[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Leangains/Martin Berkhan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0829.jpg (75KB, 640x725px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0829.jpg
75KB, 640x725px
What does /fit think of this dude? Are his methods good for a cut? Suitable for a lean bulk cycle? Any experience welcome
>>
No traps or neck. Makes it look like he has a freakishly small head.
>>
>>42667306
You're mostly right, though his pose is making his traps look smaller than they are.
Any experience with his book or his methods?
>>
am I in prison? is he gonna rape me?
>>
>>42667294
his methods are nonsensical and will lead to you spinning your wheels like the rest of the DYELs on /r/leangains, recomping is incredibly ineffective unless you happen to be a beginner, detrained, starting to eat properly for the first time, starting steroids, or upping your dosage of steroids - beyond these categories it is so slight an effect that it actually takes DEXA scans to verify that it's even occuring

guide to dieting to be big
1. be 10-12% bodyfat (with an error of a percent or two in each direction)
2. bulk at a moderate surplus (500 or so for most people is a good rough guideline, shoot for about 15% above TDEE) until you are 15-17% bf (again, with some error)
3. once you are at this upper range or you have been massing for long enough that you are getting diminishing returns, take a month or so at maintenance calories
4. cut to 10-12% as such: divide your bodyfat percentage (approximate) by 20 - this is a conservative estimate for the percentage of your bodyweight you can lose per week (more precisely, this is a conservative estimate of how much energy can come from lipolysis), and then set your calorie deficit accordingly

you may notice that your calorie deficit is going to be pretty high compared to the stock advice of 500 calorie deficit, this is because muscle loss on a cut is pretty much a meme and doesn't happen unless your deficit is really extreme, you don't take in enough protein, and you don't train with weights (in a study with 40% below TDEE calorie intake, individuals that did no weight training but ate enough protein lost almost no LBM)

you may also notice that because you drop weight much faster in your cutting phases than you gain it during your massing phases, which is a good thing - you will spend much more of the year hypercaloric and making gains than you do at maintenance or in a deficit

if you want sources for all this stuff i can pull them up
>>
>>42667675
>recomping
Has plenty of research, whereas cutting vs. bulking research is minimal.
>>
>>42667675
Brah thanks for the in-depth reply, but I'm curious as to why you don't think much of 1. Recomping in general and 2. Berkhans/Leangains way of doing it
>>
>>42667742
ok then keep trying to recomp lol
>>
>>42667797
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pkbrTpKaj4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoKlyYzK5n0

the best thing you can do for gaining muscle is to be in a hypercaloric state, best thing you can do for fat loss is to be in a hypocaloric state

by recomping you either A. eat at maintenance and achieve neither of these or B. alternate hypercaloric and hypocaloric states rapidly (leangains) without actually giving the physiological mechanisms behind muscle gain enough time in a hypercaloric environment to get into full swing

recomping does occur and it does work, but it works for novices or early intermediates - I invite you to try either A or B once you have been lifting properly for two years or so, I predict you'll have a really hard time gaining strength or size
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.