[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/cyc/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

Cycling thread

How often do you guys ride?
I want to get in my bicycle and ride around the city but I get embarrassed. How do I overcome this?
Do you guys use Strava?
MTB or road?
Which bike do you have?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170901-190042.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170901-190042.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>42748265
Fuck MTN or road. Bout to pick up one of these. Enjoy the ride man. Keep your head up and enjoy the views.
>>
File: bakuon 8.png (115KB, 961x620px) Image search: [Google]
bakuon 8.png
115KB, 961x620px
>>42748265
>I want to get in my bicycle and ride around the city but I get embarrassed. How do I overcome this?
Find your local bike trails.
Ride them first.

>which bike do you have
A mountain bike with an internal 3-speed hub I fit in from the cruiser I broke.
I usually leave it in top gear.
Waiting on my chain tensioner that I should have got last week.

>>42749404
Looks too slow.
Why come no go fast?
>>
File: strava.png (298KB, 1045x815px) Image search: [Google]
strava.png
298KB, 1045x815px
Climbed all the good climbs in my neighbourhood this weekend. Felt good man!
>>
>>42748265
I'd ride more but I'm afraid of getting plowed over by cars.
>>
>>42749665
Ride on the back roads, they're nicer for biking anyway.

Also if you use strava's route builder, you can turn on the global heatmap and see where other people are cycling. Good way to find nice trails/roads and they're usually car friendly if others use them.

Best advice for riding on the road is to be visible and be predictable.
>>
>>42749579
Funny my last bike was internal 3 speed cruiser. Specialized Globe Daily. Kept popping the spokes cause I rode her pretty hard and the city streets are unforgiving in upstate NY.

The bike in the picture can move. Single gear, a little bigger tires and higher spoke count well hopefully do the trick. Will swap the handle bars with something more like a hybrid cruiser mtn bike.

I enjoy riding more upright at a sacrifice for some speed.
>>
>>42749726
Ayy.
I'm probably gonna give my current bike to my brother when I buy a Surly later this year.
>I enjoy riding more upright at a sacrifice for some speed.
I was like this for a long time til I rode a friend's road bike and got instantly hooked to the speed.
Plus I like the idea of touring, so I'm thinking of a LHT.
I know it's not the fastest but I just broke the frame tube that holds up the seat on my cruiser so I kind of want something strong.
>>
>>42749796
Nice. Pretty sure my LBS told me surly is civia's parent company. The bike felt so solid. Feels like they make a good product. My price range was sub 500.
>>
Can someone here give it to me straight, why are most road bikes so fucking expensive?

Like you can get some for a few hundred but then most considered 'good' are thousands. Google is memeing me with muh weight and muh carbon but that's not even close enough of a good reason to explain the price difference for a casual user surely?
>>
>>42750045
The target demographic are people around their thirties and forties who have that kind of disposable income. Bike companies charge what people will pay.
>>
File: bike.png (225KB, 622x396px) Image search: [Google]
bike.png
225KB, 622x396px
>>42750045
If you buy a cheap road bike from a non-reputable bike brand, you are going to have lots of issues to deal with. Cheap bikes use cheaper materials for the parts the bike is built with. The parts will wear and break faster. You'll have to replace things often. Things like tires are the first thing a cheap bike is going to skimp on. A poorly built bike is also not going to feel light, faster and nimble like a nice road bike.

You don't have to spend thousands, check out Trek, Specialized, Giant, Fuji etc. These are respected known bike brands and you can get something for around $400 dollars. If you are willing to go used you can get something for $100. Most people will recommend getting a used bike for your first road bike.

If you can't stand used, check out bikesdirect.com (only problem here is that the bike is going to come in a box and you might not know how to put it together or have the tools).
>>
>>42750045
You're constantly choosing between component durability, weight, and affordability.
It's like buying a sports car, performance is a premium.
>>
>>42750107
>>42750117
Ah okay that makes more sense, will look into the used market have no problem with that. Thanks.
>>
>>42750166
Quick rule of thumb for muh carbon:

If you are fast enough for carbon vs aluminum to make a difference, someone will be willing to buy it for you.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.