[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sleep general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: sleep[1].jpg (19KB, 973x669px) Image search: [Google]
sleep[1].jpg
19KB, 973x669px
What do you do to improve your sleep?

I've been trying to go to bed the same time every night since my term at uni started and when I stayed up late yesterday I woke up at the same time that I usually do during the week. I'll have to try to go to bed earlier. All summer I've been shutting the computer down at least half an hour before going to bed, and spending that time reading a book to unwind, relax and focus on something else than my current problems. I also try to dim the lights during that period.

Looking to invest in blackout curtains and a better pillow too.

What do you do to improve your sleep /fit/?
>>
Noice
I also starting waking up earlier by itself after I started going to sleep early
The secrets to life are hidden behind the word cliche
>>
>>42729249
word
>>
I found it's actually far easier than I expected upon getting a job and all those years at university I just didn't try hard enough and THOUGHT I had sleep issues.

I go to bed the same time every day, 10:30, give or take an extra 15.

At 9:30 I've done all the shit I need to do, including brushed my teeth, shaved and washed my face, clothes laid out and bag packed with lunch; I also take two minutes to write a to-do list for what needs to be done tomorrow, once it's down in writing it's much easier to have out of your head and not worrying. Then for the next hour I just do something chill not IN bed but at my desk e.g. watch an episode of Mad Men or read a book, WITH THE LIGHTS OFF and f.lux running on my computer (artificial lighting is a killer).

Sounds a lot of work but honestly it's like ten minutes out of my life every day in preparation and now I consistently wake up at 6:30 before my alarm even goes off (studies show being woken by alarm consistently is severely detrimental, it inherently shows that your sleep cycle has yet to complete and you're not fully rested).

I spent years getting 6 hours and feeling like shit for 18, now I sleep and 8 and feel so much better for the remaining 16, the trade-off isn't even comparable.

Obviously there are outliers for people who have legitimate sleep issues, but for the average NEET 4channer who just needs to not stay in bed till 4am with their laptop, shit like this is the fundamental remedy.
>>
About to start working nights is there any hope for my sleep gains?
>>
>>42729695
switch jobs soon
>>
>sleep hygiene
>meditation
>exercise
>sleeping in a cold room

i had terrible insomnia and these things made mine go away
>>
>>42729150
Use F.lux, avoid bright screens after 9 pm, no caffeine after 6 pm. Try and get up at the same time as much as you can, make room as dark and quiet as possible when you go to sleep
>>
>>42729150
Turn off the router
Sleep in a completely dark room
Sleep buck nekkid
Cold shower before bed
No stimulants like caffeine or sugar 5 hours before bedtime.
No stimulating media or heavy meat based foods 1-2 hours before bedtime
>>
>>42729150
started taking magnesium about an hour before bed time and I sleep straight through
>>
For how long can I use melatonine safely? It helps me a lot. If I don't take it, there's close to 30% chance that I will not fall asleep until 4 am or something like that. If I do take it, the chance of me not sleeping well decreases to like 5%. Tl;dr it helps me a lot but I don't want to fuck myself up by using it for too long.
>>
>>42729810
probably a few weeks

you can make your body more likely to produce melatonin by doing these things

>hot shower before you go to bed, then go into your cold room and let your body temperature drop
>no bright lights at all before bed, even bathroom/bedroom lights. use candles
>get out of bed as soon as you wake up and sit outside in the sun or go for a run in the sun
>use a serotonin increasing supplement like 5HTP or L-tryptophan. serotonin is a precursor to melatonin
>>
>>42730097
I'd forgotten about the hot shower thing, thanks for reminding me. I'll try it for sure.

Side effect last time I did it though - dry skin from two warm showers per day
>>
sleeping mask

earplugs, but beware if you have wax issues these will make them worse, so sort it first. an alarm will still wake you through earplugs

as i've grown i've also started using just one very thin pillow
>>
>>42729810
>>42730097
>>42730401

https://acrobolix.com/product/twilite/

GOAT sleep supplement. has melatonin, 5-HTP and other aminos and shit. i sleep like a rock and i wake up feeling like a god. the shit is just expensive as fuck but it works so i guess it's worth it
>>
>>42729150
Can anyone recommend how I can find out exactly how much sleep I need?
I know everyone is different in how much sleep they actually need but,
I sleep for 8 hours~ and if I sleep longer I actually end up feeling worse for some reason
I was wondering if I should try 7.5 hours instead and see but don't want to get sleep deprived
also, does the time you go to sleep affect it? (usually around 11)
>>
What's the appropriate protocol when it comes to sleep?
>>
>>42731821
The best thing would be to go to bed the same time every night on a week in which you don't have to set your alarm and see how many hours you sleep until you wake up naturally after a couple of days. This means that your body has caught up with itself sleep-wise and you are now on your natural sleep thingy

I've been doing some reading on hormones that regulate sleep/wakefulness and though I can't remember the name of it now, one of those hormones that are important to your feeling of energy is produced/secreted (whatever, I read it in my bio-psychology course litterature, it's real) during the hours 22-02. So you should be good. I, on the other hand, go to bed around 02 each night so I should probably stop doing that to make my sleep more efficent
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.