that I used as my primary machine. LC pizza boxes, Quadra 630, Power Mac 5400, Powerbook 1400, Color Classics & other compact models. Also got a Newton 130, and almost a 2100 ... found an empty box, with a $100 price tag, so I'm not sure if I would've bought it or not.
>>
Good will is your/my friend. Got a $200 (still goes for $180) nighthawk something router for $20, $1000 (msrp) receiver for $20, $7 for nice pair of speaker(100w 8ohm), $7 subwoof that does about 100w, $15 for a nice $200 ($100 currently) vacuum, $10 for a nice brand new 850 platinum evga modular psu, etc

Bunch of cool stuff can be found at goodwill.
>>
>>52237182
Found a huge amstrad 386 laptop for a fiver
>>
>>52240412
Nice. I just paid $100 for a Denon AVR-2803 and $30 for a Sony SA-WMSP4 8" 100W powered sub off CL.
My Goodwill has nice clothes, but not so much with electronics.
>>
File: a fucking day.png (99KB, 1453x807px) Image search: [Google]
a fucking day.png
99KB, 1453x807px
>>52240251
When I was a kid, my local PTA thrift shop would get machines, but had no technically-competent people on staff, so if it didn't immediately boot Windows or MacOS, they tossed it in a junk pile out back to get rained on.

I rescued so many Mac classics, two Mac IIs, one a CD-caddy equipped CX with someone's Blue Oyster Cult collection on it, and more 486 and Pentium 1 machines than I can even remember. I had 20 working computers at one point, one of the 486s was loaded with every single Apogee game you could buy in 1995.

So I went out to another thrift shop and bought a cheap TV, figured out the Fireball's web interface and network, and now it's taking 10 hours to store 30 gigs of music.
Apparently it plays FLAC too. Can't imagine how long I'd have to wait to get a single album on there.
>>
Bought an old calculator, a trackball, and some cozy tights, just in time for chilly weather we've been having this week.
>>
>>52241026
My good will is full of blacks, it's terrible, you can literally only find shit (Miami Area) I would never wear clothes from there, maybe Ross, and etc. I just bought some Diamond Supply shirts at zumiez
>>
File: webinterface.jpg (253KB, 1717x869px) Image search: [Google]
webinterface.jpg
253KB, 1717x869px
So, fun facts about the Fireball
>proprietary OS with a single person trying to crack it and several mysterious internet wizards who make money off repairing them
>company apparently manufactured "golden disks" for system restore
>the small amount of audiophiles who run these things are autistic about hosting the software online, even though the company is dead
>none of the autotagging or internet radio features work because they go through Escient's servers

Pretty neat little unit for what it can do though. Further research indicates it was serviced recently and the 160GB drive is not stock equipment. The PSU is new too.
Not sure I woulda paid $599 in 2005 for what is essentially an Xbox Huge that doesn't play games, but whatever.
>>
>>52237182
>PATA

Underage b& detected.

It's fucking IDE you newfag.
>>
>>52244698
What-the-fuck-ever. I'm 27, I can call it whatever I damn well please.
The drive says Parallel ATA on the label but everyone knows what it means.
Go be autistic somewhere else.
>>
>>52244698
you sound like a level 10 supersperg, fuck off.
>>
>>52244698
No, it's actually called PATA.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.