[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

According to the sticky...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 225
Thread images: 33

File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (213KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
213KB, 1920x1080px
...you can get strong with bodyweights.

On low weight exercises your body engages the slow twitch fibres first, then the medium twitch fibres and finally when they are depleted uses your fast twitch (related to maximal strength).

By this logic, if you push your bodyweight exercises to the point where you have to try so damn hard just to do one it takes you half a minute, you will get stronk.

What do yall think?
>>
Bump for the calisthenic bros
>>
>>42566313
Memes aside body weight can help you look good if nothing else and is known to be able to get you in shape more efficiently than weights. I don't much belief it's as effective at making you bulky but I wouldn't be that surprised that it works for raw strength.
>>
>>42566313
There comes a point where body weight becomes absolutely useless. Lift real weights for non meme results newfag
>>
>>42566313

Bodyweight is alright until you reach the point when your own weight isn't enough resistance to stimulate growth.

Fiber resistance is contrary to hypertrophy. In the former you end up making fibers harder to break (they'll last longer) and in the latter you want to break as many of them as possible per workout, resulting in big gainz.
>>
>>42566743
>is known to be able to get you in shape more efficiently than weights

Please don't spout your bullshit here, you'll convince someone who doesn't know any better
>>
>>42566313
upper body weighted dips and weighted chins/pullups will last you forever.

legs on the other hand...
>>
>>42566858
t. dyel faggot
>>
>>42566877
>projecting
>>
>>42566847
you'll never reach that point with some areas of your body

Try as you might, you will never do a one-handed handstand push-up
>>
File: without pump.png (599KB, 960x959px) Image search: [Google]
without pump.png
599KB, 960x959px
>>42566847
I know bodyweight guys who have athletic physiques and they do a crazy amount of volume going on 1.5 hour training sessions.

They are at the point where they literally cannot push any more because their energy is depleted, SO they've started a new trend where they have two training sessions a day, the second session after a couple hours rest and a good meal to get the energy back up.

Hes just started it so I cant post how thats going for him, but pic related is his physique.
>>
>>42566921
That's quite the awful physique, especially chest.
>>
File: with pump.jpg (68KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
with pump.jpg
68KB, 960x960px
>>42566937
I know. When he has a pump on he looks like a different person..Looky
>>
>>42566313
problems with only bodyweight

1. good luck training your lower body, there is no possible way you can make pistol squats or any other meme shit hard enough to approach the stress of a squat or a deadlift
2. progressive tensile overload is a problem - after a certain point adding more reps and sets will not be sufficient, you must increase the tensile load on the muscle (progressing from pushups to inclined pushups to headstand pushups or something does NOT address this - you are merely emphasizing different muscles, not making the exercise more difficult for the same muscle)

it's better than nothing but there is a reason 99.99% of massive guys you run into lift weights
>>
>>42567148
just for reference, pushups and handstand pushups are treated as different progressions. pushups usually go into planche pushups and pike pushups go into handstand pushups, because, as you said, they emphasize different shit.

other than that i agree with you tho
>>
>>42567148
The reason is that hypertrophy is not the same thing as strength.
You're right about the legs, though.
>>
>>42566313
Pick one, supplement with the other.
>>
>>42567290
This. Do bodyweight as your accessories or use it as cardio with HIIT stuff.
>>
>>42567772
Or, train for advanced bodyweight movements, and lift to strengthen your weak spots
>>
I can't even do one situp, please help
>>
File: g05mkXX.jpg (18KB, 299x223px) Image search: [Google]
g05mkXX.jpg
18KB, 299x223px
>>42567834
>tfw no weaknesses
>>
File: sha.jpg (1MB, 1424x1424px) Image search: [Google]
sha.jpg
1MB, 1424x1424px
>>42567857
>ikf
>>
how the fuck do I make a pullup bar that won't bring down the plaster? I don't want to spend 200 on a rack
>>
>>42566313
In theory, sure. Good luck actually training your fast twitch fibers properly after you've depleted 95% of your energy and available muscular work load though. Its like saying running HIT sprints after running a marathon will help your explosiveness. Sure, it might, but you don't have anything in the tank to actually train that. Just do weighted shit if you want to do calisthenics and get stronger.
>>
>>42566313

No. It is inferior for strength building.
>>
>>42566743

>More efficiently than weights

Leave this board right now.
>>
>>42566313
Scum of the earth swear by free weights and condemn the body weight movements.

