[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Firefox to remove tab groups

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 4

File: FFiskill.png (32KB, 620x414px) Image search: [Google]
FFiskill.png
32KB, 620x414px
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1222550

Despite all the SJW and the performance gap against chrome, tab groups was the only reason I sticked with Firefox for so long.

>twf firefox devs remove a "niche feature" on their now niche browser.

I hate the UI of chrome/chromium, so I guess I'm gonna start using Opera.
>>
Holy shit I bailed out of that sinking ship just in time. Palemoon for fucking life. Been using it for like 2 months now, never going back to Firefox, especially with this latest news. Next they'll be removing Live Bookmarks because it's too niche. What fucking cocksuckers.
>>
>>51443406

I havent updated it since V28, goddamn I'm moving to Seamonkey, I'll fucking do it this time.
>>
Just stop letting it update. What's the worst that could happen?
>>
>>51443461
I actually hesitate between a meme browser and a old one that have always been there but never popular.
> palemoon vs. opera

>>51443481
>>51443491
>not updating your browser
I dunno, I'm not it feels like a security problem when real bugs will be fixed.
>>
>>51443461
You do realize pale meme is maintained by a furfag swedekek neckbeard and he actually is not a developer, he never added anything new to his Firefox fork. Guess what will happen to it when Mozilla goes bankrupt. Yepp, pale meme won't be updated either because of no devs. When Firefox is kill, so will pale meme.
>>
>>51443491
Besides the shitload of security risks? Like that PDF thing a couple months ago?
>>
>>51443406
so instead of just having some balls and coming out and saying they are removing features they are trying to cover their shit and say everything they don't like is a "bug" that they are "fixing"

give me a fucking brake
>>
>>51443539
I gave 0 fucks who maintains it as long as it does what I need it to do. It's basically an old version of Firefox with security fixes added. Good enough for me. uBlock Origin works on it, and it has a fork of HTTPS-Everywhere. Fucking good enough for me. Good riddance Firefox.
>>
>>51443529

I dont dont allow java or flash in my browser, never really have been compromised at all desu senpai.
>>
>>51443562
99% of those bugs would never escape Sandboxie.

You'd only have an issue if you pissed a government off.
Have you pissed the gubmint off, Timmy?
>>
>>51443563
okay buddy here's your fucking brake
>>
>>51443406
>so I guess I'm gonna start using Opera.
lol, your in for a nice surprise
>>
>>51443563
They are pretty much removing features because they add code complexity.

That being said, I think Tab Groups should be turned into an addon if you ask me.

Firefox should be an extremely modular bare bones browser IMO. Originally Firefox was really simple, specially compared to Mozilla Suite. IMO Mozilla needs to remove the other features like Pocket and other such things. Turn all of that into an addon.
>>
>>51443587
Nothing to fear nothing hide I'm I right?
>>
>>51443461
What the hell is Live Bookmarks?
>>
>>51443461
>falling for the pale meme
>>
>>51443690
RSS goddamn retard shit.
>>
>>51443779
Oh, so that anon is just autistic for liking it? Alright.
>>
>>51443625
This, having officially maintained addons is better than cramming MOAR FEATURES into a program making it bloated and hard to maintain. I wouldn't give a shit about pocket if they didn't force it upon me.
>>
>>51443938
Someone should start pestering Firefox devs with this. I wouldn't even care if the browser button had all the addons in by default if you could turn them off.
>>
Vivaldi 1.0 can't come soon enough
>>
>>51443938
>>51443625
Good thing they're completely neutering their add-on support to make it more like Chrome.
>>
>>51443539
>he never added anything new to his Firefox fork.
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon/commits/master
>>
They are making it an addon so who cares you babies. I didn't even use that shit so I'm glad, can't wait for more useless features to get deleted like the fucking panel next to the urlbar.

Delete every feature make it an addon.
>>
>>51443406
I literally only use the tab grouping page to count the number of tabs I have open because I realized that if I grouped my tabs I would just forget I had grouped them and end up opening duplicate tabs.
>>
>>51443406
>firefox's adblockplus manages to block ads on youtube
>only reason I keep using firefox over blue moon
>firefox has begun to freeze every time comments load, the video changes or I click a link on youtube
How do I get an ad free jewtube on pale moon? Because I'll switch over in an instant
>>
>>51444420
...By using Adblock? ABP doesn't work because ABP don't want it to work, but you can either use uBlock Origin or their ABP fork: https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/privacy-and-security/adblock-latitude/
>>
>>51443625
>Originally Firefox was really simple, specially compared to Mozilla Suite.
And yet the Suite was faster and didn't suffer memory leaks.
>>
>>51444355
>panel next to the urlbar
What panel?
>>
>>51444524
The Suite didn't support extensions like Firefox did.
>>
>>51444420

