[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>using Arch >tries to install latest AMD catalyst drivers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

File: This Displeases Luigi.jpg (7KB, 198x341px) Image search: [Google]
This Displeases Luigi.jpg
7KB, 198x341px
>using Arch
>tries to install latest AMD catalyst drivers from AUR using yaourt
>follows post on github on how to do it properly
>installs successfully
>reboots
>x is now broken
>mfw
>>
Do what the rest of us do. Pretend cli is better.
>>
>>51582998
At least your computer didn't hard lock in the middle of installing those drivers and brake x when you logged back in. This is why I don't use Arch anymore. It's a little too bleeding edge for me. Thanks for beta testing this stuff for me though.
>>
>>51582998
>tries to install latest AMD catalyst drivers
I found your problem.
>>
File: le-arch-distro.png (78KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
le-arch-distro.png
78KB, 1200x1200px
>>51582998
arch
it just werks
>>
>using linux
>needs a trucking guide to install graphics drivers
>mfw

windows i download double click install and reboot and its finished. Linux really is a joke of an OS.a guide to install drivers...wow
>>
>installs serious software from aur
>expects it to work flawlessly
thats why its in the aur and not in the official repos until its been tested, ya fuck
>>
amd drivers are a joke anon. how do you not know that already?

>>51583163
same thing happened to me on the ubuntu wily werewolf update. but not a babby like OP so I knew how to rollback.
>>
>>51583201
he didn't need to do that at all, installing them with yaourt should be all he needs to do, OP is a retard.

>>51583205
Catalyst drivers were dropped from the official repos because they're that bad.
>>
File: smwindows.jpg (106KB, 1199x894px) Image search: [Google]
smwindows.jpg
106KB, 1199x894px
>>51583201
>graphics drivers
>needing to reboot
>>
>>51583780

>thinks you can run games at their best without non os supplied graphics drivers

>OP uses linux and had to reboot also
>>
>>51583826

forgot pic
>>
>>51583848
post your best loli
>>
>>51583163
>arch
>it just wrerks
>>
>>51582998
>use arch
>have to reboot to update drivers
systemd: not even once
>>
File: HansenGif1.gif (33KB, 396x468px) Image search: [Google]
HansenGif1.gif
33KB, 396x468px
>>51584143
>>
>>51584190

>wat is hebe
>>
File: dance.gif (3MB, 200x220px) Image search: [Google]
dance.gif
3MB, 200x220px
>>51582998
>gives up if something doesn't work out first try like he wants to
>Blames others.

HEY GUYS WANNA PLAY FIND THE 12 YEAR OLD?
Oh i guess i already found him...
>>
>>51582998
>using AUR
>install latest AMD catalyst drivers
i think i found your problem
please lrn2Arch
>>
>>51583201
Look, windows automates everything for the users. Just because you do not do it doesn't mean a process does not do it for you.

When you remove automation you remove a lot of over head. Understanding why linux can run on 200megabyte of ram while windows requires 1gig to even be usable.

You are also comparing windows to linux.

Here's a cap.

>Linux will only die if you update with a broken package, or the machine you are running it on dies.

One report even showed a linux based centOS 6 machine running 5 years straight with zero restarts in a mission critical environment (simulated) while providing required updates.

While a windows 2008R2 server and windows 7 client in the same environment required a restart 23 times in 5 years with the reason of lockups, sudden system fails and other retarded non users created things.

Sure windows is a easier system to create simply network functions, but if performance, money, and application fail-over is your requirements then windows is a piece of shit.

Linux (the kernel), handles input and output at a better rate. Debian linux ( a brand of many) has input tcp wrappers and iptables which can systematically protect your system from applications which abuse the TCP streaming protocols.

A common attack on windows systems is abusing the kernel and the windows firewall. Since you can configure iptables to do and block anything, one attack does not fit all. Unlike windows where people have the default firewall .ddl and .arg which then add software and blocks onto the default layout. Yeah mate. Security risks exists for windows.

I would like to just say. LINUX IS A CUNT. but a cunt that is efficient and better designed for computing then windows.

Software raiding is better on linux then windows. Almost never bugs the fuck out.

Yeah, I am just blabing on to a retard audience
>>
>>51582998
Of all the distros I've gone through, Arch was probably the most stable one. Heck, if you are not extremely stupid any distro is stable (except for netrunner and antergos).
>>
File: 1412272836569.jpg (35KB, 478x480px) Image search: [Google]
1412272836569.jpg
35KB, 478x480px
>>51583201
>double click install and reboot and its finished
I have never had to reboot when installing graphics drivers
>>
File: 1447809933478.png (162KB, 800x613px) Image search: [Google]
1447809933478.png
162KB, 800x613px
>no one else posting lolis
>>
>>51584351
amen
finally someone who understands.
yes linux is a huge bitchy fucktard to deal with at times, but it still beats the alternatives
>>
>>51584351
Mind you when you update enough the centOS 5 systems did manage to become centOS 6 because updating the system practically makes the packages on the same level. Introduction of software like management tools were not installed. I should have said centOS 5 not 6 but meh. I read the study long ago.
>>
>>51584405
no. Don't.
>>
>>51584424

>said no one ever I like to actually use my pc for things and windows never crashes or has probnlems
>>
>>51584405
post your best makise
>>
>>51584439

why?
>>
>>51584440
I am currently using centOS for playing csgo but dw mate I am not comparing a gaming feature to operating systems because unemployed people are the only ones to care about the games...