>>42567148
You can get weighted vests at 140 lbs, and then add 20 lb ankle/wrist weights. If we're talking about pure body weight though, you can go for explosive movements, stand on a bar and hold onto it for a static leg press/deadlift, or do some sort of 1000 rep shit.
Honestly though for hypertrophy specifically, BIG GUY mode is best with weights. Body weight is essential though and those who swear it off leave out half the training.

Wrestling and fighting heavy fuckers also a suitable replacement for weights however.
>>
DOBOTHFAGGOT

Seriously. If you only do one or the other you're just a self-limiting retard.
>>
>>42568194
>>42568117
Or just train a single body part for an hour+. Legs... for an hour, with low rest.
>>
>>42568204
I do weights every second day and bodyweight every day, but if it's true that one strengthens bonds and the other destroys them then I don't know what the fuck it does in conjunction
>>
>>42568275
Restrain the beast and it only grows stronger by breaking its bonds.
>>
>>42568341
yeah that's what I figured about nofap and now I'm in prison without appeal
>>
>>42568396
You broke the restraints way too easily. Now they must contain you... it's time to hit a new PR bro, it's time to break out of your cage.
>>
>>42568134
Your tears are delicious, jew. What's wrong, don't want the goyim to know they don't have to spend $1000 per second on a gym membership?
>>
Though it's kind of a retarded dichotomy seeing as breaking something down isn't that difficult. Like I said before, just hit the same muscle group/chain harder and longer to fuck it up. While you're at it, you can practice Iron Shirt/Golden Bell Shaolin Gong Fu and beat the shit out of your muscle after each set (makes you knife proof after 1-5 years depending on discipline and technique) and that will definitely fuck up/shock your muscles.
The bigger picture here is that, if your muscles and connective tissues are stronger and more resistant to damage, then you can lift 1000 lbs while looking like a tiny china man, while getting huge only serves the purpose of aesthetics, energy storage, and setting you up for an even higher strength potential.

Size aesthetics or Strength? Better to train for strength with slow size gains in my opinion, taking a year to add 5 lbs of lean muscle while you get a ripped low body fat physique and ultra blood pump. Adding 10 lbs of muscle in 2 years while you achieve strength, stamina, flexability, combat martial arts/science, agility, speed, skill and explosiveness goals is awesome. You can still pack on the weight if you eat and train hard enough however. It's just that you have to eat way fucking more if you're training for hours every day vs 45 - 75 minutes of weight lifting.

All a matter of will and knowledge. If your muscles are ultra-resistant to damage after years of body weight type stuff, you can still go into the gym and hit your 3RM for 20x2 or something ridiculous.
>>
>>42568509
homegym is the answer for this
>>
I think that the fact that you will gain more muscle mass with free weight is real. I'm doing bodyweight routines for a year now, I can do 12 dips when I couldn't do one diamond pushup before, went from 2 shitty to 10 pullups, but my weight maybe increased for one or two kg. Also my diet was shit, I have hard time eating a lot
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nc8dtndMhI1r5ight.gif (679KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nc8dtndMhI1r5ight.gif
679KB, 500x280px
>>42566904
>Try as you might, you will never do a one-handed handstand push-up
Is that a challenge?
>>
>>42568061
As a fellow fit M8 who weighs 200lbs, I do not even bother with a home pull up rack because I know the weak MDF casing will not be able to hold up my weight.

Just go to a gym.

T. Carpenter
>>
>>42568684
Dude that's 'nothing... and you aren't even eating so how is this relevant?

>>42568732
I like your attitude. Do it by Christmas and gift /fit/ the most precious gift: a shit eating grin and total humiliation to all those "it's not possible" faggots
>>
>>42566858
>Using your whole body vs isolating muscles
>>
>>42568852
I take it you've never heard of compound lifts?
>>
>>42567857
>no known weaknesses
lol
>>
File: Thumbs_Up_Goku.png (269KB, 767x418px) Image search: [Google]
Thumbs_Up_Goku.png
269KB, 767x418px
>>42568838
>I like your attitude. Do it by Christmas and gift /fit/ the most precious gift: a shit eating grin and total humiliation to all those "it's not possible" faggots
I'll do my best. I can already balance on one arm with help of a wall but I guess I need to work on doing free standing handstands.

