[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw fell for the low sodium food meme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0015.jpg (135KB, 767x559px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0015.jpg
135KB, 767x559px
>tfw fell for the low sodium food meme
>>
>>42612225
>stroke, heart attack, and stomach cancer are memes
>>
>>42612251
You need salt in order to have a normal blood preassure which is not having LOW blood pressure, most people doesn't eat enough sodium to have their blood flowing without any problem
>>
>>42612276
>most people doesn't eat enough sodium to have their blood flowing without any problem
Citatiom needed. I can only think of some women doing meme diets that would get to that point. Unless you eat very little carbs, you must have around 1.5 g of sodium daily which is quite manageable.
>>
>>42612276
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs393/en/
>Most people consume too much salt—on average 9–12 grams per day, or around twice the recommended maximum level of intake.
>“Reducing salt could be bad for my health:” It’s very difficult to eat too little salt since there are so many everyday foods containing salt.
>>
>>42612417
A lot of active people don't get enough salt these days. Runners especially. You'd be surprised how well a salt tablet will do for headaches and fatigue.
>>
>>42612513
>no citation
>>
>>42612584
Idk about science and shit but I always feel better from a workout headache if I eat salty food then drink a ton of water.
>>
>>42612584
Cite this:

If you eat clean and home cook, the food you eat has no added salt, other than what you add yourself. The whole schtick about "eating too much salt" is purely because too many retards rely on ready made meals or sauces.

I know retarded runners who don't replace salt when doing long distances and they don't fucking listen to me.
>>
>>42612584
First hand account my man. I'm an EMT and I work running events.
>>
>>42612609
why would you need to 'replace salt'

http://jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/Entries/2013/10/3_The_Truth_About_Sodium_Intake_Levels_files/Jay%20CPE.pdf#page=50
>>
>>42612634
When you exercise a lot you sweat out most of your salt. That's why salt tastes salty.

At some point you should replace it. Unless you are salt depleting for bodybuilding purposes.
>>
>>42612656
That's why sweat tastes salty*
>>
>>42612634
How can you be so clueless?

Do you actually exercise yourself, or do you just come here to shitpost?

https://amp.ft.com/content/de8a802c-ecfc-11e5-bb79-2303682345c8
>>
>>42612656
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs393/en/
>“On a hot and humid day when you sweat, you need more salt in the diet:” There is little salt lost through sweat so there is no need for extra salt even on a hot and humid day, although it is important to drink a lot of water.

http://jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/Entries/2013/10/3_The_Truth_About_Sodium_Intake_Levels_files/Jay%20CPE.pdf#page=50
>Although it is not well recognized, the human sweat glands are quite capable of conserving sodium and chloride when the diet is low in salt. A study at the University of Michigan many years ago found that young men could lose an average of 7 liters of sweat daily by doing several hours of intense exercise in a hot, humid environment. However, they were able to maintain normal sodium levels consuming just 0.75 gm of salt (300 mg of sodium) per day.144
>The human body adapts to a low-salt intake by reducing salt in sweat and in the urine. In Dr. Conn’s study the men acclimatized to a very low-salt diet had sweat that contained only 40 mg of Na/L and their kidneys excreted just 20 mg Na/day.
>The Yanomamo Indians of the tropical rain forest of South America do not develop hyponatremia despite a sodium intake of less than 200 mg/day, an active lifestyle, and an average daily temperature of 100+ degrees Fahrenheit.145
>The single biggest predictor of developing hyponatremia was weight gain. Weight gain while running a marathon is certainly the result of excessive fluid consumption. Indeed, some of the athletes who developed hyponatremia were drinking sports drinks containing salt. Hyponatremia is more the result of water intoxication than it is a lack of salt in the diet.
>>
>>42612674
That's behind a paywall. Quote the relevant bits.

In the meantime, check out this

https://medicalresearch.com/exercise-fitness/salt-capsules-may-not-improve-exercise-performance-for-endurance-athletes/13524/
>here is no apparent exercise performance benefit for athletes to use salt supplements. Modest salt in the diet, within the recommended upper limit of 2300 mg/day (which would be a reduction for most people), is sufficient for most athletes and avoids the numerous adverse effects of high salt intake on health outcomes, including hypertension, coronary artery disease, stroke, heart failure, stomach cancer, osteoporosis, and even exercise induced asthma/brochospasms.

>One risk that arises from very low sodium consumption during long-duration exercise (typically >4 or 5 hr), is hyponatremia, which is a life-threatening condition. However, ironically, this typically arises in people with low fitness and low sweat rates, and is most commonly caused by extreme over-consumption of water during a marathon or other long-duration event, to a sufficient extent to cause weight gain. The solution for avoiding this is to curb the water intake to allow modest water and weight loss during the event (not to exceed weight loss of >2% of body weight, otherwise heat illness becomes a risk).
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.