Oh mine you, I have 10 disk raided together using software. Free, has yet to fail me.

I tried it on windows, restarted, kept flashing on and off, then nothing.

Fuck you windows kek. You use your system for the most uninteresting functions. Watching movies and jacking off to anime can be done on a shitty android tablet you retard,

>gg faggot
>>
Honestly, the only extremely frustrating reoccurring issues I've ever had with Arch stemmed from using Catalyst drivers, and the last time I used Catalyst drivers on Arch was at least 4 years ago so it's nice to see that nothing's changed on that front. I've got 2 laptops running Arch that have Intel graphics and they work flawlessly.
>>
>>51584440
>NOOOOO KVM = windows

KVM = visualization freedom for the freetards.

%70 faster then host based visualization. Comparing to hyperV. the most abused and attack hypervisor interaction used by all windows systems from windows 7 and up it out performans on windows and linux machines.

Easiest way to exploit the windows kernel.
>>
>>51583201
If you think this is bad you ain't seen shit...Linux is so much more broken than you realize.

If you can believe it the directions they followed likely involved a FUCKING COMMAND LINE. As in you have to type dos like commands.

Linux is fucking broken.
>>
>>51586446
>working exactly how it was designed to
>it's fucking broken

ok
>>
>>51586485
Sorry but no. Linux will fucking break at the front of a hat. Unstable as shit.

Tried mandriva, mint, Ubuntu and Fedora. I've had experience with this personally.

Can't install a program and run it without a warning about missing packages...even if you used the graphical installer that comes with the fucking OS. Or when they randomly break and no longer work 3 weeks down the road.

Want a new program? Sure Linux has plenty but good fucking luck finding one for your specific distribution. Take a look at my distro list above. Mainstream doesn't even work right.

No Linux simply is a broken mess. And until someone admits it then it stays that way.
>>
>>51586485
And that's not even getting into the hassle of WiFi Linux drivers.
>>
>>51582998
>latest AMD catalyst drivers
Found your problem. No seriously, they're garbage.

This is a pretty straightfoward fix though, no point in whining here.
>>
>>51586640
>hassle of WiFi Linux drivers
That literally only applies to some broadcom chips.
>>
On this note, if you want things to just work, use some other distro. Arch isn't stable. Period. Things are gonna break (especially if you're using AMD, their drivers are shit -- and their linux drivers are even more shit).
>>
Catalyst is shit to use on arch, it's never compatible with the latest xorg-server and using an older version of X is the path to lots of breakage when you update the system.

tldr: install gentoo, portage > pacman
>>
File: 1329549399513.jpg (191KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1329549399513.jpg
191KB, 1680x1050px
>>51582998
>tries to install latest AMD catalyst drivers
>from AUR
>using yaourt
>follows post on github
wew
>>
>>51586706
OK so Linux doesn't have many massive issues because... You think one of the many many issues is to you personally unimportant?

Not a good defense. Of either Linux OR its users base. Double damned.
>>
>>51587146
>Linux doesn't have many massive issues
It doesn't really. 99% of these issues are just user error or not the fault of the OS.
>>
>>51586618
But it literally does

Fuck off shill
>>
>linux literally has no driver abi compatibility
>>
>>51584351
>Look, windows automates everything for the users. Just because you do not do it doesn't mean a process does not do it for you.
It literally doesn't
Most of the time you have to install drivers from a shitton of different vendors pray they work with your current Windows version, then you have to look around for whatever you need through a shitton of different vendors too
If something needs to be updated you will be lucky if your programs have an auto updater, but most of the time you have to hunt down updates
>>
>>51587393
This.
>>
>>51583201

Nah, it's only the 1337 distros that make shit complicated for no reason. It's pretty easy in distros like any *buntu or Mint or even Slackware. I normally just apt-get install [drivers].
>>
>tfw linux 'just werks' but Windows would always break on me
People will think i'm trolling but it's completely honestly my experience. For years even after posting on forums etc I could just never get windows to let my laptop go into sleepmode without crashing, network drives would keep losing connection, occasional 'program has stopped responding' shit, VPN constantly drop connection ever hour or 2, would have to constantly manually update programs going to their websites, have to install some dodgy third party application to turn some JPGs into a PDF. Nothing like that happens to me anymore. I honestly find it hard to believe people's stories about saying linux is a broken nightmare but windows works perfectly for them
>>
>fglrx
your fault desu senpai
>>
File: amd.png (8KB, 492x320px) Image search: [Google]
amd.png
8KB, 492x320px
>>51582998
Why are you using the AUR for this?
Pic related, the drivers are in the repos
>>
>>51588732
That's the open source driver, I'm talking about the proprietary AMD Catalyst Driver.
>>
>>51588784
AMDGPU works better in about 90% of use cases.
Wait until AMD submits their huge changes to the kernel and you should be getting 100% performance.
Using any critical system component of the AUR (or self-compiled) is asking for trouble on a rolling release distro.
>>
>install an unsupported package of proprietary software
>complain when it doesn't work
ok
>>
>>51588819
it literally has subpar opengl support though
>>
>>51588864
Yeah, that's why I said 90%.
It'll drive your desktop, browser, HD video and what not just fine for now.
If you're trying to play games I suggest just waiting for the new driver or using a point release distro like Kubuntu or something.
>>
>>51588819
I actually use the xf86-video-ati driver.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.