InB4 I break my neck
>>
>>42568915
welcum to snap city brah
>>
>>42566313
Sure, but that same can be said for 3x5 exercises, but we do it 3 times instead of once
Also the time to get to that point progresses linearly with the amount of reps to be done. Meaning it'll just be quicker to do a minute of squats, rest, a minute of squats, rest, and another minute of squats than to do 10000 air squats
>>
Body weight is fucking patrician, it is always more appealing to do a series of perfect push ups than doing 5 heavy weight deadlifts while trying not to shit yourself
>>
>>42566858
please post you doing one arm pull ups, plance and human flag

oh you cant? then fuck off permabulking powerlifter wannabe
>>
>>42566937
Just horrible lighting

>>42566921
thats adorian
>>
>>42568915
Just as I hear grip strength contributes to total strength (something something neurology), the same can be said for the neck and head/face muscles, so do a lot of neck work.
>>
>>42566313
You can get strong with literally anything as long as there's progressive overload
>>
Bodyweight fitness is better if you actually want to become strong, lifting weights is better if you want to look like you're strong
>>
bodyweight can't into legs
>>
So while we're on the subject, what kind of weights should I get for lower body exercises when following a bodyweight program? I'm doing step ups right now but I assume weighted squats and things like that are better to do?
>>
>>42569095
yeah, looks like lot of 'pro' calisthenic guys are paralyzed below the waist
>>
>>42568663
the homejew you say?

"yes stay at home working out, don't look outside at your crumbling society, who's a good goy? db curls?! how interesting, look how strong you are! very impressive!, keep at it!"
>>
>>42569096
Why not just do squats and lunges?
>>
>>42566743
>is known to be able to get you in shape more efficiently than weights
aka in order to get good at calisthenics you need not be a lardass

correlation=/=causation
fucking mong
>>
>>42569096
pistols to weighted pistols
>>
>>42566921
no chest, otherwise for 2 hours of work per sesh, it's pretty average by my opinion for the sheer amount of work.
how long has he been at it? or has he not had enough time to change?
>>
>>42566313

Planking, no matter how hard you train or what you do with it, will never get your deadlift up to 500lbs. The muscles will adapt to the kind of stress they're exposed to, which is the entire problem with bodyweight training:

Inability to gradually increase the weight.

All you can do is reduce ROM which is suboptimal, or start doing the movements asymetrically (one handed pushups/pullups etc)
Being the kind of creatures that has one dominant side, this almost invariably means that when you start doing the movements asymetrically, you're not mirroring form correctly.

That's not even considering the fact that unless you're a manlet, you'll have tremendous difficulty performing some of the exercises you need to do to progress, simply because your skeletal levers are too long to operate efficiently. This is why SO few people over 6ft can ever do an iron cross, it's simple physics.

I've tried to add some bodyweight work to my routine for quite a while actually. It wasn't completely useless I guess, but free weights will definitely be able to make you more stronk.

That all being said, handstand pushups can be a fun way to work the shoulders, if you make sure you can reach proper depth (Stack of books/pushup handles or whatever).

But those are my two cents. If I were you OP, I wouldn't waste time with it.
>>
>>42569130
>no chest
>with arms wide like that
no shit, are you a little retarded m8?
>>
>>42567211
hypertrophy and strength are highly, highly correlated, r = 0.9 in a study comparing competitive powerlifters (the biggest determinant of how much they lifted was their muscle cross sectional area, interestingly enough subscapularis thickness was best predictor)

obviously there are neurological factors in strength, as well as matters of internal/external leverages (that's why you have chewning deadlifting a ton while being made of pipecleaners), but hypertrophy is a gigantic factor and is very important

>>42568194
the moment you put a weighted vest on or add weight somehow, you are no longer doing true """bodyweight""" training the way it's framed in this discussion

standing on a bar and holding on to it for a static leg press/deadlift is going to do absolutely nothing, and 1000 reps and super high volumes (while probably being good for metabolite accumulation which is a small factor in muscle growth) are not addressing the need for progressive increases in mechanical tension on the muscle
>>
>>42569132
You will never ever need a 500 lbs deadlift for anything in life. Deadlifiting 500 lbs doesnt mean youre fit. Doing 100 push ups, over 20 pull ups or running a mile in a short time means that you are fit

if you need to lift somehting heavy, use a forklift or something
>>
>>42568857
>everyone everywhere does compound lifts when using weights every single time
Still not using your full body
>>
>>42569118
Because I need weights for doing squats because just churning out rep after rep only builds endurance and not strength
>>
File: 1502931252123.png (10KB, 449x602px) Image search: [Google]
1502931252123.png
10KB, 449x602px
>>42569151
no, that's not how that works anon

you don't get to create your own criteria for fitness because your lifts are piping hot dogshit and you can't compete with the big boys
>>
>>42569132
To be fair, som reddit hobby-gymnast (inb4 >le reddit lelelele) did a 400lb deadlift to show that doing different kind of levers and planching did actually builds your lower body/posterior chain. It wasn't pretty, but the shit went up and that's cool considering he never actually performs the movement (hence: zero technique).

