[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is anyone here a computer systems administrator? What the fuck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 9

File: p061-1-jpg.jpg (46KB, 336x240px) Image search: [Google]
p061-1-jpg.jpg
46KB, 336x240px
Is anyone here a computer systems administrator? What the fuck do you do all day?
>>
Watch hentai and eat Doritos.
>>
Watch other employees watch hentai
>>
watch hentai
>>
Make hentai and homemade Doritos
>>
actually do work
>>
Watch Doritos
>>
Eat hentai and watch doritos
>>
Monitor servers, fix PC's and printers, look for new cost cutting and efficiency techniques, make purchasing decisions, make business decisions, browse SpiceWorks, talk to my friends on my phone.
>>
>>45576632
seems like the most interesting activity
>>
Watch self drawn hentai of your sister
>>
>>45576448
>Is anyone here a computer systems administrator?

Half of /g/ is.

>What the fuck do you do all day?

Browse /g/
>>
browse reddit
>>
>>45576662
/g/ is blocked by the county firewall B)
>>
>>45576448
sometimes i switch of the server, watch panic ensue and then heroically save the day.
>>
>>45576671
Use tor.
>>
>>45576691
McAfee Endpoint Protection would block it.
Plus HTTPS traffic is blocked for anything but safe sites like Microsoft.
YouTube is forced HTTP and so is Google.
>>
>>45576710
Where did you get a whitelist for legitimate SSL traffic for port 80?
>>
I literally did nothing.

I sat and just watched everything. Once a system is up and running well, as long as you did it correctly shit shouldn't just magically fuck up though.

Granted, I did pray to the network gods.
>>
File: p1.png (326KB, 3080x2788px) Image search: [Google]
p1.png
326KB, 3080x2788px
Found it kinda funny
>>
File: .png (1MB, 3000x2500px) Image search: [Google]
.png
1MB, 3000x2500px
Part 2
>>
>>45576746
Le Google Ultron B)
>>
>>45576710
Can you use google translate to view other pages?
>>
>>45576729
Any encrypted traffic is blocked.

i.e. if the county doesn't know where you're going and what you're doing, you don't do it.
>>
>>45576743
>Not praying to the C'tan
Do you even play Necrons?
>>
>>45576782
Google Translate is blocked.
>>
Doritos watch me eat hentai
>>
>>45576671
where the fuck do you live
>>
File: 1385675000610.gif (904KB, 500x532px) Image search: [Google]
1385675000610.gif
904KB, 500x532px
I've got an interview for junior sysadmin position on Monday, what do you think they'll ask?
>>
Sysadmin for the local ISP.

Started working at daytime and it was a mess, we had a lot of work to do. Then I said fuck it, boss told me that I could work at night so I started doing "maintenance" and check if the service was working,

I come here at 11pm and leave 7am, I usually play video games and get paid a lot for doing nothing.
>>
>>45576448
If I drop out of college, I'm thinking about trying to get a job at a local company doing something like this.
It's a really small town, so I probably have a chance to at least be someone's apprentice or something.
>>
>>45576448
Mostly browse the Internet, field requests and streamline our processes. I'm a sucker for process automation, as far as I'm concerned I should only have to get hands-on if something's never happened before.
>>
>>45576829
how many gentoo machines have you administered in the past? what is your position on GPLv3? do you ever eat skin off your feet?
>>
>>45576829
How much hentai have you watched?
Do you masturbate to exclusively dickgirls?
Why haven't you installed Gentoo, shaved your legs, and bought a Dragon Dildo yet?
>>
File: regular_expressions.png (105KB, 600x607px) Image search: [Google]
regular_expressions.png
105KB, 600x607px
I work sun-thursday

Sunday and Thursday I watch anime, browse /g/, drink coffee and try to pretend like I haven't scripted out two whole days of work.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday I am relieved from actually doing incident level stuff and work on problem management and change management. Basically I just tweak nagios monitoring and/or tell applications to get there shit together.

