[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Immanuel Kant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

Started reading "The critique of pure reason". I'm enjoying it so far, thoughts on this book; read anything similar?
>>
>>28902
This is the beginning of all degeneracy in the West.
>>
Starting strength by mark rippetoe
>>
>>28902
I know I'll get shit on for this, and rightfully so, but I just could not get through Kant. I tried, and it was very hard to understand. Do you need to work up to this or something? Or just take it very slow and with lots of notes?
>>
>>28902
>continental philosophy
>modern philosophy
You wanna know how I know you're gay?
>>
>>29315
>Uhhh
>yaaahh
>about that
>uhhh no.
We went down that road a long time ago.
>>
>>29381
Only because it requires a bunch of self-referential nonsense to understand. He's not really saying anything new. But his followers think he's modernphil Jesus.
>>
Kant was a fucking retarded

Stop reading this shit
>>
>>29406
Yes, but when this cancer entered educated thought it gave rise to liberalism, Marxism, and the end of religion.
>>
File: kantlet.png (88KB, 630x152px) Image search: [Google]
kantlet.png
88KB, 630x152px
>Kantlet
>>
>>29444
Oh I see what you mean. Carry on.
>>
>>29437
This. He's overrated shit. If you really care about what he's talking about, Hume is superior in every way. But all of that shit is mostly uninteresting.

His categorical imperative is useless nonsense that people only pretend makes sense.
>>
>>28902
Nice timing & Deontology too, A++
>>
>>29477
>if everyone rode on the trolley free there would be no trolley lmao
>>
that it belongs on /his/
>>
None of you know the first thing about Kant.

Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Morals is a fantastic introduction to Kant and it's not hard to read at all unless you're just not trying at all. Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics is the next step. The critiques are longer and more difficult but groundwork and prolegomena provide a solid foundation. Anyway OP, don't listen to those idiots.
>>
>>30026
t. Continentalfag
>>
>>30488
kant is probably the most important philosopher in analytic philosophy since 1960
>>
>>29444
lol liberalism existed long before Kantian thought
>>
>>29444
Where did you learn this? It's completely incorrect on so many levels
>>
File: KantBeer.jpg (28KB, 195x277px) Image search: [Google]
KantBeer.jpg
28KB, 195x277px
>>29411

> He's not really saying anything new.

Gonna chill and wait to see if you can explain just what you mean.

*sip*
>>
>>29444
>MUH LIBRUHLSSSSS
>>
Haven't read him, but have a question. Isn't emotional, non logic driven ideas what we call people who don't use philosophy at all? I thought that's why we started searching for "truth."

If we are talking about truths which cannot be sensed, wouldn't that be plato's gig?
>>
>>28902

Nice timestamp. Palate cleanse afterwards with some Thomas Aquinas.
>>
>>32838
>emotional, non logic driven ideas
Are you implying this is what Kant was doing? Because that's completely fucking wrong, whoever told you that is a complete dumbass.
>>
File: Juno Views Jupiter From Below.jpg (204KB, 1425x1869px) Image search: [Google]
Juno Views Jupiter From Below.jpg
204KB, 1425x1869px
>>32838

Kant's philosophy often involves emotions and other non-logical mental states - but these states are interpreted rationally, logically, and that's what makes the procedure philosophical. The objects of philosophical reflection do not themselves need to be philosophically reflective, as is obvious when we shift our attention from inner representations, like emotional impulses, to outer representations, like rocks and water and trees and planets.
>>
Christcuck delusions and mental gymnastics to justify muh god in the age of Enlightenment
Read any contemporary response to Kant instead
>>
>>34106
this t b h
>>
File: Daphnis.jpg (100KB, 1041x1041px) Image search: [Google]
Daphnis.jpg
100KB, 1041x1041px
>>34106

This is simplistic. Kant did have an underlying bias towards monotheism that skewed his system, as can especially be seen in the Critique of Practical Reason - but how much of this was due to any sincere belief in orthodox Christianity, or due to the need to appease the piety of his audience, is less clear. Kant himself would not willingly enter a church (which is likely related to his upbringing among Pietists who were wary of organized religion), and he probably felt the need to dress his system in Christian garb so as to ward off suspicions of atheism; he published arguments for the naturalistic development of the solar system from a primordial nebula, for the possibility of an evolutionary process of species development, and against the need for a theistic foundation to morality.

And how well can anyone judge the reliability of a contemporary response without reading what it's responding to?
>>
>>29445
topkek

it's like pottery
>>
anybody has copypasta/comic strip/quick rundowns explaining kant and his influence?
>>
To truly understand Kant, you must know his history, where he comes from.
Before reading his works, I would highly recommend reading up on his past, try out his wikipedia page for starters
>>
File: image.jpg (293KB, 2309x1920px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
293KB, 2309x1920px
>>34694

You could try following this link, starting with the thirteenth post. If you read what follows twice, I hope enough will be clear for you to underestand many Kantian basics - though I didn't write it to be as intriductory as you're requesting. But you'll have to get used to some much denser writing if you want to dance with the man himself.

https://4archive.org/board/his/thread/771658
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.