[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the whole "bulk/cut" thing even relevant for beginners?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

File: 1502028037283.jpg (237KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
1502028037283.jpg
237KB, 1080x1349px
Is the whole "bulk/cut" thing even relevant for beginners?
>>
yep
>>
>>42757229
No, beginners can loose fat and gain muscle at the sale time
>>
>>42757229
Nutrition is relevant to beginners
>>
relevant enough for mark rippetoe to tell you to bulk at a 400-500 calorie surplus when doing starting strength
>>
https://youtu.be/GIX-RyorgkQ
>>
>>42757329
4000-5000*

But seriously yes, you need to be in a calorie surplus. Don't try to escape the fundamentals, like, "Well that shit probably doesn't apply to me."

It does, and you need to take care of it.
>>
>>42757375
only if you're a self-proclaimed """""hard-gainer""""" desu

he says 400 calorie surplus for most people who aren't fat fucks which is totally reasonable, as fun as it is to meme about Rippetoe turning people into lard golems only fit to barbell squat
>>
>>42757229
Depends on your goals.

If you want to get big no matter what and gain some extra strength then bulking is what you should do.

If you want to have less fat, weigh less for whatever reason and gain more endurance through dropping more energy sapping bodymass then cut.

Simple as that.
>>
>>42757229
>relevant?
Yeah
>necessary?
No, begginers can recomp if they want to, but most people coming here as beginners are either fatasses or skinny as fuck, recomps are only really useful for skinnyfat or builtfat people.
>>
File: 7 months.jpg (1MB, 2376x1701px) Image search: [Google]
7 months.jpg
1MB, 2376x1701px
>>42757229
It's not necessary to gain fat as an average skinnyfat beginner. It is possible to lose fat while gaining muscle, your body will extract the excess calories you need from your surplus of bodyfat.

Pic related is me 7 months apart, 140lbs consistently without gaining any weight.

>inb4 my awful nipples derail the thread
>>
>>42757406
>recomps are only really useful for skinnyfat
i wish i knew this when i started lifting.
i just yolo bulked and now im in the middle of a cut, fml
>>
>>42758266
Why are they so close together?
>>
>>42758310
pectus
>>
bulking is for lazy fat sacks of shit with no self control who will never make it and then claim they re doing it for muh functional strength, whatever that means since they re never going to compete in strongman or powerlifting competitions they will basically be fat as fuck to the general public.(few exceptions, mostly the bro who wasted time bulking and cutting when he couldve avoided the entire process by eating properly)

lean clean eating bro: able to accurately monitor muscle growth and not confuse it with fat,focused individuals with splits that just make sense, always perfect form and not suffering from biogorexia
>>
>>42758266
jesus, how did you do that? routine?
>>
>>42758792
Can't tell if you're serious or just busting my balls, but I will attempt to answer you as best as possible. I work out 5x per week, every week. I also aim for 100-120g protein per day and take a fuck load of supplements. I do a split of my own creation which is probably stupid but I like it.

>Day 1: Chest & Triceps
Start with flat bench in the 8-10 rep range, then tricep pushdowns, then use the pec dec machine and a few more random accessory exercises for those muscles depending on how I feel (skullcrushers, incline or decline bench with dumbbells or barbells, dips, cable flys, dumbbell tricep extension) 12 reps is always the target for the accessories, 3-4 sets. Obviously I don't do each accessory each week, I pick and choose based on what I want to do and what equipment is available and only usually spend 1 hr at the gym per day.

>Day 2: Back & Biceps
Start with deadlifts (usually 1 or 2 sets of 5 depending on how I'm feeling). Then chinups, barbell curls or preacher barbell curls, lat pulldowns, barbell rows and hammer curls. Recently started mixing it up a bit with some cable rows and front pulldown machine.

>Day 3: Shoulders (& legs when I feel like it, which is rarely)
Start with OHP 5x5, then upright barbell rows, lat raises, facepulls or reverse pec dec machine. If I feel like it afterwards is when I do squats or leg press.

You'd honestly be better off doing a proper program than some bullshit I made up though. The important thing is to stay motivated and go to the gym a lot and eat a lot of protein.
>>
>>42759151

Damn Daniel. What supplements?
>>
File: symmetry.jpg (8KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
symmetry.jpg
8KB, 300x168px
>>42758266
you've made some decent gains since I last saw your pic nipplebrah, mirin
>>
>>42759151
so basically, to lean bulk just increase protein and cut out sugar (processed added sugar bullshit, not carbs in general)?
>>
>>42758657
you realize you're supposed to bulk and cut between 10-12% bodyfat and 15-16% bodyfat as lower and upper limits, right? if you got fat on a bulk, that was user error on your part
>>
>>42759151
what do you actually eat?
>>
>>42759280
Creatine, Vitamin D3, Fish Oil, Whey, ZMA, occasionally caffeine pills and recently BCAA

>>42759336
Thanks, I think the banter about my nipples has actually inspired me in some weird way, like I think I can lift them further apart or something.

>>42759354
Protein is the only macro I track, other than that, I try to eliminate foods that are unhealthy and useless in favour of foods that contain protein, dietary fiber and micronutrients.