Occasionally something is on fire and I do something cool.
>>
>>45576662
>Half of /g/ is.
Ha ha ha ha ha no. Half of /g/ can't identify a non-consumer router on the first go.

>inb4 that's the other half
>>
File: 4644.jpg (70KB, 248x252px) Image search: [Google]
4644.jpg
70KB, 248x252px
>>45576792
>Do you even play Necrons?
Nah, all hair terra.

But on the real, I pray to the Commo Gods now.

>MFW commo in the army
>join the army they said..
>>
>>45576895
What kind certs do you need to be a sysadmin?

I have Network+ and CCNA
>>
>>45576710
>>45576786
Why are you saying county? Do you mean country?

And what country?
>>
>>45576448

Job always starts hard because you are getting shit set your way and getting scripts and stuff made.

After awhile though you have a broken in plan for everything and it tends to just be sitting there and occasional wack a mole.

Also you should be happy the bosses never ask me to catch you doing whatever nojn work with your computer.
>>
>>45576915
I didn't have shit. lol

The guy just knew me and talked to me a lot about shit with his systems
>multi-store lan cafe
Went there many years during HS, so when I got out he hired me for odd jobs until I got an actual job under him. Was the easiest shit ever.
>>
>>45576910
Necrons are too fucking OP, even a 1500pt Grey Knight army couldn't beat a 1250pt Necron army. That being said, I play Tau. Imperium a shit.
>>
>>45576925
I mean county.

I work in a school, basically they go to Kent Country Council, go "gib IT pls", and they get a dedicated internet line, firewall blocking, antivirus and a plethora of other stuff for about £10k a year.
>>
For the mostly whatever i feel like doing.
>>
File: 1385681433402.jpg (108KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1385681433402.jpg
108KB, 1920x1080px
>>45576873
>how many gentoo machines have you administered in the past?
Only ever used Gentoo on my old X201. Does ricing count as administering?
>what is your position on GPLv3?
Cancer.
>do you ever eat skin off your feet?
Haven't tried that yet actually.

>>45576880
>How much hentai have you watched?
Too much. I can't even get it up to 3DPD anymore.
>Do you masturbate to exclusively dickgirls?
Dickgirls aren't bad in a while, but not exclusively.
>Why haven't you installed Gentoo, shaved your legs, and bought a Dragon Dildo yet?
I'm ugly as sin, wouldn't even be cute.

A-am I getting the job?
>>
>>45576915
I don't have any.

IDK what city you are in but where I live I just basically listed experience in linux that I got from fiddling around at home and started applying everywhere.

When I got my phone screen which at our company is really what the use to decide if they will hire you or not the didn't ask me anything about my resume. I was just drilled on linux questions for 45min. My case might be unique but I would say just know your material.
>>
>>45576936
lel
>>
>>45576943
*Kent County Council
>>
>>45576835
You get paid for screwing your health. The healthiest time for sleeping is exactly between those hours. Otherwise your brain's circadian rhythms will get screwed up and when you're old, you will have lots of health problems because of that.
>>
>>45576947
How do I know my material?
>>
>>45576964
The proper way to do it is to sleep at work and play video games during the day when you get off.
>>
>>45576965
Fiddle with linux
>>
>>45576965
For me it was just linux questions and some scripting stuff like: Linux filesystem hierarchy, init runlevels, syntax for a for loop in bash.

Basically do you know the fundamentals of what you plan on administering.
>>
>>45576964
My father has been working on rotating shifts (days, afternoons, nights) for about 30 years. Aside from genetic type II diabetes and occasional narcolepsy, he's pretty healthy.
>>
>>45576873
>how many gentoo machines have you administered in the past?
Gentoo, what's that?

>what is your position on GPLv3?
My position is usually bent over laughing.

