[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reading at the gym

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 2

File: reading2.jpg (360KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
reading2.jpg
360KB, 1600x1200px
my gf got her ass blown out from some dudebro who asked her, "seriously? you're reading at the gym?"

is it OK to read at the gym /fitlit/?
>>
>>27169
No.
End thread
>>
>>27169
Yes, I read journal articles/grade in the gym all the time
>>
>>27169
why would she let someone who was being rude to her blow her ass out? Sucks for you I guess, women are all whores though, we all gotta learn sometime.
>>
You look pretentious as fuck if you do that.
>>
>>29164
FIT
LIT

I walk around empty fields reading books desu.
>>
>>27169
If you are reading at the gym, then you are not moving fast enough on cardio, or you are unfocused while moving the heavy thing. One is robbing you of your potential, and the other is dangerous. Audiobooks during cardio are acceptable, but I recommend music with BPMs that help with pacing.
>>
>>29400
This. Reading while you work out isn't really acceptable, it can be quite dangerous.
>>
/lit/ here but I plan on signing up for the gym soon. I thought I'd bring poetry books with me so I can read short material between sets.
>>
>>29479
Then you are resting too long.

If training for hypertrophy or endurance, your rest should be roughly the amount of time it takes to complete one set. 30-60 seconds. Spend that time focusing on how your muscles feel. Are you hitting the right muscles? can you improve your form? Devote yourself to it fully.

Similarly, when you read. devote yourself to it fully. No distractions.
>>
>>29600
Huh, I'd heard that you should take 3 minutes of rest between sets, which seems more than enough time to read someone like Housman, especially when rereading. I'm the sort of person who needs constant stimulation so I was looking for something to do during that rest period. But if it's only 30 seconds I guess that's unnecessary.
>>
>>29726
>3 minutes
No, anon, no. You don't want your muscles to fully rest. 30-60 seconds is totally correct.
>>
>>29726
Rest periods depend completely on your goals. If you are looking to be a strength athelete, then longer rest periods between 3 and 5 minutes can be helpful. I'f you're looking for endurance, or muscles the look big, you want shorter rest periods. Either way, gyms can be busy places. Often people are going to be waiting to use the equipment you are on. Long rest periods are for strongman gyms. Your typical gym needs you to move along.
>>
>>29832
>>29803
Thanks for the info bros
>>
>>29854
happy to help. Good luck, and don't be a stranger. (Read the sticky)
>>
>>29832
wait, i thought big muscles come with strength training. so someone who looks smaller mght actually be able to lift heavier than a bigger guy?
>>
>>29803

depends if you're doing heavy compounds or just going for a pump and doing cardio with weights
>>
>>29400
bruh what are you focusing on during rest time
>>
>>29902
Strength training tends to lead to a totally different physique. Bigger, Bulkier. Looks like crap if not in a tailored suit. Hypertrophy is for big looking muscles that aren't as effective. So yes, muscle mass is a factor, but you need to compare different meatheads. Look up champion World's Strongest Man competitors, Vs Mr Olympia Champions (Ignore Mariuz. He's a freak of genetics)
>>
>>29936
My next set. What felt right and wrong in the previous set. Breathing.
>>
>>29977
what do you mean strength training looks bad
>>
>>30000
powerlifters end up looking like big potatoes with arms, and a very stunted sad looking neck
>>
>>30022
that's because they're fat not because of their strength training
>>
What do I do if it's my first day at the gym and I don't know how to do any lifts?
>>
>>29977

they're all on a fuckton of gear, you shouldn't base anything on either group. Jesus christ /fit/ has got to be one of the dumbest boards.
>>
>>30022
pretty much this. Strength training is very focused on core work. It creates bulk but less definition. Muscle mass is important in both, but it's all about where you are putting it.
>>
>>30022
you realize they have to be fat to be stronger right
>>
>>30079
Do you think Gear is magic? What you do int he gym still determines how you look. Gear just lets you get there faster.
>>
>>30057
well read/watch how to do them first, and then at the gym just do them. trust me nobody cares.
>>30085
wrong. definition is purely a function of bodyfat levels
>>
>>30057
When you join most gyms, they will give you a few free sessions with a trainer.

