[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you go to the gym religiously?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

As I'm getting older and more mature, I'm really starting to question what I'm doing. There are so many other great forms of exercise, many of them can even be combined with amazing weekend trips or entire vacations. Yet here I am focusing all my energy on picking weights up and putting them down. It's almost like an obsession.

>rock climbing
>calisthenics
>road cycling
>hiking
>martial arts
>running
>sports clubs
>work for a moving company on weekends

I'm really starting to wonder why I don't focus more of my energy on these things. Then just go to the gym 2-3 times a week for chest/back/arms/shoulders/deadlifts to maintain a good physique.

Why do you spend most of your energy on lifting weights, /fit/?
>>
>>42582742
I don't, I'd been wondering all this time why /fit/ likes to spend its time in a sweaty normie pit repeatedly lifting heavy objects rather than actually using exercise as an opportunity to connect with nature etc (as someone who exclusively does a good amount of the stuff you've mentioned)
>>
>>42582742
you can do both, you don't live at the gym
>>
Because as soon as you get into any of those, you're going to realize that lifting compliments them so much.

>Trail runner, cyclist, rookie climber
>Lift 2-3 times a week to stay fast
>>
>>42582742
There are people that actually go more than 3 times a week?
>>
>>42582742
Lifting weights brings me closer to God, it's a like a kind of self-flagelleation

God bless
>>
>>42582858
4-6 times seems to be the norm in most online lifting communities
>>
>>42582742
>I'm really starting to wonder why I don't focus more of my energy on these things. Then just go to the gym 2-3 times a week for chest/back/arms/shoulders/deadlifts to maintain a good physique.
So why don't you?
>>
>>42582849
>he doesnt live at the gym
>>
>>42582742
>>42582826
Maybe some people really don't give a shit about "connecting with nature" or MUH traveling.
Maybe they simply enjoy going to the gym and lifting weights.

If you hate doing that then why would you even do it.
>>
I know exactly what you mean. I too love to spend an entire vacation working for a moving company. It is amazing. When I was young I thought spending your vacation working for a moving company was lame, but now that I am more mature I really see how great this is. Would recommend it to anyone, really.
>>
>>42582742
I only go about 3 times a week(maybe 4 if i have a leg day). I jog and do some mild parcour when i like too every now and then.
I just don't have the dosh to get some high class bycicle or climbing gear.
Don't get me that, you only need a small budget-shit. That's a lie and you know it.
the point of hobbies, is to sink money in a pit and budget gear is always meant to be simply temporary.

So, the major reason is that i already planned my money for the event of me graduating uni and getting a job.
in order of priority:
>get gyno surgery (a few hundred eurobux)
>get eye laser surgery so i can finally ditch my glasses (a few thousand eurobux)
>get motorcycle license (Germanistan, so it costs about 1200 eurobux)

Most of that will be pretty easy to achieve, if i ever get a good job. After that i want to pursue road biking or mountain biking. I did shitty martial arts once and it was so boring. Just doing some box training every now and then to maintain capabilities of basic self-defense.
So that falls flat on its face for me.
>>
>>42582742
Climbing and hiking are good when you travel somewhere, you can't do it as a routine, like you are going to a gym. Other activities aren't really better, just different.
>>
>>42582742
I derive a lot of satisfaction from lifting progressively more. It's very easy to track progress and make sizable aesthetic gains. It's my "me time". I can fit a 40 minute session into my lunch break at the office and not have to change my week at all besides packing a gym bag in the morning.
I run and cycle and rock climb on weekends, but weightlifting is just a fun part of my daily routine.
>>
>>42582882
I'm not sure, really...

I think part of it is that I'm afraid of losing all those sweet gains I earned through hard work over the last 5 years.

I have somehow convinced myself that I NEED to be big and strong to be worth something and live a happy life. That this will make me better than other people.

But over the last 1-2 years I have started realizing more and more how dumb all this is. Why do I even care about squatting and deadlifting all these weights? Why do I need all this muscle mass? Which isn't even all that impressive anyway because I'm natty.

I don't know. It's like a mental illness.

Thanks, for asking me this question, Anon.
>>
>>42582981
It's not a mental illness, you do a job and that makes you feel that you are worth something and make you happy, thanks to dopamine.
>>
>>42582856
exactly this
>>
>>42582895
I don't do it that's my point lmao
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.