[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /g/, My laptop just broke down, so I'll be buying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: Windows.png (283KB, 1024x699px) Image search: [Google]
Windows.png
283KB, 1024x699px
Hello /g/,

My laptop just broke down, so I'll be buying a new one this afternoon; it is possible to uninstall the new, default windows 10 and put 8.1 instead?

Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question, but I know it was an ordeal to put XP instead of 8.1, so I hope it's not the same.
>>
It's never a good idea to use outdated software.
>>
>>51450103
Do you have a licensed copy of Windows 8.1?
>>
>>51450114
Basically this. Windows 10 fixed the flaws of 7 and 8.1 as M$ learned their lesson due to their failure.

Windows 10 is future proof due to DirectX 12 and a has that familiar Aero glass look and start menu.

If you still want 8.1, go right ahead. Unlike OSX, Windows has backwards compatibility and will run all your software no matter which version you install.
>>
>>51450117

I guess I still have my old dvd with the key.

>>51450114

Sorry man, I can customize 8.1 to feel like XP, which is all I need.
>>
>>51450137
>Windows 10 ... has that familiar start menu.

uh no

windows 10 start menu is shit, you can't even pin programs to it
>>
File: 1446235379941.jpg (63KB, 796x722px) Image search: [Google]
1446235379941.jpg
63KB, 796x722px
>>51450103
sure but you're gonna need to buy it since there is no free downgrade option and expect a lot of grief finding only incompatible drivers.
>>
>>51450137

I really don't care about the future, to be honest.

I use a laptop for:

1) surfing the world wide web
2) typing my Ph.D
3) playing old video games with emulators
>>
>>51450145
Get a 8gb USB drive, format it to NTFS file system through Windows.

Insert DVD, select all files and copy them directly to your 8gb NTFS usb drive. Then reboot your computer and go into boot menu at startup. Boot from your USB drive and it will begin the installation setup.

After that its downhill till you reach desktop and activate your Windows.
>>
>>51450176
Forgot to mention, delete all partitions and format your entire drive one time to clear everything. Remember to backup your data as it will erase everything.

This is to help with fragmentation that occurs over time when you move files around. I always format once before a fresh install to realign the HDD sectors properly.
>>
>>51450176

Thanks man, I know how to do it but I just wanted to know if it was technically possible, since quite a few things changed in the last few years. Sorry I'm a complete fool by /g/ standards, but I remember something about the OEM bullshit...
>>
>>51450210
You can install any OS provided you have the retail version. OEM is what your manufacturer installed on your PC with a license key sticker pasted at the bottom of your laptop.

I hate OEM because they butcher the original version of Windows and install unnecessary malware and software that you don't need.

Always use retail version to reinstall.
>>
Also, are the laptop HDD still using that tiny connector? I need to salvage data so I hope it won't be a hassle...

>>51450243

Will do, along with partition deletion to have a clean install.
>>
>select all files and copy them directly to your 8gb NTFS usb drive
lol. is he in for a surprise.
>>
>>51450274
Why? I have done it many times.
>>
>>51450114
>appeal to novelty fallacy
>>
>>51450289
>>51450274

Bump, I'm curious.
>>
if you want to do this get a business class laptop they will have driver support for old oses even a brand new laptop.
>>
File: 02-GWX-icon.jpg (34KB, 616x444px) Image search: [Google]
02-GWX-icon.jpg
34KB, 616x444px
So I see Microsoft is giving trying to get everybody to use Windows 10. They're even giving it out free to people with using windows 7 and 8/8.1 what's they're plan with windows 10? Nothing's really free, they obviously are trying to get something out of us, what do they want, Is big brother coming to get us all? I'm really scared.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/windows-10-upgrade
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.