[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do i become an intellectual? serious question, i will put

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

File: 1490674165185.jpg (197KB, 1536x1906px) Image search: [Google]
1490674165185.jpg
197KB, 1536x1906px
how do i become an intellectual?

serious question, i will put in the work, i just need a guide
>>
Have you tried going to college and majoring in the humanities?
>>
Peter B Jordanson, Obviously.
>>
Read philosophy
Do critical thinking
>>
>>32377
start with Northrop Frye.

or go in another direction comletely: Jean Baudrillard; try System of Objects but if it gets confusing move to The Gulf War Did Not Take Place, and if you need a break from that (but you shouldn't, it's very short) pick up America.
>>
>>32388
fpbp
>>
>>32377
kek i know this girl
>>
>>32469
if dubs send a link to this thread to her
>>
>>32469
what's it like to know a girl personally?
>>
File: absolutelyharam.jpg (96KB, 531x471px) Image search: [Google]
absolutelyharam.jpg
96KB, 531x471px
>>32469
>see thumbnail
>"oh wow she sure is a qt 3.14"
>open it
>WoW shirt
D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D
>>
>>32377
Just put your mind to things that are not social. There is such a thing as being socially smart but none considers that to be an actual thing.
Since you will be spending less time with people criticising you for how stupid you really are and you are feeling that you are following intellectual pursuits, you should be good to go.
What you consider intellectual is up to you.
>>
>>32486
she's about 15 so about as annoying as you'd expect. She played me while talking to one of my friends and kept telling him lies about me.

internet girls are drama
>>
>>32469
Is she blind or a xanax fiend? Those eyes are a thousand yards away
>>
>>32377
Start with the Greeks
>>
File: lit books.jpg (1MB, 1820x4348px) Image search: [Google]
lit books.jpg
1MB, 1820x4348px
>>32672
Also these
>>
File: lit by colour.jpg (651KB, 1000x2406px) Image search: [Google]
lit by colour.jpg
651KB, 1000x2406px
>>32698
Wrong pic.
sorry
>>
Get a doctorate from a noteworthy university, write a book on something somewhat controversial/very controversial, use your students/idiots who agreed with you to begin with as veritable sockpuppets to further your beliefs and goals

change controversy and sockpuppets as necessary, and that's about it

t. bitter student
>>
>>32377
Follow the steps of modern-intellectual John Green
>>
I don't even have a highschool diploma. Can I become an intellectual like you guys?
>>
hi
>>
>>read the sticky
>>
>>32377
Read Plato
>>
File: never go full socrates.png (683KB, 439x645px) Image search: [Google]
never go full socrates.png
683KB, 439x645px
discover whether statements are true or not
>>
>>32486
The only reason to tolerate most is the potential to get inside their pants. Even some of my closest female friends get very boring.
>>
>>32388
Yeah then you can write novels about your life as a homeless person
>>
If you have to ask, you'll never know.
>>
>>32377
Read non-fiction and consider the implications of what you've read (i.e., how does this connect to the past, how will this impact the future, in what spheres is it already in-play, etc.,.).

Read fiction and analyze the works thematically and symbolically, as well as taking the time to comprehend the relation of the work to its time period (i.e., how is it a product of its time, how did it influence its time or the time after, etc.,.)

Read philosophy, and before resorting to summaries or commentaries done by experts attempt to make sense of the work for yourself. Keep the ideas you make about the work as tentative hypotheses which you can amend or replace as necessary. Always consider the historical environmental spheres affecting the work - intellectual, religious, political, technological, etc.,.

Read the great poets. Study their symbolism and the roots of those symbols. Study the structures of their works and consider what innovations they are/were making (are they bending rules, breaking them, birthing a structure all their own, playing with established meanings of words or symbols, etc.,.).

Analyze the works of the great painters and sculptors. This can be done in a similar manner to the analysis of poetry and other literature.

Listen to classical music and opera. Start with the old, or reasonably old in any case, and move forward. This will permit you to see, just as in philosophy, art, and literature, what structures are being altered or played with by the composers. At the very least, familiarize yourself with the most studied composers, and their work.

Practice mathematics. Just as in developing the body, the mind should be exercised comprehensively. When studying, attempt to visualize the mathematics unfolding in the real world. If you uncertain how the math connects to the real world, find out. This will likely help you cultivate retention, mathematical creativity, and insight.

Watch films intellectually. By "intellectually," I mean, analyze them as you would a literary or visual work of art, as it is both. Familiarize yourself with works from a variety of directors, nations, and artistic movements. Attempt, like with several of the other categories, to understand the relationship between the filmmaker's work and its historic, philosophical, and artist backdrop. Is the director breaking rules, altering symbols, creating symbols, and the like? Ask yourself questions like these incessantly.

Entertain yourself with things which require cognitive effort. Play Chess, Igo, Shogi, Mahjong, Diplomacy, Sudoku, and other such games (the difficulty in many of these varies depending on who you play with, however).

Pick up hobbies which will round-out your personality and skill set.

Learn a foreign language - or many, if you can.

Familiarize yourself with other cultures. In doing this, always attempt to understand how the people within the culture see themselves and the world.

(con't below)
>>
>>34423
I have found, in addition to studying the basics of a people's language, reading their myths, religious texts, and having a general understanding of the flow of their history are integral foundations for understanding culture.

These last two things are implied in what I've already listed, but you must study and practice to become excellent at conceptualization and analysis. Without the ability to deal with abstractions in a facile manner, I'm not certain one can become an intellectual.

Welcome to the journey - good luck.
>>
>>34427
I should have also mentioned, one should keep up with the developments in one's fields of interest.

Likewise, it is important not to be completely ignorant in political and economic subjects. Including current national and global climates in these spheres.

Additionally, it is greatly helpful to keep abreast of the latest scientific developments, by finding a reliable scientific news reporting outlet, and regularly perusing the headlines - if not actually reading through the material.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.