[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If the newest and greatest technology is so important why does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 6

File: citro_25C3_25ABn-c1-13[1].jpg (17KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
citro_25C3_25ABn-c1-13[1].jpg
17KB, 450x300px
If the newest and greatest technology is so important why does everybody in Paris drive manual, even in the city?
>>
>>51435165
everyone in paris died, that's proof that manual driving is dangerous

manually driving attracts sandniggers is a known fact friend
>>
>>51435165
Italian here, cause it's cheaper, more efficient and faster, also my mom can do that so why not
>>
You dont drive stick you are an honorary faggot. Manuals are just better for non amerifats
>>
>>51435165
Because it's not.
>>
Because they need validation that they are somehow not faggots. No, it doesn't matter if they are getting raped my immigrants, it doesn't matter if Germany has absolute control over them, it doesn't matter if they are defenseless against muh tolerance bullshit. As long as they are fondling a stick with their hands while they're driving they will feel manly.

Case in point
>>51435197
>>51435276
>>
It is cheaper.
>>
>>51435165
Cheaper retail and cheaper repairs.
>>
Because it simply feels better
>>
>>51435304
Watch out guys, a citizen from the state which is still crying for >muh 9/11 (fuck, it's 11/9) is saying we have problems.
Pray American, pray for the UE to remain an economic union, the day we will become a serious nation there will be nothing left for you or other superpowers
>>
Driving is boring enough even with manual shifting
It keeps you busy
>>
this >>51435404
french new driver here (34yo, yeah I know, but I didn't needed a car in urban areas)
when I told people I would enjoy an automatic car, everybody answers "and where is the fun, that might be boring"
My mother in law drives an automatic (because handicaped foot) and even her says it's not a pleasure
bad for those who spend tons of money in developing self driving cars
>>
>>51435394
So now it's not even just seeking validation from driving a stick, now it's delusions of grandeur and baseless assumptions too.
How the mighty have fallen.
>>
>>51435451
No, driving is just boring. Stick shifting makes it a little less mind numbing.
>>
>>51435451
Enjoy your apogee while it lasts. Keep in mind that if an empire spent 500 years in rising it will spend many hundreds years falling, your empire started in the last 70 years and it's already cracking. It will be fast
>>
Because in europe we know how to drive.
We are not American fucktards driving in automode
>>
>>51435471
Yeah I agree, manual is more interesting.
You need to pay more attention to what you're doing in a manual.
After thinking about it, it probably helps against bad habits like texting and driving. A google search brings up this, for what it's worth:
http://www.businessinsider.com/stop-texting-and-driving-2012-1?IR=T
I believe this is true. It doesn't stop people completely from it though, my brother for example will still do it.

The only downside is that it takes a while to master. Especially in the beginning you will stall a lot. When I was learning how to drive, my car stalled a few times in traffic when the light turned green, so I was blocking everyone behind me and they started honking, pretty traumatic tbqh femme.
>>
>>51435569
>manual helps against bad habits
If you've driven long enough, you'll find you can eat chinese takeout with chopsticks and properly finish with reading your fortune and still have enough in you to keep the car moving smoothly through the entire meal.
>>
>>51435165
Because automatic is for disabled people.
>>
I'm learning to drive in Europe and I have to learn with an automatic. It's terrible. Every fucking hour I drive, I'm thinking "Why do we drive with that shit if automatic exists?"
>>
Meh I'm from the Netherlands and learned to drive with stick but my parents got themselves an automatic and it's quite good.
>>
>>51435569
>You need to pay more attention to what you're doing in a manual.
And that's why you shouldn't be able to get an "automatic only" license except if you're handicapped.
>>
>>51435642
Maybe in 'murrica, where driving is basically waiting in a big ass line of SUVs.
>>
>>51435737
I meant manual. With that dick stick. Gay cars.
>>
The automatic car spends 30% more fuel than the manual one.
>>
>>51435165
Because autoo is far less effective if you know how to drive
>>
>>51435777
If you drive in 5th gear all the time. Then you have to downgrade all the time because there's a stop. A manual car is the equivalent of Gentoo. Retarded.
>>
>>51435777
Who cares? Oil is cheap, anyways.
You shouldn't be able to be an american citizen if you drive manual desu senpai
>>
>>51435816
>oil
>cheap
No.
>>
>>51435806
>A manual car is the equivalent of Gentoo.
Even retarded people can learn manual. What does that make the people who drive automatic? Americans?
>>
>>51435832
yes it is. unless you're making lower than minimum wage somehow.
>>
>>51435806
>A manual car is the equivalent of Gentoo. Retarded.
There are successful businesses relying on Gentoo GNU+Linux.
>>
>>51435833
Well only Americans drive automatics. Never saw one here.
>>51435835
It's not. €1.30 for a litre of shit isn't cheap.
>>
>>51435854
>€
there's your problem, faggot
>>
>>51435861
Keep your freedom dineros.
>>
>>51435737
>>51435772
How uncoordinated do you have to be that you're unable to drive a manual? You shouldn't even be on the road.
>>
I drive stick because it's fun, otherwise the car might as well drive itself.

