[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you really need to count weight or reps??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

Do you really need to count weight or reps?? What if you just work a specific muscle until you can't do it anymore and then do 3-5 sets of it.
>>
>>42607375
you failed math at school didnt you
>>
Idk, you tell me, go do it, report back, change the world, fuck SS
>>
>>42607382
If you keep good form I feel like it could be possible. But it's hard to say. I feel like if you force your self to do a specific number of reps and weight you may not be getting your maximum amount of gains.
>>
>>42607375
there is some weird workouts that propose time over reps, mostly you have to find the correct tension and then keep the movements or holds for a period of time.

They use the concept of timed tension is what develop strength and hypertrophy not reps.
>>
Maybe try to do a minimum, then keep going until you can't?
>>
>>42607472
>mostly you have to find the correct
I remember watching a vid by Radu where he said that weight doesn't matter as long as you hit the same level of fatigue.
>>
File: Snapchat-692305024.jpg (229KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-692305024.jpg
229KB, 1080x1920px
>>42607375
I don't count weight or keep track of sets just make it up as I go, so if if you wanna look like this
>>
>>42607549
Do you do it until you can't do the the movement half way?
>>
>>42607576
I set a weight that I know I can hit for at least 10, never to complete exhaustion until my last few sets of the day
>>
>>42607538
AFAIK they say that tension is the key to develop strength and mass. It's tension that force the nervous system to adapt, also tendons, also muscles, also bones. The easiest way to find tension is with weight, and the best way to make accountable and progressive is with reps.

It makes sense that timed tension workout will work, they are just going to the source, the point is that is harder to keep track than reps with weight. Tension could be variable is you are sick, feel strong or have a lesion, if you don't take in consideration the weight you use, tracking tension is very hard.
>>
>>42607380
You failed english didn't you?
>>
File: atlas.png (285KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
atlas.png
285KB, 1000x800px
>>42607375
>tfw to intelligent to count
>>
>>42607622
>I don't count weight
>I set a weight that I know I can hit for at least 10
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>42609439
As in I don't keep track of how much I'm lifting on isolation exercises and machines, I set any weight that I can hit for ~10-15 reps with reasonable struggle
>>
I actually have a friend who trains like this. He does every set until failure. Seems to work well for him.
>>
>>42607375
Basically you're asking if you can just do X sets to failure. The answer is yes (as long as you're not doing 1-2 reps), but most programs don't recommend it. Training to failure generally lowers your total volume by exhausting you quicker, and it's also dangerous with certain exercises where you could get injured if you fail to complete the lift.

Really, there isn't any consensus on whether or not training to failure is better, worse, or has no effect at all on strength/hypertrophy/endurance. If you're are still able to complete a decent volume per set, and you don't want to count for some reason, knock yourself out.
>>
>>42607375
Just lift till it burns and you cant lift anymore.
>>
>>42609819
>As in I don't keep track of how much I'm lifting on isolation exercises and machines, I set any weight that I can hit for ~10-15 reps with reasonable struggle
>>>
> Anonymous 08/23/17(Wed)20:44:02 No.42609576▶
>I actually have a friend who trains like this. He does every set until failure. Seems to work well for him.
Why do people go to a gym then? If you can just target a certain muscle with good form why not just do a bunch of sets to failure?
>>
>>42607375
Reps are a meme. Look up time under tension
>>
How do you guys even concentrate when lifting?
it's trully hard for me to count when I'm doing excersise
>>
>>42607375
You lose on the progressive overload.
Time under tension works, but the overload does too, and you could use both at the same time.
>>
i do this, but I still go by sets & reps. I just make up my sets & reps depending on the lift I'm doing, muscle group I'm targeting, & weight I'm using.
I generally do reps between 4-12, & do between 3-8 sets for everything. Most of the time I do 5 sets, 1 warmup, 3 with heavy weight, & 1 "cooldown" set where I try to burnout the muscle while still keeping energy for the rest of my workout.
This only works for me because I've lifted for a few years now & know enough lifts for each muscle group to not miss out on anything.
>>
>>42607375
I do that most of the time, well the last 2 sets out of 3.
1 set
Good weight for 6 reps
2 set
if i can do, i do 6 reps
3 set
i can only do 5 reps
>>
>>42613073
Interesting. How do you know what weight to choose? How do you know you can do it for 6 reps?
>>
>>42607636
I heard about that crap. It does all you've said, but to a lesser degree. It's more about the nerves that strain your arms during tension than anything else. Stick to counting those reps.
>>
File: 4 months progress.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
4 months progress.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>42607375
me after 4 months of lifting. Dont give a shit about diet or any autistic numbers in the gym. Just picking a weight i can hit approx. 8 times, dont care if i do it less or more.

Just hitting the muscles until they burn, while trying to keep the burn up for 1 hour

Only autistic gymcels count reps or calories
>>
>>42615671
>4months progress
if you're on gear
>>
>>42615788
nah anon, i was even vegan at that time.
>>
>>42607549
why are you so obsessed with posting your twink self and your disgusting """"""""""""""""""""""facial hair""""""""""""""""""""""
kys faggot
>>
The only thing that builds muscle is time under tension, and working to failure. The ideal range of time under tension is 45 seconds to about a minute. The only reason that 8-12 was considered the 'golden number' of hypertrophy is because they felt this was the ideal number for attaining that time under tension in any give rep/set of exercises. However most people do them too fast (one rep per second) which in the 8-12 range is only like 20 seconds under tension per set at best. Ideally that number should be closer to 45 seconds, at least. The problem is if you start doing too many reps, it basically stops being about muscle growth and becomes cardio. The trick is to do 10ish reps but slow enough that it stretches to about 45 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKDYfRtfqng&t=428s

video related.
>>
>>42607375
Just don't do 7 reps brah
>>
>>42616050
If your muscles feel fatigued and area little sore you tore them right? That builds muscle right? So why couldn't I just do a bunch of one arm push ups in stead of benching? Does it not make you stronger?
>>
>>42614659
yes, I mean is valid but it's harder to keep progress. Reps are convenient.
>>
>>42616539

>If your muscles feel fatigued and area little sore you tore them right? That builds muscle right? So why couldn't I just do a bunch of one arm push ups in stead of benching? Does it not make you stronger?

It's obviously not doing nothing, but gaining strength/size will come much slower if you're literally just doing that. What I described in my first post is just the most effective/efficient way to gain hypertrophy. (to my understanding)
>>
File: shegger pegger.webm (1MB, 609x452px) Image search: [Google]
shegger pegger.webm
1MB, 609x452px
I have to say, since I ditched the gym and bought a pair of changeable dumbells and a bench, I've seen a MASSIVE improvement in growth and strength, and I think it's mostly because I'm not afraid of grinding the last few reps like a madman fighting for his life, literally making weird faces with my tongue out and grunting like a caveman trying to get the last rep out; and then to finish it off I load on the heaviest I can still lift and do slow eccentrics (cheat my way up and bring it down as slow as I can), and by that point the muscle burns and I'm making noises.

Not caring about how I look when I work out made a huge difference in my lifting routine. I'm loving it.
>>
>>42615976
Because it makes little faggot like you mad
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.