>do you ever eat skin off your feet?
NO!, but I tried to eat some foot skin off RMS once before his GNUstapo assholes dragged me away...
>>
>>45577007
>For me it was just linux questions and some scripting stuff like

That was good, you may have been in trouble if they asked you what a vagina looked like.
>>
>>45577195
I've watched enough uncensored JAV to know what a vagina looks like, thank you very much!
>>
>>45577210
>I've watched enough uncensored JAV to know what a vagina looks like

That's good anon, at least you don't think they look like loads of colored pixels.

BTW - I'm not a robot...
>>
Where are most sys admin jobs? Cities?
>>
>>45577316
Yeah, they are in the cities.
>>
>>45576448
I'm an IT technician. It's also my responsibility to take care of servers (thankfully almost everything is virtualized in hyper-v)
>What the fuck do you do all day?
Replacing old PCs with new PCs, fixing any problems with software/hardware, playing cs:go with my colleagues.
It's the best job I've ever had.
>>
>>45577435
How's the money?
>>
>>45577316

Yes, and they're all 12 month contracts now so GLHF making a career out of anything IT related that's not literally autism based like chip design.
>>
>>45578080

He works as a contractor, the pay is around $15/hour and he's gonna be jobless within 12 months spending any savings he scrounged together to keep a roof over his head because 12 months doesn't accumulate enough unemployment credits to pay a sustainable amount of money.

TL;DR - Contract jobs are the new cyclic recessions and you should kill yourself. Stay poor goy.
>>
>>45576822
>Kent County

That would be good ol underdeveloped Michigan.
>>
Systems/Support Engineer here

Everyday has new issues, between then you either screw about or get some low-priority work done like documentation.

Some tasks off top of my head:
>Attempt P2V conversion of servers for DR testing
>Configure replacement pfsense firewall to replace shitty Cisco 5505
>Check backup jobs and try to work out why VSS failed AGAIN!
>Help end-user with SharePoint docs not opening
>Help end-user to setup email archiving when he hits the mailbox quota
>Create Security groups in a vain attempt to make SharePoint permissions manageable
>Shuffle VMs about in a vain attempt to prevent Developers overloading the Hypervisors again and remove the umpteen snapshots clogging the drive space

I could go on for ages
>>
12 year sysadmin here. I build new systems, troubleshoot current ones, and decommission the old. Handle escalations from helpdesk when they get stuck. Manage business needs weighed against budget restrictions. Look at my users' internet and email data when I'm bored. And the 100k a year isn't bad.
>>
>>45578175
>VSS
Oh microsoft
>>
Sure is compucom in here
>>
>>45578284
Teach me master. What should I learn to become sysadmin?
>>
>>45580508
They already said, learn the systems you want to administer, then get a job admin'ing.
>newsflash, most domains are windows domains, not loonix/gnu
>>
>>45580971
But what exactly they do, what software they use? By administrating the systems it means not to let employees get viruses or what? What exactly they do?
>>
>>45576448
Jack off in the server room.
>>
wait for things to break and fuckwit staff to call me with "problems"
>>
>>45576843
I got a job like this with a literature degree, so anything is possible.
>>
run microsoft security baseline analyzer over and over
>>
>>45581198
Local LANs and networking systems require design, maintenance, upkeep, and upgrades to stay current. System Admins actually design, implement and maintain their LAN system. Depending on the needs the "system" can vary quite a bit. Example Walmart's system is vastly larger, and more complex than say a family owned restaurant. But they both accomplish the same thing, they link all the computers and network devices in the business together to share resources and communicate. They both have points of sale, workstations (for inventory or the books), wifi, TVs, etc, etc They both have printers, NAS, and need say a POS to communicate a transaction to a server, who then contacts the card company, who then contacts the bank...
So like I said, systems admins design these systems. Servers, OSs, applications, hardware, etc are all tools that are used to build up a system, and then it needs maintenance and upgrades periodically. System admins make all of this happen.
Like a lot have said, a good system needs very little invention once its up and running, just periodic things, and "whack a mole" or putting out fires when they occur.