I never go hungry, I eat and eat and eat all day, but pretty much only healthy foods. Eggs & eggwhites, chicken & turkey, oatmeal, Greek yogurt, milk, nuts, multigrain bread, fruits & vegetables. Occasionally I will slip up and have some pizza or ice cream or a pint of beer, but for the most part my philosophy is to fill up on so much good food I'm not hungry enough to eat the junk food.
>>
>>42757229

It's the shittiest meme of all time

If you're not lean GET lean. Then lift and eat more (but not enough to lose leaness)

That's all
>>
>>42759455
>if you're not lean GET lean
you just described a cut
>then lift and eat more (but not enough to lose leanness)
you just described a bulk

how the fuck is it a shitty meme, again? unless you're taking bulking to mean intentionally fatfucking yourself with thousands of excess calories a day, which is not at all what bulking means
>>
>>42757229
If I could go back and tell myself one thing, it's don't fall for the bulking meme.
>>
>>42758266
Nice, your nipples look almost normal now
>>
>>42758266
Checked

Why do your nipples look so confused
>>
>>42759455
This is the truth, do not fall for the hard bulk meme.
>>
>>42759476
Because tons of people and especially beginners take bulking the wrong way and think it means just eat whatever you want. I'll admit its not completely a meme but its easy to see frauds eating +1000 over surplus and thinking you should be doing that too.
>>
>>42761248
Well but in that case it doesn't mean it's a meme, it just means people who don't know better take it the wrong way.
It's like calling SS or SL5x5 a meme because there are some who will lift 1 year or more with those routines.
>>
name of the girlll
>>
>>42758266
Mirin arm and nipple gains. Did you do a strength routine before your current split?
>>
>>42757229
Yes
>>
I'd grab me a handfull of those buns if you know what I mean
>>
>>42757229
Post more of this fitness slut
>>
>>42757229
i'll have the buns in the middle
>>
>>42757229
>Is the whole "bulk/cut" thing even relevant for beginners?

ask another question, can you gain weight without eating more calories than your body is using?
>>
>>42761248
that doesn't make bulking a meme, that makes beginners fucking stupid
>>
>>42758266
Reminds me of the starwars1 aliens who plot with the sith lord and block the trades/unleash el invation on the princess planet.
>>
>>42765750
It's like nobody understands what fat is.
You can gain muscle while burning fat, what do you think fat is a store of? When you eat too much food, the excess caloric energy is stored as fat (very simplified.) Fat is there for your body to use when your diet supplies a caloric deficit. "Gaining weight" and building muscle are absolutely two different things, and I think it's fair to assume that we are all more interested in building muscle than just unspecified weight gain.

Can you build muscle under a caloric deficit? Absolutely yes. This meme comes from skeletons who are already <12%.
>>
>>42763162
No strength routine, I've pretty much been doing a split all along.

>>42765968
Never seen starwars, you got a pic of these aliens?
>>
>>42765968
Top kek.
>>
>>42767306
They wouldn't be aliens if I had pics of them. Moron.
>>
I have been training for almost year now and I want to loose about 18 lbs. My TDEE is 2800 calories, should I start eating about 2300 calories a day? And how long will it take to achieve that.
>>
>>42767577
6'2 and 182 lbs
>>
File: 1502441435713.jpg (36KB, 427x427px) Image search: [Google]
1502441435713.jpg
36KB, 427x427px
>>42759426
>like I think I can lift them further apart or something

kek, srsly brah its not that bad. Belter progress, ´mirin.
>>
>>42758266
nice progress and it looks like your nipple-Pangaea is gradually drifting apart, must be all the flyes
>>
>>42757277
No they can't retard. That would literally be breaking the laws of physics. You can't build any mass on an energy deficit.
>>
File: 1488840181843.jpg (32KB, 404x403px) Image search: [Google]
1488840181843.jpg
32KB, 404x403px
>>42767972
if only the body had some method for storing energy when an excess of calories is present and then releasing this energy later to compensate for a deficit in calories
>>
>>42759151
so did you eat at a deficit or a surplus
>>
>>42768030
I never tracked calories, or even bothered to calculate my TDEE, so I can't really answer that. If I had to guess I'd say surplus.
>>
>>42767972
Kek I hope you are kidding. You CAN build muscle on a calorie deficit. Who told you that you can't? /fit/ memes?
>>
>>42767972
You're correct that you can't have a net gain in mass on a caloric deficit, but you can still lose fat and gain muscle as long as overall your weight is going down

t. physicist
>>
File: crosseyedcat.jpg (39KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
crosseyedcat.jpg
39KB, 480x360px
>>42758266
>>
I recently started working out and I nearly doubled my caloric intake but dropped fats and sugars and I've got some pretty significant results. That's mostly just the noob gains though.
>>
>>42758266
Get shredded enough and you can beat up anyone who insults your nips. I'm rooting for you.
>>
>>42758266
Does pectus excavatum affect your bench press or your daily life in anyway?
>>
>>42768002
It doesnt store the essential amino acids to build musculus dough
>>
>>42769910
i actually dont really know what im talking about so dont take this seriously but i think i heard scoob say it once
>>
>>42758266
mirin, that is pretty much my goal body
>>
>>42769910
Kek what is muscle
>>
>>42769728
That's the goal, thanks anon

>>42769879
Daily life, no. Didn't even realize I had it before coming here. Bench maybe, I only do 135 x 9 after 7 months which isn't as good as it could be probably.

>>42769955
Seriously? Thanks if you're not memeing on me.
>>
>>42757229
Yes
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.