Apparently, it's a thing that gymnasts in general have relatively good deadlifts without actually deadlifting.

This of course demands you get into the advanced gymnast shit (levers and planches).
>>
>>42569165
yeah, you consider fat fuck powerlifter lifting 500+ lbs for 1 rep, but climbing a few stairs makes him windy like an old man.

typical /fit/ retard, always circle jerking about muh heavy diddylift and sqwat
>>
>>42569156
Between bench, The Press, chinups, squat, and deadlift, which muscles other than calves are not being worked?
>>
>>42569193
calves are hit in squats and diddlies
>>
>>42569196
t. calflet
>>
>>42569140
It does nothing because the body doesn't know how to react to an immovable object... at first. Start out by going from straight leg to deep squat while simultaneously pulling the entire time like some sort of new yoga thing, and eventually your neurology learns how to pull with all its might, and you got a great fucking exercise to do.
Seriously.
I have a thread on the other /fit/... 8ch, and we'll see if I hit some crazy numbers and improve my deadlift without any weights by november.

It's about how you train. If you train with the right will and passion then it just fucking works.

>>42569181
This right here. 400 lbs from gymnastics. Give him a month of deadlifting and he's at 500 lbs.
>>
>>42569207
You are?
That's ok anon, not all of us can have joocy calves
>>
Just do bodyweight with weights in backpack
>>
>>42569193
Abdominals are hardly used. Arms and chest will lag behing after a few months, as is well known to beginner strength routine users
>>
>>42569238
Abdominals are used plenty in squat. And Greyskull LP solved the problem of t-rex mode by cutting squat from deadlift day and doing arms every day.
>>
>>42569238
in shit programs sure, that isn't the fault of the exercises

>abdominals are hardly used
kek
>>
>>42569193
Not much really. Lateral delts, calves, biceps and rectus abdominis (six-pack abs) might, in proportion to the other muscles, get a little less stimulation.

This was one of reg parks fullbody routines back in the day (i think it was called "Hard Work"?)

Curls 4x6-8
Behind neck press 4x6-8
Bench Press 5x5
Rows 4x6-8
Squat 5x5
(SL) Deadlift 5x5
Leg raise 1x25

3x per week
>>
>>42566859
>>42569096
>>42569123
in which world do you live where a WEIGHTED dip or pull up or squat is a bodyweight exercise
>>
>>42569224
thiis
>>
>>42569246
>>42569248
Except abdominals arent hit for shit in any of those exercises
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_xdOuqokcm4
>>
>>42566313
why not both

/thread
>>
>>42569286
why not weighted backpack pushups pullups squats..

>oh my back!
youth of today
>>
>>42569151
gay ass criteria
id say the fittest man would be one who can survive the longest in wilderness without equipment
physically wise it would mean being able to swim and run fast, climb trees, throw stuff accurately, being able to balance yourself well and maybe swing heavy things and lift and carry moderate loads
also being able to function during intense stress and hunger
of course it means also not being brainlet and having sharp senses
>>
>>42569294
because its not a BODYWEIGHT exercise you retrard
>>
>>42569303
so if I drank 1L of water before I did my pullups it would no longer be considered bodyweight?
>>
>>42569303
you're the retard

what's the difference between bulking and putting weight in backpack?

think before you utter nonsense
>>
backpack on my back
the pack is where i put the stack
of weights
there's no turning back
gimme the plates
>>
>>42569331
so by your logic loading a weighted barbell on your back counts as bodyweight exercise because whats the difference in that and bulking up a lot of weight? think before YOU utter nonsense
>>42569330
1 liter of water INSIDE your body of course counts as bodyweight but strapping 20kg to your pack obviously is not your bodyweight
>>
>>42569188
>you have to be a fat fuck powerlifter to deadlift a paltry 500lbs

i was deadlifting that as a 190lb 17 year old, maybe you should apply yourself or reroll your genetics if you think this is such a difficult thing to achieve

