[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mat/- Martial Arts Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: judomuaythai.png (426KB, 765x365px) Image search: [Google]
judomuaythai.png
426KB, 765x365px
I have done TKD years ago and did boxing for a little bit. It's been many years but I want to get back into martial arts. Was thinking either Judo or Muay Thai.

I heard Judo focuses more on sport and doesn't focus on ground as much. I just want to learn basic ground stuff. MT looks fun to get into striking again.
>>
>>42621186
Honestly, just do whatever you find the most interesting for you. Ultimately thats what matters.
>>
BJJ if you like it
>>
>>42621186
Go to whichever gym you enjoy the most and will attend most consistently.

Judo groundwork goes well beyond the basics. It's just less than BJJ because BJJ is practically all groundwork. The main difference is that judo ground fighting has more time pressure before stalling gets called and you have to stand back up, which isn't a bad thing necessarily since you can definitely win a judo match on the ground, you just have to do it quickly and violently.

Both judo and muay thai are sports, since they derive their priorities from rules enforced by a referee. Neither has the edge there. It should come down to which you enjoy more. Personally I think that judo is more sustainable as you age and has better synergy with lifting. Judo is also the core discipline of pretty much every military and police combatives system for a reason: it's a time-tested way to seize the initiative in a hand-to-hand fight.
>>
>>42621186
Most clubs i know train both.
Classes usually go like this.
>Practice break falls
>Grip drils
>Uchicomi (throw practice)
>We practice either a strangle or turn over.
>Stand up spar usually 3-4 rounds
>1-2 rounds of ground spar, depending on time
>>
>>42621186
whoever tells you judo doesn't focus on groundwork are either retarded or training in a shitty mcdojo.
as both black belts in bjj and judo (orange in kosen), you are taught the same amount of groundwork AT THE LOWER/MED LEVELS, the reason for this is that judokas learn the basics THAT WORKS.
you're not gonna see judokas doing 'new age' hippie shit like worm guards, 50/50 berimbolo, new yorks etc however a GOOD judokas will usually have impenetrable guards and lapel chokes from everywhere
>>
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll start looking more into Judo. I don't care to learn some crazy complex ground stuff just work basics since I have zero experience with that stuff.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.