[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

5x5, Back pain and mobility

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1021.gif (3MB, 480x362px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1021.gif
3MB, 480x362px
I've been doing the 5x5 routine combined with cardio for over a year and once I added calorie counting to the mix I've been very happy with my fat loss and strength gain. Problem is, due to (I think) my inflexibility in hamstrings (can't touch my toes, not even touch halfway down my shins tbqh sempai) and hips I developed lower back pain and stiffness in my right hip, what feels like under the glute. At my last workout I did my squats and bench normally, but when I got to the barbell row, the back pain was so bad I couldn't even do one set. Normally I would feel slight pain but would be able to do 5 sets, last workout felt like reaching a breaking point though. After researching the subject today, I think my neglecting mobility training led me to, or to the verge of, a herniated disc.

I want to take a break (a few months?) from lifting and get my flexibility and mobility out of the gutter to be able to perform squats deadlifts and barbell rows in a way which will not fuck up my back any more than it already has. Any suggestions and opinions? Any stretching or/and foam rolling routines I could do? Anybody with a similar problem who was able to fix themselves and able to give advice?

>inb4 read sticky newfag
I have, now looking for first hand experiences and additional opinions and approaches on top of sticky content.

Oldfag btw, 36 yo

TL;DR:

>be me
>start lifting
>fellsgoodman.jpg
>do 5x5 for a year
>never stretch, poor mobility
>ohfuckmyback.mp3
>wat do?
>>
I had the exact same problem. Using a belt made it even worse, but that might have been due to my muffin top though.

There are lots of videos on youtube on squat/deadlift mobility, pick one and stick to it. Don't forget to also stretch and strengthen your hip flexors, they are often neglected when facing your kind of problem.
>>
>>4257332 Google PNF stretches they are more effective.
>>
>>42573547
D-did you get better?
>>
I'd advice you stop Overhead Pressing. I was getting back pain for a while and didn't realize it was this fucking lift destroying my back because there was no pain during the lift.

It may not be deadlift/squat that are hurting your backs
>>
>>42573329
Hang on a pull up bar a minute a day, I heard that helps with lower back pain

Could be just a meme tho desu famalam
>>
Exact same problem here. Also oldfag 31, started lifting this year. I developed pretty bad back pain from squats and rows. My hamstrings are as tight as they can be from all the goddamn sitting. I got an MRT two weeks ago and luckily I do not have a buldging disc or anything of that sort. My back still hurts like bitch though. I had to stop all main lifts except for bench. I am also starting physio, which will hopefully help my recovery. My advice is to stop lifting until your lower back is pain free. Focus on mobility and do only exercise which do not compress the spine.
>>
>>42573329
Get a good foam roller, triggerpoint is a good brand.

If you have lower back pain, this is probably due to your tight hips. Spend about 30 or so minutes a day for a week or two rolling out your hips and glutes, and your back pain will probably go away.

If you continue your workouts, keep the roller next to you and use it between sets on your hips and glutes. Do sub maximal sets, topping off at 50-60% of your 1RM for your working sets.

If you have never done mobility, foam roller work can get lots of tissue manipulation done in a short period of time, and personally has changed my life. I used to pop 600-1200 mg of Ibuprofen a day for back pain till I bought a foam roller.

To use the foam roller, sit on or apply pressure to it with as much body weight as you can, and inflict massive amounts of pain. Attempt to flex the muscle experiencing pain until the pain subsides. Move the roller to a new spot which is painful, and repeat until you experience little if any pain while rolling. It may take several sessions/days to fully release a muscle group.

In addition to the problems you have experienced, I have personally had lots of issues with pain, ligament popping, and inflammation in my right knee. Rolling out my quads, soleus muscle, calves, and stepping on golf balls has eliminated this pain.

Omar Isuf also has some great mobility videos, you may want to check those out.
>>
>>42573329
you have weak glutes and abs
>>
>>42574694
Oh, and I'm not fucking joking about the inflicting massive amounts of pain part. Your body should not be in pain from sitting on a foam roller or peanut with just your body weight. If it does hurt, that muscle is fucked and need release.

You will need to use the roller intensively when you first get it, and as you experience less pain when interacting with it, you can reduce sessions and get a feel for when you need it and when you don't.
>>
>>42573329
Try Cressey's Neanderthal No More program. Instead of dicking around with a hodgepodge of mobility drills and stretching for months/years (like I did), this will lay out a clear framework for how to improve.

Beginning: https://www.t-nation.com/training/neanderthal-no-more-1

Programming: https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/neanderthal-no-more-4
>>
>5x5
>over a year
Sorry for your loss anon.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.