Otherwise, pick a program you're going to follow, and look for videos on bodybuilding.com or youtube. Don't be afraid to ask people. Gymbros aren't scary. They want you to be in there improving yourself.
>>
>>30125
and you are wrong. If you don't add isolations to tap muscles not in play in compounds, you will never look your best. Yes, low bodyfat gives you that cut look, but rep and set variances will provide completely different aesthetics.
>>
>>30125
>>30135
If I go in on my first day and I start doing squats, and my form is terrible, will people laugh at me?
>>
Just listen to an audiobook or podcast.
>>
>>30108
Gear is literally magic you fuckwit, you can make more gains on gear without working out than a natty that does work out. Read some studies idiot, we're /fitlit/ now
>>
>>30203
No. Bad squat form is no laughing matter. If anything they will take a moment to help correct your form before you hurt yourself.
>>
>>30203
Maybe, but fuck them they're assholes. Seriously though, nobody really cares, some people may even try to help you out. That's why we're at the gym right, to get better.
>>30177
you're right about that, but that's completely irrelevant to what was said. Definition is about bodyfat, pure and simple. Muscle mass or not, less bodyfat = more definition.
>>
>>30237
Implying /fit/ doesn't obsess over every gear study.

Yes, gear will enlarge muscles undergoing even minor activity. This is why thickened heart walls are a concern. But you still have to get in and put in the work, or your sedentary ass just gets larger with no aesthetic gains.
>>
>>30289
The amount of work you "have" to put in is significantly less than the work nattys put in, and it gives more gains. Gear enlarges muscles without the muscles being put under stress.
>>
>>30256
I agree. But we're not talking definition. We're talking about where mass is located and whether you are training long twitch or short twitch muscle fiber. It creates an entirely different look. We're also talking people who literally train 4 movements, versus people who isolate.
>>
>>30348
Ok, so if you really want to pay money for gear, and do minimla effort to look natty, you can. You're right. It's possible. But what idiot pays 150 a cycle for tren to look like the guy who just goes in and lifts hard natty?
>>
File: 1431030145869.jpg (11KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1431030145869.jpg
11KB, 200x200px
>>29400
>audio books
>>
>>30392
way to pick out one thing that I said is acceptable, but I don't even recommend. Seriously. Who cares what you have in your headphones?

We've got /lit/ here today. Let's show that we understand a little thing called context, numbnuts.
>>
>>30377
The point is that you'd look better than the natty. You can do nothing and gain faster than a natty
>>
>>30377
What if I'm a pretty fat low-t guy who makes $180k and spends $150 every three days for expensive delivery food without a thought? Would it be worth it?
>>
So if audiobooks, are the way in the gym, what audiobooks would you listen to in the gym /fitlit/?
>>
>>30674
Also I work 80 hours a week, so gym time is hard to come by, at least harder than for most. And I'm over 30.
>>
>>30693
do DNP cycles and try not to die
>>
>>30736
Not really worried about dying. I'm alone, so if I'm still alone at 35 it's kinda over anyway. Just don't want to do anything that'd make me spaz our at or miss work -- as long as I'm alive, I need to be able to be a professional at all times.

Will DNP make me sick or spazzy? Or will it just be either good results or death? The latter I can live (or not) with.
>>
>>30772
here's some no-bullshit info on DNP
https://www.steroid.com/DNP.php
>>
>>27169
I tried.

I didn't work
>>
>>29726
Depends on what you're lifting for.

Either way, in between sets I'm typically thinking about my muscles, stretching them, pumping them, and generally getting amped for the next set. As much as I like to read, I try to be fully focused and devoted to my workout, mentally, physically, and emotionally, while I'm in the gym.
>>
sometimes I read while on the stationary bike, but I am only doing a 40 minute zone 2 spin so its boring as fuck if I dont have something else to do.
>>
What is "gear", is that some wordfilter for roids?
>>
>>29902
You'll get big muscles, but lifters training for sheer size and lifters lifting for pure power lift very differently. Bodybuilders typically lift more reps and rest less, going for total muscular breakdown so they get bigger faster. One rep maxes are a secondary concern. Powerlifters typically do heavier lifts for less reps and rest several minutes, and only care about boosting their one rep max.
>>
>>30886
yes, however it also can mean heroin.
>>
>>30377
Don't listen to him. /fit/ is comprised of DYELs who think anyone with a reasonable amount of muscle mass is on gear because in their minds it's the only way to get results. I've seen large amounts of people here accuse people with muscles I'd say would take a year or two of moderate natty lifting of using gear and that it's the only possible explanation.
>>
>>30973
yea its totally out of control.
>>
>>30918
Not sure if memeing, I never browse /fit/.

