[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you ever worry that you're making your body overly strong

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: download.png (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
4KB, 225x225px
Do you ever worry that you're making your body overly strong from certain angles, not strong enough from others and that the adaptations that occur from specifying in strength training are making you worse?

If I only work back squat, deadlift, ohp, bench, row or power clean, chin ups then my body isn't being evenly strengthened through all planes of motion. And it's being disproportionately strengthened much more than others. Like if I deadlift 405, my body is becoming very strong in that one movement pattern but what if I try and lift an object that can't be picked up perfectly through my midfoot? Or if I squat 315, that's an up and down movement pattern but what about forwards and backwards as well as side to side and every degree of angle in between?

The muscle fibers grow based on the direction they're utilized. I'm deathly afraid of making my muscle fibers overly strong from specific angles and it creating an imbalance when moving outside of the specifically trained plane of motion.

Shouldn't we be using implements that aren't constrained by gravity to better emulate how our bodies grow naturally through all planes of motion? Shouldn't bands, vests, cables and machines be vastly superior in this regard? Sure free weights work better in their specific plane of motion but I argue such training is inherently flawed and dangerous.
>>
It's almost as if.... as if someone should develop some new fitness product... something that focuses on real-world-use fitness. Something functional. Like a cross between lifting and building muscles you'll really use. I bet if someone did this, they would make a shitload of money getting a bunch of normies into it. Alas, it shall never be so, because OP is a faggot.
>>
>>42712078
Its not like just practicing a certain movement only makes you strong in that movement. If you deadlift a bunch of weight it's not like you're suddenly going to lose all that strength when it comes time to pick up an irregular object
>>
>>42712108
The consensus everywhere from r/fitness to fit to bb forums to t-nation forums and everywhere you go online seems to be these basic compound lift minimal routines are like a "skeleton key" for improvement. But I argue that getting strong and building muscle this way is unhealthy and has no place in fitness. It belongs only in competitive lifting discussion where the goal is to win not fitness. So why are we all drooling over routines that seem designed for an aspiring powerlifter or bodybuilder rather than a person looking to make sure their whole body is optimally strong? It seems you need to move your body in all directions to achieve it, this can't be done properly with free weights. Free weights aren't fitness they're unhealthy and only good for competitive sport.
>>
>>42712156
No but the way your muscle fibers grow and your strength are very joint angle and movement specific. There's some carry over but if it was sufficient then there'd be no point in any lift besides deadlift and we know that's not true.
>>
>>42712190
>>42712208
I can't tell if this is retardation or just really good bait. Free weights are one of the best ways to build strength fast and that strength is transferable to whatever you want to do. No, they do not exactly mimic all motions people have to do but they provide a relatively safe and structured method of progressively increasing strength.

What would your alternative be?
>>
>>42712323
The alternative is to drop the ego and realize you're building too much strength from a specific angle or movement pattern. The human body wasn't designed to be so disproportionately strong from one position. Getting super strong from a limited set of movement patterns is unhealthy and not fitness related.
>>
>>42712372
You are under the false assumption that strength gained by doing free weights is only good for one movement. Squatting with a barbell isn't just going to make you good at squatting with a barbell and nothing else. Compound lifts with free weights are the most efficient use of your time when it comes to gaining "practical" strength.
>>
>>42712699
I'm under no such assumption there's some carry over however you're completely delusional if you think hammering your body from a limited range of motion is healthy or fit. Increasing performance at the cost of what's best for your body is sports not fitness.
>>
>>42712797
There is nothing wrong with moderate lifting when done with proper form. You're not "hammering your body" by lifting weights a few times a week. Not everyone is lifting like a power lifter, and even then there are plenty of people who powerlift who maintain their health. You still have yet to give any sort of alternative that is as effective and efficient.
>>
>>42712078
1. you can't exercise a muscle fiber in different directions, each one literally contracts in only one direction, so what you really want is exercises that work the muscles squats/etc don't
2. when you're squatting there's a lot of small stabilizers that you also exercise to stop yourself falling over. So you're training a lot more than just the up-down motion. Some exercises like weighted carries are really good for this
3. why the hell do you think cables/machines are better than free weights? they also only make you move in one direction
4. >training for strength
>>
>>42712372
No, it literally was. We stand up straight. Our quadriceps and hams flex our knees in specific ways.

Your knee isn't supposed to hit a 270 degree angle. We are not blobs of fucking jelly with no clear pattern of force gradients.
>>
>>42712923
>powerlift who maintain their health.
That's actually fucking bullshit.
Powerlifting is not a safe or healthy sport.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.