[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When people say they can bench x, squat y, or lift z are they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: cool dude.jpg (92KB, 634x632px) Image search: [Google]
cool dude.jpg
92KB, 634x632px
When people say they can bench x, squat y, or lift z are they talking about one rep max? If so, that must be the most useless measure of fitness out there. What's the fucking point of a one rep max other than ego masturbation?

I don't count that I can lift a certain weight until I can do 5 reps without failing, and I have only really "mastered" it when I can do 10 without fail.
>>
Congrats, you're dumb as shit
>>
>>42894702
Yes, they're talking about 1RM. No, it's not useless since it's the basis of percentage based training. And no one cares about your personal definition of what it means to lift a weight. If you can lift something, even if only once, you can lift it and that counts.
>>
>>42894731
not an argument

>>42894744
But I mean if you can't even do 2 of them it implies you're using bad form in the first place and you're hitting above your weight class. You could always just throw your whole body into something and claim victory whilst utterly failing to do it in controlled manner - whereas if you do various reps you more or less have to have enough strength to do it several times and can't solely depend on momentum to do it.
>>
On this topic, do people count the bar when they say they lift say 100kg? Everyone seems to have a different interpretation
>>
>>42894935
Yes, you count the bar.
>>
>>42894935
> do people count the bar

> count

> the bar

l o l
>>
>>42894818
1RM doesn't necessitate bad form. People that are stupid use bad form for 1RM attempts and count those. Don't pay attention to those people. The fact that you're only argument against 1RM is a strawman should show you how weak of a case you have.
>>
>>42894935
the only people who say not to count the bar are trolls on /fit/
>>
>>42894818
1RM is generally used to determine how much weight you should be lifting for reps (ie, 70% of your 1 rep max). That's why most people already know what theirs is.
>>
File: jewless_burnt_man.jpg (27KB, 380x374px) Image search: [Google]
jewless_burnt_man.jpg
27KB, 380x374px
>>42894935
>do people count the bar when they say they lift say 100kg
do you count your body when you lift 100kgs?
ofc not, because your not lying to yourself
>>
>>42895063
By "lifting for reps" how many do you mean?
>>
>>42894935
Yes, count the bar.
>>
>>42895220
Depends. Strength training is usually 80-90 percent of 1RM for 1-3 reps per set, whereas 65-80 percent of 1RM for 5-10 reps per set would be both strength and hypertrophy. <65% for 10+ reps per set would be hypertrophy/endurance.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.