idk about palememe, but uBlock origin handles youtube ads just fine
>>
How do web browsers get their money from?
>>
>>51444747
Selling usage data.
>>
>>51444747
By selling your personal data.
>>
>>51444431
Awesome it actually worked, but now I need a fork for 4chan that will work
>>
>>51444747
see that search engines?
>>
>>51444747
By forwarding your non-critical and anonymous personal data to third parties for safe keeping where it will never be used for nefarious purposes.
>>
>First they say they'll remove support for good addons
>Then they'll remove tab groups
Huh.
How long until a fork with those features appears? A week?
I only hope I don't have to stick to the same version for too long.
>>
>>51443406
>I hate the UI of chrome/chromium
But you're using firefox...
>>
And another reason to use Otter-Browser! Will have a similar feature set like Firefox old, has the Chromium engine in the future, and thanks to QT maintaining Blink fork QTWebengine there is no Google Botnet inside!

Bye Bye Googlezilla Chromefox!
>>
what the flying fuck are tab groups? i have been using firefox for like a fucking decade but i have never used much less heard of fucking tab groups
>>
>>51443406
Palemoon
noomelaP
>>
>>51445300
Before i would use Pale Moon i rather would use Vivaldi! Because this browser has at least a future, Pale Moon has not!
>>
>>51445300
Where are the 4chan forks?
>>
>>51445300
How many bleeding edge Firefox HTML5/CSS3/ES6/ES7 features have been already ported over to Pale Moon?

That's right, not much, because it is impossible to port over newest stuff into old V24 engine!
>>
>>51445286
A feature that lets you create what are essentially virtual browser windows within the same window, sharing the same pinned tabs with each.

Also incredibly useful for power users with lots of open tabs to sort through.

In more recent versions Mozilla has hidden the button to activate the feature in the unused buttons area in customize.
>>
>>51445432
And this is the problem, Mozilla does no longer support the power users. They are supporting plain Joe's and Jane's from Google Chrome!
>>
>>51443406
>the performance gap against chrome
Firefox actually outperforms chromium on GNU/Linux.
>>
>>51445432
how is this better than just opening another window and grouping my tabs that way? can you utilize multiple displays with groups?
>>
Complain here faggots
https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/feedback/
>>
>>51445566
Haha... you really believe Mozilla listens? They only listen to what Google says! Google says minimalism and less features is the way, Mozilla says yes! Google says FTP is bad, Mozilla says yes! Google says cheap themes and cheap add-ons are enough for the user and choice is bad, Mozilla says yes!
>>
>tab groups
So you're so disorganized and stupid that you need a billion tabs open at once and a way to organize that clusterfuck?

Jesus shit. Just download SeaMonkey, stop opening a million goddamn tabs at once like an intelligent person, and get on with your pathetic life.
>>
>>51443406
>add a feature in firefox 4
>remove it 3 years later
WHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYY
>>
>>51445615
Seamonkey will be killed once XUL is gone
>>
>>51445615
Mozilla developer spotted. Who sent them the link to this website?
>>
>>51445627
Because Mozilla supports only simple users like Chrome does today?
>>
Tab Groups/Panorama ends up being just an overly flashy organizational system. The whole thumbnailing turns garbage with a large number of tabs (hundreds), and I'd much rather have a list of titles w/ Tab Scope.

Tree Style Tabs, Tab Tree, Tab Groups Helper, and other tab tilers are much better for similar levels of organization. They also usually have non-pathetic UI you can hack at, and they're optional addons rather than being shoved down your throat.

I've been waiting for Panorama to go away for a long time now.
>>
>>51445530
Pinned tabs don't carry over though different windows. Its not useful to take the place of multiple windows, but to supplement it.

For example, one use case would be separating tabs for researching a paper from your open 4chan threads, or another section for fun time and another for fap time.
>>
File: firefix.png (15KB, 465x285px) Image search: [Google]
firefix.png
15KB, 465x285px
>>51443406
Fixed.

