[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best X11 window manager?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: X11.png (105KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
X11.png
105KB, 512x512px
What is the best X11 window manager?
>>
>>51574186
DWM
>>
cwm
>>
xmonad
>>
>>51574246
this
>>
>>51574186
OpenBox if stacking, either herbstluft or awesome if tiling.
>>
>>51574186
Awesome all the way. The lua API it provides is wonderful.
>>
>>51574630
>2015
>programming-language specific APIs
I don't understand why someone would take wmii and remove 9P. What a fucking abortion.
>>
>>51574246
this
>>
>>51574644
>2015
>trying to shove cairo commands through a 9p pipe for the custom widgets
This is why.
>>
Why are you not using DWM?
>>
>>51574670
>cairo commands
What are you talking about?

>9p pipe
What?
>>
i3, its a great tiling WM. Been using it for four or five months now on my laptop.
>>
>>51574246
Dammit, do I have to switch from bspwm?
>>
>>51574727
Awesome gives you a full cairo surface to draw your widgets on for fully custom, fully animated widgets. You pretty much need an api (in this case libcairo) to pull that shit off. I have a full set of custom widgets I wrote, would it be easy to port to work over 9P? If it is, I might actually take a look at wmii (though I do like lua and awesomes api).
>>
>>51574375
what the fuck is herb slut?
>>
MATE
>>
Openbox of xfce
>>
>>51574186
In my opinion, bspwm. I tried a lot of WMs but bspwm is my all time favorite
>>
The only tiling window manager i've ever used is i3. I like it. Easy to configure but pretty lightweight.
>>
>>51574246
This guy knows what's up
>>
w9wm, dwm, mwm
>>
>>51576825
gwm is perfect for LISP hackers btw
https://www.sics.se/~aho/gwm/
>>
>>51574337
i agree
>>
>>51576839
>implying lisp is relevant today
get out
>>
>>51576935
LISP/scheme/guile is incredibly relevant in the AI and VR fields. You obviously have no experience in the academic realm. My adviser is a big proponent of functional programming. In fact I just finished a scheme interpreter for him in our compilers and language design course.
>>
>>51576945
i doubt that dumbo. stay mad
>>
>>51576984
I literally work in the field. I will not take the ramblings of someone who knows nothing tell me otherwise.
>>
>tfw don't know jack shit about programming but use dwm because mad lightweight and fast.
>>
Emacs X Window Manager https://github.com/ch11ng/exwm/
>>
>>51576945
>LISP/scheme/guile is incredibly relevant in the AI and VR fields.
No.

Just because your professor used LISP in the 70s and stuck with it doesn't mean it has any relevance for modern research.
>>
>>51576999
your name is toby
>>
>>51574337
i agree too

shame the linux ports are dead
>>
ratpoison
>>
>>51574186
I have used gnome kde xfce openbox awesome and i3 in that order
My favorite is i3 (for my dev job)
i3>openbox=xfce>awesome=gnome > kde
explorer.exe at home though
>>
>>51574890
Anything works over 9P because 9P is a way to transfer bytes between processes, local or remote.

>Awesome gives you a full cairo surface to draw your widgets on for fully custom, fully animated widgets
Seems a bit silly to me. Why not simply write each whiz-bang widget as a tiny almost-standalone X/Cairo/SDL/Allegro program? Why would the window manager have to provide anything more than a file descriptor or handle to provide surface integration?

wmii is controlled by writing text to various synthetic files -- therefore you can write widgets/plugins/whatever in any language capable of opening and writing to a file. Even shell scripts.
>>
>>51577059
what do you mean?
https://github.com/chneukirchen/cwm
>>
>>51574186
dtwm
>>
>>51577023
>>>/pycon/
>>
>>51574186
Wayland
>>
>>51577140
>>51577059
one of the first desktops to get me into UNIX ricing was skinwalker's cwm desktop
>>
>>51577140
it's two versions behind, shame because the latest version does have neat improvements.
>>
X11 is a shit.
>>
>>51574727
Honestly I don't see the point of the middle man there when I would likely use lua for this sort of thing anyways. What reason do I have to not use the wm that is configured in the language I like?

Handing over a file descriptor and writing to that is clunky as hell. I would have to write my own shit to negotiate widget width and height every time I am asked to draw, then figure out how to get cairo or whatever to write a format wmii recognizes, then make sure this stays performant at 60 times a second.
>>
>>51577123
Woops this was directed at >>51577886
>>
>>51577168
The amazing thing is how easy it is to rice. Best WM ever.
>>
openbox for the best dockapp support.
>>
XFCE, Spectrwm
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.