[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

getting near Christmas so what better than to discuss audio?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

File: 1hometheater.jpg (192KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1hometheater.jpg
192KB, 1024x768px
getting near Christmas so what better than to discuss audio?

let's talk about every audio, including
>recent additions
>what you're planning on getting
>advice on equipment
and everything in between

these threads either make it to a few hundred posts or die, please let it be the former
>>
I have a few amps and sets of speakers, but aside from the pair I'm using, all of my equipment just sits in my room not being used

anyone have any suggestions on cool things to do with my spare stuff?

I put some cheap speakers on my parents' patio so they can play music rather than using a cheap radio/those expensive wireless speakers.

I also got my brother a decent sound system with leftover equipment, set up a mix and match 5.1 in my basement, but I still have speakers left over

so, ideas?
>>
>>45608950
Sell your shit and buy expensive high-end 2-ways.
>>
>>45609575
I have two PSB speakers that I really like

most of my speakers and amps are decent quality but not really enough to get more than $200 a pair, so I think it'd be hard to flip them

I have 3 weeks off for christmas break so maybe I'll give it a go
>>
would adding spikes or rubber feet to floor standing speakers reduce the sound transferred to the floor below ?
>>
>>45609661
yes, the real question is whether it's worth it though, which in most cases it's not

then again, spikes/feet are pretty cheap so why not buy a pack off Amazon/eBay and judge for yourself?
>>
File: IMG_20141214_005941.jpg (925KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141214_005941.jpg
925KB, 2048x1536px
>recent additions
I got a Sony SEQ-D705 at a thrift shop for €12. Breddy gud
>What you're planning on getting
I'm going to get a shitload of Sommer 2025 MKII and rewire my whole setup. Right now I'm using shitty cables I've collected over the years.
My setup is pic + a pair of Technics SB-Cs7 speakers. R8 pls
>>
>>45608744
Those speakers are ugly a hell, Op.
>>
I wish I didn't have a conscience or just more money, I'd absolutely love to get some floorstanding monitor audio speakers because I fucking love my silver rx1's but I'd spend like everything I have on them.
>>
File: IMG_0699.jpg (2MB, 2736x3648px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0699.jpg
2MB, 2736x3648px
I picked up this neat stand for my headphones.
>>
>>45608744
Those are some sexy Paradigms
>>
>>45609730
definitely a bit overstated

I appreciate simpler designs, but I figured it was a good enough picture for a thread image

>>45609716
I haven't used an equalizer ever but I've been considering it

>rewiring
sounds like a lot of work, but also soothing and rewarding once you hear the results

>>45609768
I hear ya, all of my stuff barring speakers I use while at university I bought second hand, I can't wait until I'm making a solid amount of money so I can buy new

I'd love to get some Paradigm reference series

>>45609796
I personally don't like the glossy finish, a matte or wood finish would make them look better in my opinion, also those speakers are probably worth the same as the person who owns them's yearly mortgage, judging by the size of the room
>>
>>45608744
That pic makes me really sad and its the reason why everybody makes fun of "audiophiles".

Audio is a physical phenomena that's highly dependent of the acoustics of the room. You can't just buy 10k worth of gear , put in your basement, and expect it to sound good.

As a general rule, if you're spending less than $5k but more than $500, you should spend half your budget in room conditioning.

It makes a huge difference.
>>
trying to convince my sister to get a better IEM, like the Yamaha EPH-m200, SE215, RE400. I even told her that I'll pay half of it and still not very convince...
>>
>>45609877
If you have any good ones to show her you can probably convince her
I'd recommend the SE215's to anyone, they're comfortable, have great isolation, and for a hundred dollar IEM sound great
>>
>>45609841
You can't buy the sub from the manufacturer anymore. The towers and center channel are $4,500 each.

http://www.paradigm.com/products-current/collection=signature
>>
>>45609868
this isn't just an audiophile thing, though

it's akin to someone putting a huge engine into a car but not adjusting the suspension or tires, all that power is wasted because the other components aren't at the same quality

