[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need your help /fit/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

I’m currently on a PPL routine with 2 bench days per week, with one “heavy” day and one “volume” day (3x6 on Monday, 3x10 on Friday) and my bench has been stalling at 77.5 Kg / 170 lbs for 3 months.

I don’t know what to do anymore because I’m sure I have to be doing something wrong but I don’t know what it is.

All my other lifts are going up just fine and I’m making progress with all other compound lifts. The strange thing is that I have no problems progressing with DB Incline Bench, Dips and Flies so I’m sure my technique is at fault.

I’m pretty much using the form guide from Stronglifts, i.e. vertical arms, straight wrists, retracting my scapula, gripping the bar tight, bracing my core and glutes and pushing through my legs.

As far as I can tell my weak spot is pushing the weight back up from my chest because my forearms tire out before my chest does. I have a small frame with long arms (6’4” arm span with long forearms, 17 cm/6.7” wrists) so could that be the reason?

Have any of you experienced something similar and maybe have an idea how to push past this plateau?
>>
>>42661364
Your leverages are going to make bench hard for you. I would say initially you should try moving your hands wider. After that, just work your pecs in isolation, with things like flyes and deficit pushups
>>
>>42661448
How wide should my grip be? I usually grip so my middle fingers touch the ring markings on the bar.

I was also thinking about ditching the heavy bench days and focus on volume only, do you think that could help?
>>
>>42661364
>one “heavy” day and one “volume” day (3x6 on Monday, 3x10 on Friday) and my bench has been stalling at 77.5 Kg / 170 lbs for 3 months.
>170 lbs for 3 months

You're not strong enough to have a "heavy" and a "light" day. Keep doing 3 or 5 sets of five and work on linear progression and eating right. If you're dead set on having a heavy and a light day, change your rep scheme on the light day to progress through the range of reps like this:

Light Day 1: 135 x 8
Light Day 2: 135 x 9
Light Day 3: 135 x 10
Light Day 4: 135 x 11
Light Day 5: 135 x 12
Light Day 6: 145 x 8
>>
>>42662345
Alright, so would it make sense to just do 3x5 on all push days for a while since I would get volume work from the assistance exercises?
>>
>>42661364

>I’m currently on a PPL routine with 2 bench days per week, with one “heavy” day and one “volume” day (3x6 on Monday, 3x10 on Friday) and my bench has been stalling at 77.5 Kg / 170 lbs for 3 months.

What's your goal?

If strength, don't bother with a "volume day". Focus on strength.

If hypertrophy, don't bother with a "strength" day. Focus on reps.

Pick one and stick with it. Get better at what you want to do.
>>
>>42662674
I'm mainly focused on hyprertrophy, I have no ambitions to be a powerlifter or anything, I just want to look good.
>>
>>42662217
Have a narrower grip so your little fingers are just next to the grooves. Helped me build my chest a lot
>>
>>42662217
Oh wow, that's wide. Your forearms are perfectly vertical at the bottom of the ROM gripping that wide?

The narrower your grip, the more you place the emphasis on your triceps. The wider your grip, the more you take your triceps out of it, placing the emphasis on your chest. Maybe you're having problems because you're not involving your triceps enough due to the wide grip? Consider that during a dumbbell bench press, gravity and the free movement of the dumbbells will force you to keep your elbows closer to your torso for the sake of leverage to keep the dumbbells over your elbows, which means your triceps will get worked. A middle width grip on the barbell is ideal for recruiting as many muscles as possible, which should increase your strength.

Are you keeping your elbows at 60° of abduction from your torso? That's the ideal elbow angle for safe, comfortable benching and helps remove your shoulders from the equation. I ask because I feel like the only way to maintain vertical forearms with a super wide grip is to bench with the bar high up on the chest, with elbows at close to 90°, which will fuck your shit up. Try benching with the bar lower down your chest toward your sternum.
>>
>>42662974
Thanks for the tips man, appreciate it.

Now that you mention it, I'm probably placing too much emphasis on my front delts. I'll try benching with a narrower grip and keep my elbows at the correct angle.

What would you say counts as a middle width grip considering my long arms? Pinky inside the ring markings?
>>
>>42662871

Then focus entirely on reps in the 8-12 range.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.