[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My gym only has a 2.5 pound plate, nothing lower. Do I really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

My gym only has a 2.5 pound plate, nothing lower. Do I really have to buy these microplates for $50 to do Starting Strength?

I can't increment by bench press by 5lbs every session, it's just not going to happen.

What do you guys on the program usually do?
>>
>>42725138
don't buy that shit. put on 5lbs after you can do more than 8 reps
>>
>>42725138
When I started to slow down I'd make sure I could do my previous best for two workouts in a row, then switch one then two then three of the next workout's sets to the new weight. Worked for my bench and dead for a good while.
If you have to do it exactly by the rules, estimate how much a clip weighs and just put several on the bar. Looks stupid but weight is weight.
>>
>>42725138
No. Get some 1.25s. Nothing more. Even that is probably unnecessary.
>>
>>42725138
buy some ankle weights
>>
Stop being autistic. A lot of lifters who don't suck (protip: you suck) have never touched then. Logic follows that you should stop spending time PROCRASTINATING and spend more time LIFTING
>>
>>42725138
Do you faggots buying these things even try shopping before posting
>>
>>42725170

that's a good idea, I also considered putting 2.5 on only one side and then alternating it between sets

>>42725166

so train to 5x3 and then go for 8x3 on that same weight before moving up 5lbs and going back to 5x3?

>>42725192

also a good idea, I don't know why I didn't think of it before but weight is weight
>>
>>42725166
Fucking retard.

Just how poor are all you losers? I paid less than 20 bucks for microplates and they work great. If you can't afford to spend such a small amount of money on something that will literally give you years of use, then you might have made poor choices in life.

>inb4 "college student" or "neet"
Get a job and provide for yourself you worthless pieces of shit.
>>
>>42725235

yeah this tbqfwyb

I found them on walmart for $1.75 each, I'm just going to get those
>>
>>42725259

fuck nvm they're 1" diameter
>>
>>42725235

how do you use the micro plates, isn't all you need 1.25 lb?
>>
>>42725259
>>42725272

Be advised anons, the bore in the plate must be 2" in order to fit on the sleeve of the barbell.
>>
>>42725312
Depends on the barbell.
>>
>>42725138
i bought microplates

i cant recommend them enough
>>
I am hitting 2pl8 for reps on squat and I'm not sure how much longer I can put 5lbs on per session (Im doing 4/week and 3x8). Do I need to eat moar faggot or is my programming shitty, or should I just buy micros?
>>
how bad is it to use a barbell pad for squats?

I have really bad head tilt and resting the barbell on my neck hurts like hell
>>
>>42725788
Any real barbell will require 2in bore.
>>
>>42725788
>he uses microplates on the EZ-curl bar
>>
>>42725824
When you can't hit 5 reps, deload by around 15% and work back up. You don't need microplates to progress at that weight.
>>
nigga just use duct tape. a roll of that stuff can easily be a pound. buy two, slap them on the ends
or a bit of chain
or literally anything that's small and heavy enough to convienetly put on the bar

>2017
>paying 50 fucking dollars for 5 pounds in metal
shit better be pure copper for that price
>>
>>42725192
This is what saved me. It's actually very clever and suprisingly the ankle weights were more accurate and cheap than some cheap 'real' micro weights.
>>
>>42725138
Here you go OP

https://estore.biggerfasterstronger.com/collections/plates-bumpers-dumbbells/products/1-25-lb-plate
>>
>>42726052

>We don't offer shipping to Canada.

i'm based in canada anon, but those plates looked perfect

this is so frustrating I can't find any at all
>>
>>42726091
well shit I was just gonna link you the ones I got on amazon.ca but they aren't available anymore
>>
Use washers, op.
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/33038

If you aren't using collars, those are a half pound each (and your lifts aren't quite as good as you think)
>>
http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/training/68337-microplates-sale.html - guy sells legit micro-plate sets for USD 36 - talk to him about shipping to canada
>>
go to tye McMaster-Carr website

there should be various washer sizes for dirt cheap

i got some with a ~2 in opening for my oly bar and they work like a charm
>>
File: 2017-05-20_15.06.33.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-20_15.06.33.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
5/16 chain weighs one ounce per link. Make your own and ziptie the ends.
>>
>>42726122

Yeah I found 2 on amazon.ca that would have been perfect (one was actually the one anon posted a second ago) but both are unavailable

>>42726126
I found a thread that mentioned that but I'd have to get something like 6 of them

>>42726131

i'll take a look, thanks

>>42726161

same thing, the only one's with 2" diameter are fastenal and those are light so you'd have to stack up on a few

I found this paid for $30 shipped, still more than I wanted to pay for 2lbs of low quality steel but I might just go with them

https://www.roguecanada.ca/rogue-olympic-plates
>>
tommorow is cheat day and i will eat bbq burger for lunch and pizza for dinner + only protein shakes for rest yesssss, however I have to order burger and pizza at once so I hit minimal order price so pizza will be reheated but whatever it's still great especially that burger
>>
>>42726198
Your local hardware store might be able to get them for you.
>>
>>42725138
rogue sells 1.25 b plates in pairs for 8.50

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-olympic-plates
>>
>>42725138
OP, try this: increase your lifts by no more than about 5% per WEEK of lifting, rounding up or down as appropriate. I think you'll find that you don't need even as little as 2.5 pound increments. The only reason you need those little plates is for 1RM which you really don't need to do anyway.
>>
>>42725788

>using anything other than an olympic bar for bench

Please tell me you're just pretending to be retarded
>>
>>42726234
>>42726225
>>42726250
>>42726254

I just ended up ordering a pair from rogue for 30 shipped

thanks for the help guys, hope your weekend is going well and your lifts are progressing no homo
>>
>>42725235

HURRRRR

DURRRRRR

HURRR DURRR HUURRRR HURRRR
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.