happens with every hobby

>>45609931
yeah I'm aware, expensive as fuck

I've always wanted a pair of Paradigms (lel) because my friend had a pair of 9SEs and those are what made me want to get into hifi
>>
>>45609909
I have a se215, but she said the sq is alright, shes using a cheap JVC earbuds. She did tried a Bower Walkins C5 from her friend and likes it, but still not enough to convince her to spend a bit more on a quality product.
>>
>>45609868
But it's still going to sound good
You're never going to make it sound perfect, it's just impossible. But you have to have a limit on how much you want to spend to make it as good as you can.
It's still going to sound better than cheaper speakers, and it's even going to sound better than cheap speakers in a more acoustically fit room.
It may not sound perfect, but nothing does.
>>
>>45609973
They've got changeable tips and changeable cords, so that's a big plus.
Spend a bit more and you get a lot better sounding IEM's and you get a better ear fit, great isolation, and the ability to just replace the cable if something happens to it, which is generally going to be the first or only thing to go.
>>
File: passeq_web_1500.jpg (298KB, 1500x890px) Image search: [Google]
passeq_web_1500.jpg
298KB, 1500x890px
A certain somebody who isn't allowed to even touch the fucking door knobs in my house anymore broke my last one
but I'm not even sure if that count's in this thread
>>
>>45609973
some people just don't care that much and as far as IEMs go, I can see why; most people only use IEMs when out and about, so the sound quality isn't that important as long as it's not awful

>>45610020
that thing looks expensive as fuck
>>
>>45610057
and those people turn their volume up so much that might as well use a portable speaker. I really hate them
>>
>>45610161
like I said, I only use my headphones when I'm travelling or walking to/from classes

my phone is fine but its dac probably isn't good enough to make use of $200 headphones. add in traffic noises, it just doesn't make sense
>>
File: 20141213_183951.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20141213_183951.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
Does anyone know what kind of hook ups these are? Do I like just wrap the wire strands around it or something?
>>
>>45610242
I'd imagine so. can you "open" them? it looks like you're supposed to put the wire into that hole
>>
>>45610242
what kind of cabinet is it?
>>
>>45610305
>>45610359
I actually figured it out. You have to push on those two metal prongs and it opens the hole. Thanks though guys.
>>
anyone here dealt with Cambridge before? I've been eyeing a few of their amps but the only 'high end' amp I've ever owned is my NAD C326
>>
what would be a good amp + dac for LCD-2s or HD800s?
>>
File: system2.jpg (1MB, 3509x1887px) Image search: [Google]
system2.jpg
1MB, 3509x1887px
Old pic, got a shelf for the records and a nicer rug. Other than a good record cleaner, not much else I want to do to the system itself. Next up (eventually) is the room. New floor and some treatment. Maybe change the color.

>>45608950
Throw together some systems or sell it all and get one good system like the other guy said.
>>45609661
For the money they cost, there are other upgrades that provide a far more noticeable improvement.
>>45609730
Eh, function>form
They are good speakers
>>45609877
Actually have her try some good IEMs, but if she still doesn't care, it's not for her and save your dosh.
>>45610614
I've heard good things about their mid-tier amps (AM series)
>>
>>45610650
>radiohead 4 times in one image
not sure how I feel about this

>sell it all and get one good system
like I said before, my system isn't really bad, and while I could upgrade to a better system if I sold everything I have, it'd take a lot of time and effort

currently using PSB Mk50s powered by a NAD amp (>>45610614), but I've always wanted some towers

maybe I'll try and flip what I have and spend $300-400 on floor standers
>>
This might be better off in /hpg/, but...

I've currently got a decent audio set up. Some decent (lolBestBuy) Klipsch speakers in a 5.1 through a Marantz receiver.

I've also currently got a Philips Fidelio X1 headphone. I'm looking for a good amp/dac combo to use with the headphones, that would also suffice for a much higher end headphone when I one day upgrade.

I was looking at the Bifrost Uber and the Asgard 2. May use them as DAC and pre-amp for my speakers, if it would actually help them, too. But what does /g/ think, of the Bifrost Uber and Asgard 2? Worth the money, and good enough for (Let's say Fostex TH 500 RP/Sennheiser HD 700?)
>>
Looking to get some speakers for my laptop, I know a decent amount about headphones and amps but not the first thing about speakers. What would I be able to get for around $100-200? Gonna use it for mostly movies/tv shows and music (no one particular genre) so need something all around. Again, no idea if this is even possible in the price range.
>>
>>45610939
I'd recommend some powered monitors due to their pricepoint and compactness

you can get a Lepai and Micca pair of speakers for under $60 and have a pretty competitive sound system, but again, it's not as compact as powered monitors
>>
>>45610939
Micca MB42X(when they restock) and a Lepai LP-2020A+