I've heard of "dexing", which as I understand it is people taking stimulants and then doing a rigorous workout they wouldn't otherwise be able to do, and then dying of a heart attack, I could see the same sort of thing with an opioid, but not heroin
>>
>>30973
Let's say I'm fat (270 lbs 6'3") low t (pear shaped, silver dollar nipples, no beard) and over 30. Never lifted seriously.

What's my best hope for a body that your average guy or girl would be pleasantly impressed by when I take my shirt off? In how long? Natty versus gear? Money's not an issue.
>>
>>30973
Suck my dick http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199607043350101
>>
>>27169
if its between sets then its weird but fine if you aren't doing shit or taking 10 min rests then yeah its fucking weird and you shouldn't take up valuable space
>>
>>31045
You know what to do, I don't even browse /fit/ and I know what to do:

Change your eating habits, start walking and then running, go to the gym and get a trainer

Or just lower your standards and find someone that looks like you
>>
>>31051
>http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199607043350101
>hurr test injections increase muscle mass and strength
No shit sherlock. But exercising + test resulted in increases over test and no exercise, nor did that page say where the exercise and no test group.

At the end of the day, people thinking that the only way to get good gains is gear are retarded. You can acheive phenomal natty gains if you follow a great diet and lift hard and well. Roids will speed them up, obviously, and you will hit a natty wall due to natty test limits that can be passed with roids, but you can achieve a stellar body natty.
>>
>>31189
>Or just lower your standards and find someone that looks like you
I've got shit social skills. With that factor all my gfs have been 2-3 points lower than me even on my out-of-shape scale and I resent them for it and become emotionally abusive. So I just stay single.
>>
>>31263
>At the end of the day, people thinking that the only way to get good gains is gear are retarded.
I never argued that, and if you read my previous posts you would know that. The point I've been trying to make, that you can't seem to grasp, is that gear is magic and you don't even have to put in work with it.
>>
>>31045
Change your eating habits. Start exercising. Anyone can lose weight and build muscle. There are plenty of natural ways to boost you test levels, diet and exercise being huge contributors.

What you'll want to do is find a calorie target (read the wiki), and get the minimum amount of carbs (~100g for your brain, plus some for your muscles, let's say 50g for examples sake), 1-2g/lb of protein (let's say 300g for you since more is really hard especially starting out), and then fill the rest with quality fats. Fats are crucial for your body to produce hormones, and a healthy cholesterol intake is vital for testosterone production (or estrogen if you're a woman). Under no circumstance should you ever eat anything with transfat. Don't just look at the nutrition facts, read the ingredients. If it has ANY hydrogenated oils in it, it has trans fat and you should put it back on the shelf. You'll mostly want unsaturated fats with some saturated and cholesterol.

Let's say your calorie target is 2700. With your carb and protein levels, you're at 1800. Fats have 9 calories per gram, so that makes a nice 100g of fat.

Start an exercise program with weight lifting and cardio, and start small. Don't hurt yourself, but be consistent.

Your best hope is to eat well and lift good. Progress will come faster than you probably realize.
>>
>>31272
Have you tried medication? Not memeing, medication (in my case an ADHD drug that also has the side effect of improving mood via modifying dopamine in the brain) allowed me to get a break from the negative feelings and thoughts (that were and still are totally justified)

Even though we're intellectual beings, we still have the physical animal body, and the stress of just feeling bad feeds back on your mind and makes it easier to act out / snap / etc
>>
>>31553
I take 5-10 mg of adderall daily (without a prescription). Just makes me weirder and more introverted, desu, but it helps with the long work days. Also probably hurts my eating habits: I don't eat all day, and then slam 3k kcal + 3 beers (IPAs at that, which I understand lower T) and go to sleep every night. I know that's horrible but that's the current habit.
>>
>>31620
>Just makes me weirder and more introverted

I've heard that can happen, that's why I avoided adderall and went with Focalin (it's ritalin but a mirror of the molecule, or some shit)

Adderall is clearly not working for you, try Ritalin / Vyvanse / Concerta or Modafinil / Provigil

Modafinil is a little harder to get a prescription for because using it for ADHD is off-label, and while you can claim falling asleep at the wheel often, falling asleep during the day, etc there's like a chance your GP is going to make you take a sleep fitness test (or they might not)

Or you might just need an actual anti-depressant, some therapy, and to meet like minded people
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.