I get where youre coming from, its hard to see not being in IT, but its a lot of jackin it and doritos if you're good at your job.
>>
>>45576746

I still never got why he needed to install Adobe Reader so much.
>>
i honestly spend more than half my goofing around on the internet while on the other part I browse the internet while waiting for things i just started and then was waiting on
>>
File: 1344597618008.gif (566KB, 236x177px) Image search: [Google]
1344597618008.gif
566KB, 236x177px
Open PowerShell, execute scripts.

Stuff my mouth with puffed generic Cheetos.
>>
Systems analyst (step below admin but its the same shit)
Spend day doing the following:
>Answering calls from old ladies who expect me to remote into their computer with not internet connection when in reality they turned off wifi on their laptop

>Remote into my computer and download torrents

>Browse 4 chan

>Pick up calls for some shit head who need a network drive remapped or something

>Sit in a chair, listen to people complain and fix their shit problems

It is fun, but be prepared to be in the realm of true neckbeards and to eventually spend all your money on useless new technology.
>>
>>45578175
if it's the same issue i've seen, vss is failing because you have to use a 512e formatted drive. native 4k won't work.

google "server 2008 backup 4k"

it will work if you take out the system image backup or use a drive from this list:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1780.external-backup-drives-compatibility-list.aspx
>>
>>45577020
>pretty healthy
>aside from narcolepsy and type II diabetes
Then, he's not healthy.

>>45576964
I don't know, what about the Uberman Sleep Cycle and those things? I haven't tried it myself, but I've done something similar a few times for a few weeks.
>>
>>45582909
Roughly speaking what do you have to take into account when designing these "systems"? From buying stuff for lan parties my mindset is basically: have a DHCP server, a bunch of switches, and a gateway to the internet, done. But I'm guessing that is naive
>>
>>45583164
that's the basics. but it gets a lot more complicated when you're designing systems for a wide array of businesses with needs that are as varied as the stars
>>
>>45583164
Some networks span multiple physical locations, so tunneling and multiple routers would need to be set up. Not only that, every service you have needs to be configured and given appropriate permissions/access.

You also need to keep a close eye on security. Configuring routers and firewalls to keep out the rabble, manage active directory and security groups to prevent morons from infecting everything and masturbate furiously to cartoon women getting reamed.
>>
>>45583164
for one example, email: local or hosted exchange? how many users? what licenses (server, CALS, exchange)? do the clients all have outlook already? spam filtering? virus scanning? encryption required (medical/hippa)?

there's a lot of things to take into consideration for every tiny little business need some owner can dream up. it's all about big data now (n-able, labtech, spiceworks, etc)
>>
>>45582909
this guy

>>45583195
>>45583228
>>45583257
All very apt.
Another example is keeping transactions secure. A lot of business use the same equipment for POS and everything else. How do you keep the traffic secure from one another while using the same infrastructure. How do you manage the POS? Are they dumb terminals with a server? Semi-smart machines with no local storage, and a RAM disk that builds from a PxE boot, or maybe they're fully autonomous computers that have local resources. Each has their pros and cons.

The new big thing, especially in sales, and this BS is coming from the top down, is that execs want as many sales associates to be mobile, and ringing people up with iPads. Can you imagine that? You have Unix servers, windows workstations/POS and some windows servers, and then your management demands that everyone has iPads just when you've gotten the system stable and happy after migrating from windows XP to 7.
>>
>>45583668
lol so true
>>
>>45576758
http://ultronbrowser.info/
>>
>>45576945
Sounds like your getting a new job to me.
But seriously, you should just be able to answer some minor questions about servicing servers.
>>
File: 1412992106650.jpg (22KB, 598x288px) Image search: [Google]
1412992106650.jpg
22KB, 598x288px
>>45576448

>what do you do

Typical day:

>1st thing check emails for any urgent requests or outages
>check logs and server health
>complete outstanding high priority tickets
>do as many menial task tickets as possible and any requests as they come-in
>lunch
>check server health and urgent requests and tickets
>work on long term projects

That's about the gist of it.
>>
>>45576674
I too saw that thread.
>>
I mostly read the newspaper and browse 4chins
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.