Infinity P153s are like $150/pair and decent enough if you can't wait.
>>
>>45610995
Honestly I have no idea what a powered monitor is, but compact would be good, don't have a lot of space for big speakers and the Micca ones look pretty big.
>>
Just waiting for my Marantz PM94 to get serviced... but the people there are taking their sweeeet ass time (3 months now) and there's noone better in the country to do it.
>>
>>45611050
Audioengine A2 is compact and powered by they're about $200 and perform pretty poorly for that price. But if you absolutely need something that compact, you could do worse.
>>45611074
Call up and bitch
>>
>>45611101
Any good powered monitors to look at?
>>
>>45611101
Already have twice, they can't find schematics and started beating around the bush when I started hinting towards sending it back to me.
I'm not in a huge rush for it back, but I expected a fast turnaround.
>>
>>45611050
powered monitors are just speakers with the amplifier built in rather than passive speakers plus an amplifier

they're generally more expensive but they're probably the best option for you if you just want a simple, attractive system, bear in mind their sound quality isn't as great relative to price

see >>45611101
>>
>>45611122
For under $200? Maybe if you get extremely lucky at a yard sale. Look for brands like Genelec, Adam, Alesis... Avoid Behringer and Rokit

Genelec is expensive, but if you're lucky you can find some for cheap on CL or something and they're pretty compact.
>>
>>45610020

What in the fuck possessed you to put an apostrophe in "counts?"
>>
>>45611137
www.vintageshifi.com/repertoire-pdf/pdf/telecharge.php?pdf=Marantz-PM-94-Schematic.pdf

Literally 5 seconds in google
If this isn't what they're looking for (doubtful), then they're either taking more jobs than they can handle or are just lazy.
>>
>>45611264
what do you think of these?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/hamilton/paradigm-se9-speakers-for-sale/1038955660?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
>>
>>45611340
Good things have been said about the SE9 over the years, never personally heard them though. I don't follow Paradigm prices either so can't comment on that (ebay sold listings are a good ballpark though).
They're pretty tall so I'd recommend some stands to get the tweeters near ear level.

Also, fuck this new captcha system.
>>
So i got an ION TTUSB for free, my uncle used it, ripped old records and gave it to me, i bought a new needle and used it this very day...

I get it's not the best, for whatever reason people shit on it constantly, when, for babby's first turntable it still seems better than a crosley. I think it has a good sound quality (I used the RCA outputs, mainly because i have a hand me down Audio Reciever\Amp that lets me switch from Toslink on PC to RCA on the turntable)

So, like what makes a good turntable in terms of audio quality and durability? What's a good beginner one (or maybe a step up) that would replace this one? or should i stop listening to autists who'd rather go tell me to buy a $500 denon or AT turntable (don't get me wrong, they're nice, just, not my price range at the moment)
>>
>>45611264
I'll send the the PDF anyway, cheers, if I don't get a reply in a week I'll have to drive all the way down to them and just get it back and find another shop.
>>
>>45609868
What do you mean by room conditioning (I'm still new to Audiophile tech, haven't made any substantial investments in anything, but highly curious as to what you'd recommend for "room conditioning" and what it is)
>>
>>45611399
the price seems about average for the area I live in, but lately I've seen a few sets of 7 and 9SEs going for ~$200 ish

what about these?
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/hamilton/paradigm-speakers/1037730752?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/oakville-halton-region/paradigm-9se/1037565243?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

>>45611479
there's a few reasons why people dislike those cheap plastic turntables and it goes beyond the actual audio quality, including
>scratching LPs
>increases amount of people buying used LPs

almost any $100 used turntable will be better than what you have as far as fidelity, durability, and kindness to your LPs
>>
File: dil.jpg (65KB, 478x362px) Image search: [Google]
dil.jpg
65KB, 478x362px
>>45609716
all those case stickers
>>
>>45611479
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and the Rega RP1 are good TTs that don't cost a fortune.
The problem with the ION is the shit materials combined with shit build quality. TTs need pretty tight tolerances and the ION has loads of wow and flutter and isolation issues.
>>45611559
Room conditioning is a sound absorbing material, usually a foam or cloth of some type. Point is to absorb sound, rather than have it reflect around the room, which is detrimental.

It doesn't need an obviously echo-ey room either. You can clap your hands in most rooms and hear a slight ringing afterwards and other anomalies.
>>45611570
Those 9SEs look like a fair deal, but again, not too much of a Paradigm expert.
>>
>>45611655
$400 is above my price range anyway, so unless I could talk him down, I'd probably pass
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.