[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hi /g/, I've been tasked at my job to find a replacement

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: the thing.jpg (93KB, 1240x823px) Image search: [Google]
the thing.jpg
93KB, 1240x823px
hi /g/,

I've been tasked at my job to find a replacement wireless router for use in our cafe. We've been using consumer grade routers with DD-WRT up until now, and I feel like they just aren't up to par with what we need. They seem to get overwhelmed by the sheer number of users attempting to log on and require constant reboots. Any tips on small-business class routers? The main issue is cost, we don't have a ton of money to throw at it.

pic unrelated, i don't want a spider.
>>
Actually that router would be pretty good. Thing about wifi is there is 2 bands, the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz. You're going to want multiple networks on both.the router pictured can do that and automatically assign users depending on load and device capability. Either that or buy a few different regular wifi routers and connect then all together from a main router and possibly a switch as well.
>>
>>51513741
Cisco or ubiquity.
>>
>>51514035
Used*
>>
SOHO routers are infamously known for vulnerabilities and even blatant backdoors. https://sohopelesslybroken.com/ DD-WRT isn't what it used to be anymore; it's only updated in beta versions. Consider OpenWrt as a replacement https://openwrt.org/
>>
or keep the DD-WRT router, disable it's AP and go with Unifi AP's
>>
>>51514035
I was looking into ubiquity, wondering if I should go with just an AP or an actual router. Also, are those APs powered by PoE only?

>>51514114
I don't really keep up with DD-WRT anymore, what'd they do to it?

>>51514140
Thought about doing this as well.
>>
>>51514156
>I don't really keep up with DD-WRT anymore, what'd they do to it?
Good question. I just saw DD-WRT stagnating over time and saw OpenWrt being more actively developed. It has a large repository and a very broad compatible hardware list. For me that was enough to switch.
>>
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=catalyst+3560+poe&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=lot+of+cisco+aironet&_sacat=0

You need a good, high-quality switch, with POE so it can power the APs
You need some APs

And you don't technically need a router, if you know how to manage route tables on each device, and make sure the modem-connected server is also connected to the switch, and kernel set to allow packet forwarding.

But if you want things to be simple, you'll need a router for routing and DHCP and all that.
>>
>>51513741
Get a PfSense Router and use multiple Ubiquiti or Cisco Access Points throughout the ceiling of the building. You may only need 1 or 2 if it's a small cafe.
>>
>>51515855
You don't need to pay the $500 price premium to have a PoE switch. You can buy simple PoE injectors, too, dude.
>>
>>51515890
you obviously didn't click the link

they aren't 500, they're averaging $70

And trust me, it's worth the $70
>>
File: temple of nod.jpg (3MB, 4127x2445px) Image search: [Google]
temple of nod.jpg
3MB, 4127x2445px
>>51513741
>the thing.jpg

More like Satan's Crown.

And I raise you with the Temple of Nod.
>>
>>51515945
>construction complete
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.