[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RUBY VS PYTHON

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5

File: ruby-vs-python.png (29KB, 660x228px) Image search: [Google]
ruby-vs-python.png
29KB, 660x228px
What is the better solution for sane and sustainable web development.

Also inb4 "muh PHP" retardation or "Node" meme.
>>
> Also inb4 "muh PHP"
There's literally nothing wrong with PHP, why does this meme continue on /g/?
>>
both is utter shit
>>
>>51488721
web? php you nigger.
else? python
>>
>>51488745
>There's literally nothing wrong with PHP, why does this meme continue on /g/?

>Crap OOP
>Crap deployment
>Crap maintenance
>Crap debugging
>Crap performance

>Nothing wrong
>>
>>51488767
>both is utter shit

What would you recommend then?
>>
people hate on ruby because of all the shitty developers and the terrible community. But the language? It isn't terrible. It's a cleaner perl.

What you're really looking for is a comparison in web frameworks. You're not going to write your own and the biggest differences between the languages comes down to these frameworks.
>>
>>51488827
>You're not going to write your own and the biggest differences between the languages comes down to these frameworks.

Yeah, right. So i guess:

DJANGO vs RAILS
>>
>>51488796
Name ONE programming language that doesn't have all of those issues.
>>
>>51488872
Java, C#
>>
>>51488872
Rust

:^)
>>
>>51488899
>2015
>Java
shiggy diggy

>2015
>C#
>le wangblows muh gruttest elly
>>
>>51488849
DJANGO vs RAILS vs PYRAMID vs FLASK
>>
I once attempted to learn ruby out of boredom and the syntax was bootiful. But it was so slow I switched to C instead
>>
>>51488931

Where are Sinatra and Bottle?
>>
>>51488949
sorry, I don't know much about ruby.

It really depends on which lanugage you are more comfortable with. I really wouldn't recommend picking up pyramid or django if you're really comfortable with ruby.
>>
>or "Node" meme
Why? Node is just fine if you use bluebird.
>>
>>51489004
>Why? Node is just fine if you use bluebird.

JS man.

The only thing that's worse than PHP.
>>
.net MVC or gtfo.
>>
>>51489029
but... it's javascript. personally, I would never use it unless I was forced to.
>>
>>51489029
"JS is bad" is another meme
how fucking bad a programmer do you need to be to struggle in any way with javascript?
i hate this fucking board sometimes, go back to talking about your iphones

you people literally dont know shit about anything and just regurgitate a series of ancient pieces of cultural shorthand to feel 'in'
>>
>>51489037
>.net MVC or gtfo.

muh $2000 per core web server license.
>>
>>51489029
>node
>The only thing that's worse than PHP

Put down that crack pipe, Tyrone.
>>
>>51489075
lol wut. What moron hosts their own site now a days? Just host that bitch on a license included cloud service.

>>51489069
No. YOU have no clue what you're talking about. Have you ever tried to manage an enterprise level system in JS? It's a fucking nightmare due to a lack of reliable IDEs that support JS.
>>
>>51489069
>how fucking bad a programmer do you need to be to struggle in any way with javascript?

how fucking bad a programmer do you need to be to struggle in any way with brainfuck?
>>
>>51489109
>Just host that bitch on a license included cloud service.

muh sensitive data of our customers and guberment requirements for local redundancy
>>
>>51489109
>what is sublime
>what is Netbeans IDE
>what is Visual studio
just shut up man, you're making yourself look stupid
>>
>>51489141
Have you not heard of amazon web services? They're secure af. If there's a breach, it's their fault not yours. Hell if you're that paranoid ask for a government account.

And backing up locally is simple. You can do it with a powershell script.
>>
File: ZenOfRuby.png (643KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
ZenOfRuby.png
643KB, 1000x500px
>>
>>51489109
>Just host that bitch on a license included cloud service
>Have you ever tried to manage an enterprise level system in JS

You obviously are just some uni level faggot that has no idea what they're talking about.
>>
>>51489143
>sublime
>IDE

Lol, no. You've just illustrated what's exactly wrong with JS.

Bunch of kids equipped with text editors pretending to be "Enterprise Engineers", because some dot.com schmucks are showering big pile cash into their "startup-entrepreneurhip" ego.
>>
>>51489239
ic what you did there
>>
>>51488962
>It really depends on which lanugage you are more comfortable with.

I know better Python. But want to create some sites painlessly and quickly and if that means to learn some Ruby I don't mind to do so.
>>
>>51489403
I don't think using Ruby will make it that much more effortless.
>>
>>51488920
Having a shit company behind it doesn't make the language bad. It's actually great
And none of your previous points apply, so..

Also, mono. Now what?
>>
>>51489403
> I want to make a website
> painlessly.

There is no such thing anon. Web development is hacky, convoluted, involves multiple paradigms and designs in serious projects and requires use of cancer like Javascript. Unless you're into that, in which case, eww.
>>
Ruby is decent. Not because it's particularly better than Python, but because it's 1. fun to use and 2. didn't kill itself with the entire 2.7/3 fiasco.
>>
>>51488913
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>51489453
>I don't think using Ruby will make it that much more effortless.

