[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/ With black Friday coming up, I'm looking to upgrade

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: Intel-Core-CPU-Processor.jpg (158KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Intel-Core-CPU-Processor.jpg
158KB, 800x800px
Hey /g/
With black Friday coming up, I'm looking to upgrade my cpu. I currently have an AMD at 3.4 Ghz quad core, running with a 270x. I need a new mobo if it's not an FM2 socket. I also need a mATX motherboard, cuz I got a little case.

My question is, what's the next step? What can I get for best performance/price ratio?
I don't care about intel vs amd, I just want a better cpu, for mostly gaming.

CPU/upgrade general thread.
>>
>>51480140
4460/6500 if not overclocking, 4690k/6660k if overclocking, 4790k/6700k if you shit money or require more threads for video editing/whatever

anything else is a waste of money
>>
>>51480898
/thread
>>
I7-5820K
>>
>>51481273
>140watt tdp house fire

hes leaving house fire amd, why tell him to get house fire intel parts?

op, even intels haswell pentium would face rape your amd. any i5 since sandybridge will do.
>>
>>51480898
What's recommended for buying? Individual or bundle? Also, will I need an aftermarket heatsink? This is only my third "build"
>>
>>51481965
bundle? as in cpu+mobo in the same package? If so, I'm not sure, I've never heard of that before.

You need an aftermarket heatsink only if you have a processor that supports overclocking, one with a k after the name. For overclocking you'll also need a motherboard that supports it.
>>
>>51480140
I'm guessing you have the 760k/860k? I just did a new build with an i7 and the feeling is indescribable.
>>
Not OP but I've been upgrading my computer gradually. Now I have everything picked and installed but the CPU and new motherboard. Long story short, I haven't payed much attention to computers for the last four years or so.

I'm currently running a 290x with a Phenom II X4 965BE, which bottlenecks the 290x as you could imagine. Apparently AMD makes shit CPUs now? What happened? These CPUs with 8 cores at 5GHz sound insane, but it seems they're all traps of some kind. What should I upgrade to? Just looking to do gaming and some video editing, image not very heavy. Also why the fuck are Intel processors so pricey in comparison?
>>
>>51486376
>Also why the fuck are Intel processors so pricey in comparison
Because they aren't shit.
>>
>>51480140
With FX 8300 / 8350 you can play almost any game with no problems - it's not a real bottleneck. With AMD CPUs you usually get the better bang for the buck if you can sacrifice some PSU juice.

I say you should focus on upgrading GPU for better gaming performances and get an SSD (which will mostly just lower loading times when data from the disk is brought to memory). For GPU I had a pretty good offer on the 960 2GB and I noticed that Black Friday deals are synchronized internationally so it might be available to you too (I always compare with Amazon, BestBuy and whatever else google scraps for me).
>>
>>51486467
>With FX 8300 / 8350 you can play almost any game with no problems
Not really. It's not awful, but it does chug pretty heavily in modern games.
>>
>>51486491
I will come back to this thread to confirm if that happens or not after I get my new GPU.
Any hints on what CPU intensive games I could use to test ?
>>
h80i to cool off i5 6600k? good?
>>
>>51486547
Minecraft it is then.
>>
>>51486547
Beam.NG nigga. that shit's terrible.
>>
>>51480898
What do you say about my 4970 non-k model then? (Am using it for virtualisation)
>>
Quick question: is it worthwhile to upgrade a few parts at a time or just go for it and replace them all to avoid bottlenecks? Most parts in my computer are over 5 years old, and signs of age are starting to show.
>>
OP here,
>>51486547
Try Space Engineers. Pretty cpu intensive, just got a huge update and my cpu is bottlenecking it pretty hard. Similar fps across all graphics setting.
>>
>>51488112
depends entirely on the specs
post speccy
>>
>>51480140
the fx6300 is an excellent performance per dollar cpu. i have the 8350 which i have found works fantastic. running at stock speeds. have a radeon 390. playing gta5 @1080 with settings almost maxed. i turned down grass, reflections, and shadow quality down a notch from maxed. huge difference in how the game played, and it didnt look any worse. it was around 30fps 100%maxed with some dips. those few settings down its never dropped and touched 30fps.
>>51486461
i really am starting to believe the intel masterrace amd a shit is just a meme. my friend just switched to intel. dropped $1400+ on mobo, cpu, ram, case, and water cooler. he was completely underwhelmed by the slight performance increase he got over his old amd setup.
>>51486467
i agree with this nig. upgrade the gpu. keep an eye out for a 980. i saw on newegg sapphire and xfx dropped their price on the fury. $500. i think there is even a $30 rebate on xfx.
>>
Unless it's storage you're after, black Friday/cyber Monday is usually a let down for pc upgrades.

The best deals happen throughout the rest of the year. Especially during the warmer months.
>>
File: speccy.png (24KB, 550x408px) Image search: [Google]
speccy.png
24KB, 550x408px
>>51488574
Hope this will do
>>
>>51488726
UPGRADE EVERYTHING!!!
>>
>>51488754
Affirmative.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.