[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do all beginner routines advocate OHPing often only ONCE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: unnamed.png (18KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
18KB, 300x300px
Why do all beginner routines advocate OHPing often only ONCE a week?

How do they justify this?In what fucking world is that even remotely enough volume or frequency for growth?

>working a muscle once a week is optimal

Please justify why beginner routines demand squatting THREE times a week, yet the INFINITELY more important muscle group for aesthetics - shoulders, are neglected?
>>
>>42602304
how do you OHP often but only once a week?
>>
SL has you OHPing 1-2 times a week, same as bench. 6 times a month
>>
>>42602304
1. most beginner routines have you OHPing in an alternating fashion with bench, so 1.5x a week on average
2. OHP primarily hits front delts, if you want aesthetic shoulders you need lateral raises and rear delt flyes/face pulls - so even if you were to OHP 3x a week, you would not be getting a complete shoulder workout

most efficient route to upper body aesthetics is ditching OHP entirely and focusing on bench (more bang for buck, hits triceps harder and hits chest) and then bombarding shoulders with raises 3x a week (front delts will be adequately stimulated by horizontal pressing anyway)

this is assuming you don't care about OHP strength, if you do you must OHP obviously
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (264KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
264KB, 1920x1080px
>>42602304
>doing OHP with a barbell

please don't
>>
>>42602700
>giving lifting advice ever again
please don't
>>
ohp every day if you want optimal ohp gains

dont do many sets though 1-3
>>
>>42602700
>telling others not to ohp with barbell
>post pic of fitness YouTuber with weak ass press strength
holy kek
>>
>>42602735

3x is enough, do variations same like with squats for int

for eg

int squat

back squat - front squat - back squat

so ohp will be

ohp - pin press ohp/tempo ohp - ohp
>>
>>42602754
I disagree

the load on the ohp is very low compared to the squat, you can squat 3 days and recover. You can ohp 6 times a week and still recover

better ohp variations would be, handstand pushups progress measured by elevating the hands. And some kind of standing dumbell press either 2 arms or 1

I dont like doing partial ROM but handstand pushups have better alignment with the body
>>
>>42602627
Ugh I only realised recently I had to do lateral raises after OHP in push/pull/legs, I was doing DB OHP after barbell OHP for about 2 months, am a noob.
>>
>>42602700
>how to completely and utterly fuck your rotator cuff 101

Lmao

OHP at least is safe with the rotator aa your arms are in a natural position sue to pushing it up from your chest. DB "ohp" has your arms in a completely shitty position that literally grinds your gears.
>>
>>42602777

handstand pushups are okay variation but you have to consider bodyweight in them. I mean, for lighter guys sure no problem, most of 220+ guys even fairly lean will have problems with doing handstand pushups at their weight. For lighter its great tho.

And yes you can recover from LIGHT (1-3 sets, good intensity and volume) sessions but add bench and other work to it and you gas out quickly.

Also ohp 6 times a week is cool if your ohp isnt strong, but great ohper will not ohp so damn often
>>
File: 1499285427057.jpg (26KB, 513x513px) Image search: [Google]
1499285427057.jpg
26KB, 513x513px
>>42602627
a moderate opinion on /fit/? wtf mate have we shifted reality again? fuckin memes altering reality again I swear
>>
>>42602800
>Also ohp 6 times a week is cool if your ohp isnt strong, but great ohper will not ohp so damn often
you can man russians experimented with this

obviously you cant do a lot of volume that way but the shoulder muscles respond better to frequency. Keep in mind that you could even bench 4 times a week. Obviously if you ohp 6 times theres no room for any other press
>>
>>42602819

for me its no option, supercompensation will be to low, my lifts will stall, benching will be uber hard

if your ohp is close to 1x bw or above and bench is 1.5-2x bw or above there is no way you can sucessfuly 6 times ohp and 4 times bench a week and recover without roiding
>>
>>42602782
at least you're 2 months in and not 2 years in before realizing you need lateral and rear delt work
>>42602804
don't worry i'm sure the compound-only virgins will be here in no time to tell us how isolations are useless and OHP results in complete development of all three heads despite this not being anatomically possible
>>
>>42602840
>recover without roiding
well yeah the russians that did this did roid so youre might be upto something with that
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.