Yeah I guess that the learning curve will be bit steep, but I have to create some 10 different web services and I'm looking for the right tool for this, because I really hate web dev. And I just don't want to have my ass bleeding in a long term. That's all.
>>
>>51489175
>saying "af"
kill yourself
>>
>>51489175
>Have you not heard of amazon web services? They're secure af.

NSA pls.
>>
>>51489069
How bad of a programmer do YOU have to be to not realize the design faults in JavaScript and how ridiculous some of the shit there was implemented? The very existence of prototypes amuses me.

It's painful to read, painful to write, and it's VERY easy to write bad code with it. No wonder almost all of it's popular libraries do everything they can to abstract away as many JavaScript functions as they can so the developer is rarely required to actually write JavaScript. That's how fucking bad.

Ironically, PHP has alot of frameworks that do the same thing, and PHP is, unsurprisingly, also a shit language with alot of bad practices.
>>
>>51489657

This.

JS and PHP.

Literally HIV and Cancer together.
>>
File: rails.png (131KB, 500x647px) Image search: [Google]
rails.png
131KB, 500x647px
>>51488721

Ruby is objectively the best - use Rails because it's amazing

The reasons they are amazing are:

a) It is SO fucking easy to use. Literally a monkey could write Ruby code, but that's a good thing. It reduces the barrier of entry to doing very powerful and complex things. Why write a load of boilerplate and over-complication in something like PHP when you can write much less code and get something done in a much more logical way in Ruby?

b) Maturity. There are a ton of Ruby gems out there that will accomplish common tasks for you. Need to interact with a SOAP-based API? Download Savon. Need to parse XML? Use Nokogiri. Want to use SASS? Install it. Want to use Bootstrap, from the source SASS files so you can play with all the variables to your heart's content? Easy, just type
gem 'bootstrap-sass'
into your Gemfile (as long as you have already installed SASS with
gem 'sass-rails'
), run
bundle install
and that's it - no more setup required.
>>
People should not be allowed to comment on other lanugages (php, ruby, python, etc...) if they do not contribute to any C project.

Basically, any language is as good as the developer using it is, if you are a shit programmer then you'll find flaws in any language.
>>
>>51489069
>getting this butt-blasted on an IPFS github issue
>>
>>51488920
>2015
>not using Java

You might as well just kill yourself.
>>
>>51490007
>Java
>deprecated just days ago by the relevant parts of .NET going open-source
>>
>>51491916
>going open-source

Still does not mean going multi-platform.
>>
Wsgi ftw
>>
>>51492046
Even Powershell is being ported over with parts already available to compile on Linux. Java is dead son.
>>
Wait a second python can work with servers like php?Can it replace javascript?
Ruby's syntax is weird...
>>
Things I've heard about Ruby.

- Extensive Unit testing is very difficult for large projects, due to duck typing/typeless parameters.
- You probably need a docker or vagrant instance for every project, due to library dependence hell.
- There can only be one Application per project. For example, Elixir (Phoenix) apps can be divided into microservices easily in a single project.
- Memory usage and processor requirements are high, a problem shared by all dynamic languages. This only matters if you are working on a complex website.
>>
>>51492091
>Even Powershell is being ported over with parts already available to compile on Linux. Java is dead son.

Running EXE on Android. I don't think so lad. Not anytime soon.
>>
>>51489599
the autism is present with this one.
>>
>>51488721
>sane and sustainable web development

Java + Spring
>>
>>51493440
Kill yourself.
>>
>>51493618
Have fun with bugs, regressions and shit performance, senpai
>>
>>51489743
>Literally a monkey could write Ruby code, but that's a good thing.
Yes an you can be assured that they'll fuck up anything security critical because 'rails will handle it for me'
Yet python has the same advantage/problem

>b) Maturity.
pip install django-bootstrap-sass

>>51492142
These are all problems for both python and ruby, except 1) exsists slightly less on python (in my experience)
>>
>>51488827
This. Ruby is like a properly OOP'd Perl. But the community is fucking terrible.
>>
>>51493440
This tb᠎h fa᠎m
>>
>>51488849
Django simply because python over ruby.
>>
>>51489109
Webstorm by JetBrains is the solution for Js IDE. It can handle everything, from standard Web JS to Node to Phonegap and its subsets (Ionic etc, which implies Angular)
>>
>>51492135
Are you a time traveller from the past?
>>
File: cosbyguffaw.jpg (90KB, 240x256px) Image search: [Google]
cosbyguffaw.jpg
90KB, 240x256px
>>51488745
>literally nothing wrong with PHP
>>
File: 1447317787424.jpg (36KB, 511x509px) Image search: [Google]
1447317787424.jpg
36KB, 511x509px
>>51488792
>php
>>
Python. Ruby is trash.
>>
>>51488721
I prefer Ruby / Rails just because I like the syntax and the homogeneity of the api way more. The language and its best practices are way more attractive to me than python's. I hate looking at python. It's ugly.
>>
>>51493948

>Python
>ugly

Its literally pseudocode.
>>
from a niggest pt of view, I think python just because I have seen a lot of shit written with it from games,linux apps to websites and a bunch of other shit
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.