If it prompts for an update, I'll check the changelog and if it takes away tab groups, nix it.
>>
>>51445647
>I've been waiting for Panorama to go away for a long time now.
Why does it affect you? Don't like it? Don't use it. Go into customize and drag the button out. Then you don't have to see it while the rest of us can use it.
>>
>>51445838
I wouldn't be surprised if its very existence helps slow Firefox down.
>>
>>51445566
We should complain on their reddit, it seems that the devs actually read that shit.
>>
>>51443461

I only use Firefox anymore because of Rikaisama.
>>
>>51445878
I tried complaining yesterday about something else but apparently I got shadowbanned.
>>
>>51445870
Why would it? I can see it would slow things down if I opened a fuckton of them. But when you're not using it, I can't see it being much more than an extra level of object to traverse down to the tab you're in.

window->browser->tabs[0]
vs.
window->browser->tabgroup[0]->tabs[0]

This would add very little
>>
>>51445964
If it's really simple just make an extension.
And make it import peoples tab groups now so they don't lose them.
>>
>>51445516
>Firefox actually outperforms chromium on GNU/Linux.
I take that back, this was the case 1 year ago, it no longer is.

Chromium 46
__jetstream: 202
__octane:33000+

Firefox 42
__jetstream: 193
__octane: 31000+

The difference is minimal. Firefox is the better browser still due to its addon API.
>>
>>51445935
What did you write?
>>
>>51446329
I told one of the mozilla devs to tell his coworkers to stop abusing the heartbeat system to promote shit like firefox for iOS and android. I don't know if that is what caused it though because I have posted criticisms to that place under a different account in the past.
>>
>>51443406
>I'm gonna start using Opera.
Modern Opera is literally based on Chromium (the same code base used by Chrome)
>>
>>51446442
based != same
>>
>>51446424
Yeah I told them to put the ad inside the startpage or something like that instead, and how it doesn't help with the memory usage and how you should focus on trying to fix the leakage usage and the poor way firefox acts on sites like twitch.tv instead of adding more useless features that only bloat and make it harder for this issue to fix.

And of course I got -27 votes and got banned for a week.

Fucking whiteknight fedora wearing virgins in reddit, I swear.
I didn't even swear or anything.
>>
>>51446447
Have you used it? They are extremely similar.
>>
tree style tabs is better anyway.
>>
Aren't there several add-ons that do this better than the default option?
>>
>>51445647
>Tree Style Tabs, Tab Tree, Tab Groups Helper, and other tab tilers are much better for similar levels of organization. They also usually have non-pathetic UI you can hack at, and they're optional addons rather than being shoved down your throat.
They're getting axxed too with the API changes
Tree Style Tabs hasn't worked since 41
>>
>>51446447
Pretty much anything based on Chromium it's limited to Chromium stuff, sometimes it doesn't even have half of the Chromium stuff
Remember the first versions of Opera that didn't even had bookmarks?
>>
>>51447197
Yeah. I had to switch over to Tab Tree cause of that, but it ain't the same bread. No collapsing trees.

The other extensions by the author (Multiple Tab Handler, Informational Tab) seem to have been shunned by the API changes too.
>>
>>51443461
>Holy shit I bailed out of that sinking ship just in time. Palemoon for fucking life.

You make no sense. Pale Moon removed tab groups years ago for pretty much the same reasons that Firefox is removing it now...

As nifty as they are (I use them regularly), it was always a sort of "prototype" feature, and should have stayed as an add-on rather than being added to the core.
>>
we need a new free as in freedom botnet-free sjw-free browser

/g/ browser when
>>
File: captainsweden_ep1.png (173KB, 1997x836px) Image search: [Google]
captainsweden_ep1.png
173KB, 1997x836px
>>51443539
>swedekek

This seals the deal, avoid palememe at all costs.
>>
>hide feature from users except those specifically looking for it using a keybind or adding a button to their toolbar
>be surprised when people don't use it
It fucking sucks because I use it all the time. Sometimes I open a bunch of tabs researching something, and rather than bookmarking everything and closing them or having 300 tabs open in a row, I can just hide them in a separate group for later. If they don't think that's a worthy feature they can go fuck themselves.
>>
>>51449963
I do the same except don't put them in another group, that's why I've got at least 166 tabs open in this window right now.
>>
>>51443625
>turn tabgroups into an addon
>force-feed users privacy-violating and third-party proprietary Hello and Pocket
thanks, mozcorp
>>
>>51445615
It's just like virtual desktops for an OS, you know, a feature useful/popular enough that added it to Windows 10.
>>
>>51445627
>add feature in 4
>remove icon from default icon-set in 7
toppest of keks

I really don't want to know how many manyears mozilla has wasted on new features just to bin them soon after.

oh yeah, remember the Metro-version of firefox?

>dozen of people work on in for three years
>bin it literally days before release
xd
>>
>>51446029
>Firefox is the better browser still due to its addon API.
Which will be removed in 2016.
>>
why do they remove simple usage facilitating features and add shit like hello and pocket who nobody in their right mind uses anyway? Something's going really wrong at mozilla.
>>
>>51447197
TST 0.16.2015111001 works perfectly fine in 42, what are you on about?
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.