[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't you backing up to tape?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: tapee.jpg (22KB, 620x399px) Image search: [Google]
tapee.jpg
22KB, 620x399px
Why aren't you backing up to tape?
>>
>>51516423
Because i'm not a faggot who hoards useless as shit old hardware.

I could keep shit on a pointless 80gb hard drive, or i could put it in a single folder of my 2tb.
And then in 5 years i'll just put the entire 2tb on my 8tb drive, and then in another 5 years
>>
Because tape drives are expensive as fuck and I want quick access to most of my stored data.
>>
>>51516423
I was at work until they sent my tape library to our dc in texas on the CIOs orders.

Now we have no tape backups.

Not my problem, when it blows up in their face, I'm on record as being against this.
>>
>>51516451
backup, not live storage... dipshit
>>
>>51516423
I don't have any tape, anything that can read/write to tape, nor anything that needs to be archived.
>>
>>51516423
Because "cost per TB" doesn't take into account the exorbitant cost of a tape writing setup, and all the incredibly minor advantages of using tape backups for personal use can be done much more cheaply with additions to more traditional backup systems
>>
>>51516423

Because this graph goes off of two years of data to describe a trend as linear when its probably more likely exponential
>>
Because the coat per TB of traditional HDD is much less expensive, you dipshit
>>
>>51516635
Look at the y axis. If anything, its logarithmic.
>>
>>51516423
I personally don't own anything that's important enough to invest in tape storage
>>
Don't have any data that I truly care about enough to do that

I have an external hdd to keep all my semi important shit. I'd use an SD card but many many devices dont have a port for one
>>
>>51516423
show me where you can get a tape drive that cheap, BS
>>
>>51516423
>Why aren't you backing up to tape?
Tapes might be cheap, but the drives are outrageously expensive.

Also, because most of the shit I actually care about is small (~12GB), I generally just backup to a couple of DVDs.
>>
>>51516423
I've been procrastinating on my new server. It's going to be a little mITX box with top loading LTO-4 tape drive and 4x4TB HDDs in RAID10
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.