Automatic that doesn't drive itself is a waste of time.
>>
>>51435893
>learning
>>
>>51435854
>€1.30 for a litre
what is that in english?
>>
>>51435927
I don't know m8.
>>
>>51435927
$5.50 a gallon
>yurop
>>
>>51435806
>If you drive in 5th gear all the time.

I drive manual. The missus drives automatic.

When we're driving at speed (50Mph+) I shift at 2500-3000 revs, and can short-shift if required. Her car shifts up at 5000. For a small econo-box (1.4l 4 cylinder engines), the difference between a 3000 & 5000 rev is significant.

Her automatic basically causes her to rant the engine every time she drives anywhere, and her fuel efficiency is noticeably worse than mine, despite her car being newer than mine.

Automatics only make sense in high performance cars where you can have a double-clutch transmission with <0.5s shifts and flappy-paddle gearboxes, or large vehicles where the clutch would be the size of a bin-lid and require a 300lb man to depress the pedal. In all other situations it's wasteful and unnecessary.
>>
>>51435868
>lives in the eurozone
of course you're poor.

>>51435899
automatic is only acceptable when there is no need for a transmission. like electric cars.

>>51435927
1.30 yurobucks
>>
>>51435961
>high performance
>automatic
Like anyone would drive that. Made me kek.
But paddles with double-clutch is a thing. Still not automatic though.
>>
>>51435962
It is not really an automatic if it has no transmission
>>
>>51435927
Well near where i live, its about £1.05 per litre, if that helps.
>>
>>51435165
22yo guy here. I earned for my 1st car which is bmw 318ti from 1998 (highly recommend that car) and manual transmision is all the joy of driving. I just love shuffling the gears, pushing gas and feeling power. Automatic tramsmision makes driving boring.
>>
>>51435989
Most flappy-paddles have a full automatic mode; mostly because using flappy-paddle when you're city driving is a ballache.
>>
Is there any actual evidence in favor of either technology?
>>
File: mfw.jpg (64KB, 587x446px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
64KB, 587x446px
>>51435394
>EU a super power
What is Kosovo and Bosnia? EU sure handled that well.
>>
>>51435165
>this triggers the american
>>
>>51437458
>>
>>51435165
Manual gives you more control, it's more fuel efficient and it harder to break.
Also the car is cheaper.
I literally can't find a reason not to use manual.
>>
>>51437392
>kosovo and bosnia are in the EU
Africa is a good country.
>>
>>51435893
This.
Even my 80yo gramp can drive manual. While drunk.
Are americans really less coordinated than a drunk 80yo european?
>>
>>51437339
by what i've been told, if you know how to drive a manual uses less fuel and is slightly more economic

if the entire country is manual, it adds up fast
>>
I don't drive a car for fucking fun

I use it to get from point a to b while possibly carrying goods I can't carry by hand

If I had a choice I would just walk

Who cares whether the car is auto or manual? Is this some meme that was beaten into your head by your dad when you a child and now you believe it as law?
>>
>>51437521

So, why does that happen? Because you can control which gear you want to use for force transmission, it leads to fuel savings? So it depends on the driver properly choosing which gear is appropriate foe which occasion.
Is that what "know how to drive manual" actually means?
>>
Amerifat 6spd here

These days automatics can be faster and better on gas that's not really an argument anymore. Maybe manuals are just cheaper to manufacture and repair still. I don't really have a reason for owning a manual car other than it is fun to drive.

It was fucking $1300 for a clutch replacement on my car though and I would imagine an automatic transmission would be about 2-3k to replace maybe. I guess it would depend how many clutches you burn through to determine if it is cheaper to repair, mine was toast at about 105k miles.
>>
If toilers are the latest and greatest, why does everyone in India shit on designated shitting streets?
>>
>>51437517
they are less coordinated than a drunk 8yo mexican
>>
>>51437807
The thing is, if you aren't a shitty driver, you might never have to replace any major stuff in the transmission.
>>
>>51437924
im talking about manual, of course
>>
>Grow up with manual
>Car school with manual
>First cat automatic

And I don't miss a day where I had to sift gears. Then again I have a car not a roller on top a car body like most Europeans drive these days.
>>
>>51435165
Here in Brazil while most people prefer autos most usually buy manuals i think (Not so much nowdays but oh well) because it's like 2K USD cheaper or more
>>
>>51438045
Also auto school exams gotta be made on manual cars afaik
>>
>>51437964
>fug all them env-uh-ro-mentalists driving wagons that dont even chug nuff oil
>>
>>51438053
Of course. Otherwise you would end up with american-tier drivers, who think putting your car in neutral is the same as a handbrake.
>>
>>51437935
>>51437924
I bought the car with high mileage so not sure how the previous owner drove it. This could apply to automatics as well, largely depends on the design/manufacturer and how you drive them. I've seen plenty of automatics go over 200-300k miles, mostly nip cars with granny drivers.
>>
>>51435309
>>51435197
Its cheaper plain and simple.

Not more efficient or safer. The cost of acquiring an automatic transmission licensing deal puts people off.
>>
>>51438094
>I've seen plenty of automatics go over 200-300k miles, mostly nip cars with granny drivers.
Newer cars might hold the ground better, but a 5-10 year old automatic just destroys the transmission. Not to mention that you always feel when a gear changes, while in manual you can smooth the transition perfectly.
>>
>>51437964
>First cat automatic
I'm imagink a kind of robotic cat and it's making me smile.
Thank you for your typo.
>>
>>51435777
Not true, look up CVT.
>>
File: 1447564844748.png (4MB, 2177x1633px) Image search: [Google]
1447564844748.png
4MB, 2177x1633px
People drive manuals so they can rev as much as they want. U can drive eco or u can drive like a mad dog. At least u have the freedom to choose.

Tl;Dr apples are automatics, windows/Android is manual

Plus its a skill that carries on to heavy vehicles, racing and driving bikes why not drive stick?
>>
>>51438149
These were all 90s nip cars, the golden age for reliable Japanese cars imo. Smooth automatics haven't been a problem for decades and now there's cvt as well. The manual trans in my lexus is garbage and not easy to shift smoothly. Still prefer a manual though.
>>
>>51438255
>Plus its a skill that carries on to heavy vehicles, racing and driving bikes why not drive stick?
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried

>heavy vehicles
truck's transmissions are nothing like car's, most people who drive sticks couldn't drive a truck

>racing
again, a whole different story, just because you can drive a manual that doesn't mean you can race

>bikes
ok, I guess I'll give you that one
>>
>>51438324
Nah man sorry I meant light diesel trucks and utes with 6-speeds. Also it's kinda inevitable to pick up a few techniques while driving manual man its heaps fun.
>>
File: b5b7c7362fcd7cb6[1].webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
b5b7c7362fcd7cb6[1].webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>this is the average american driver
>>
>>51439116
it's just the women who are shit
men aren't nearly as glued to the radioactive jew
>>
>>51439116
I don't understand.
Is this a study?
Why would anyone put a camera in their car that shows how irresponsible they are?
Are they that stupid?
>>
I'd drive manual if I could pick up a decent $3000 manual that hasn't been trashed to shit with a completely worn out flywheel.
The worst thing is how every single one of these manuals has their "kinks" that you need to learn.

At that price range, doing your own repairs pretty much becomes mandatory and I'm simply not equipped to replace shit like flywheels.
>>
Auto users are /o/'s applefags. Manual is Linux, auto is fucking iOS. Sure it's "easier" to use, but if you actually know what you're doing with a car it's restricting how you can use it.
>>
>>51438111
I don't know what are you talking about, here you have to pass the exam with a manual car. The only difference is made on motorbikes exam, you can sustain it on a scooter or a real motorbike with manual change but with the first you'll only be allowed to drive scooters. I have to admit that usually bikes are more difficult to drive than cars, different weight, different clutch, a scooter is the easiest thing to drive
>>
>>51439964
here in the US, you pass the class C test once and you're allowed to drive anything up to 4.5 tons
>>
>>51440046
I wouldn't trust a guy who passed a test on an automatic Toyota and now's driving a Ducati.
>>
>>51440079
I forgot.
Motorcycles have 2 separate classes.
M1 for motorcycles of any class, M2 for motorized bicycles and scooters.
>>
>>51435777
Actually a few new models get the same if not better milage for the auto. But id still rather have a manual; push starting, less maintenance, better mpg for older cars which are all i can afford at the moment.
>>
>>51440453
Most manufacturers don't even offer manual as an option anymore, and if they do, it's usually the cheapest and shittiest trim option.
>>
>>51435569
Are Americans really this unskilled and lacking of motor coordination? I'm 20 years old and I never stalled a car outside my first driving lessons, and even then it only happened two or three times. My car is manual and I prefer manual. I've driven automatic (Honda Civic and Audi Q7) and it's a lot less fun.
>>
Because Paris isn't in 'Murica.
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.