>>42569219
seriously though it does absolutely nothing, stop trying to reinvent the wheel and train properly
>>
>>42569356
>so by your logic loading a weighted barbell on your back counts as bodyweight exercise because whats the difference in that and bulking up a lot of weight? think before YOU utter nonsense
You low IQ mess. Please consider the difference between weighted pushups and benchpress.
>>
>>42569378
To your logic a squat is bodyweight exercise even if you put a weighted backpack on your back so a squat with a loaded barbell on your back should still be a bodyweight exercises by your logic or does the implement magically transfers it to a non bodyweight exercises? and if so is a 100kg backpack squat or a 30kg backpack pull up a bodyweight exercises? just stop posting your just riding yourself deeper and deeper into this mess
A push ups with 50kg on your back is not a bodyweight exercise it does NOT matter with wich implement you load an exercises it still is calinsthetics or gymnastiques but not a fucking BODYWEIGHT exercise
>>
File: g.jpg (663KB, 3060x1628px) Image search: [Google]
g.jpg
663KB, 3060x1628px
Thoughts on pic related?
>>
>>42569359
Stop trying to reinvent the wheel
plates are made from steel
steel is made from iron
iron is made from heat
drop the beat
gimme the plates
strap them
stra

stra
strap
strap
str
str
str
strapemup strapemup

let the beast out the gates

strapemup strapemup
strapemup strapemup

i call it bodyweight exercise cause I'm correct

strapemup

get rekt
>>
File: images[1].jpg (4KB, 184x123px) Image search: [Google]
images[1].jpg
4KB, 184x123px
>>42569418
The backpack is attached to your body which you do bodyweight exercises with mr bingo bongo
>>
>b-bu-bu-bu there's nuh pragressive overlood
Have you considered doing bodyweight with weights
>>
>>42569438
>>>42569438
this

feels good to be high IQ
>>
>>42569419
readable version would be nice.
i can do towel pullups but i can't do 1 arm half pullup, so that progression doesn't make sense to me
>>
>>42569504
open in another tab and zoom in
>>
>>42569521
nope, can't read even with zoom.
i mean the description boxes in the pictures
>>
>>42569438
Have you considered that putting weights in a backpack or vest to do bodyweight exercises is much less safe in the long term than lifting a barbell?
>>
>>42566743

The strongest guys I know are rock climbers. Their power to weight is insane.
>>
>>42568641
> makes you knife proof
Hahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>42569271
In the real world? Adding weight doesn't change the exercise in any way, it just gives you more resistance
>>
>>42569653
how would they measure their power then? do they also deadlift?
>>
>>42569359
I could say the same thing.
>>42569712
https://youtu.be/thuFz1y7Eu0?t=21m56s
>>
>>42569734
The point of bodyweight is that you can modify the exercise however you choose to target the muscles, but the only weight that goes into the motion comes from the body.
>>
>>42569140
I think this statement confuses correlation and causation, though. Powerlifters will obviously mostly train by powerlifting, which is known to increase hypertrophy. But does that mean someone who has trained while never powerlifting on purpose will never reach a similar range? (We of course expect less performance, but the range could be accessible if what I could grasp from research is true, and otherwise not). Conversely, is there nobody who is hypertrophy'd to shit yet performs badly in general strength tests?
>>
>>42569271
the point is not having to leave your apartment
>>
>>42570350
Not necessarily. This isn't a "homegym" thread, this is bodyweight. Sure, someone could be asking because they want to exercise without leaving the apartment. But maybe they're in jail and don't have access to equipment, too. Or perhaps they just want to try it out as an experiment.
>>
>>42569734
this>>42570215
sure you can do weighted dips pull ups etc its still calisthenics but as soon you add weight you are by definition not doing "bodyweight" exercises anymore and this thread is about them vs weights and not general Gymnastics vs weights
>>
It's true. Not as much as /BWG/ fags want you to believe, but more than /PLG/ thinks.
>>
>>42569438
>>42569445

S- s- samefag!
>>
>>42569653
Rock climbers aren't strong though, not in the conventional sense.
They have insane grip strength and are very strong compared to a normie of similar weight, but a powerlifter of similar weight would completely and utterly destroy them even if you tested their general strength and not competitive lifts. When it comes to actual power display, yeah, they're damn good.
Rip is right, "powerlifting" really is a retarded name.
>>
>>42569130
Im struggling to believe that's all he got from 1.5 hour sessions several time a week.

Either hes inconsistent or does a lot less tha what he claims.
>>
>>42569132
It's not just gradually increasing the weight, rather workload or Time-Under-Tense. Baisically instead of going heavier a bodyweight man can go longer with less rest.
>>
>>42567148
>progressing from pushups to inclined pushups to headstand pushups or something does NOT address this
First of all, the progression would be to DECLINE pushups. Second of all, handstand pushups work your shoulders, not your chest.

Fucking shitposting moron
>>
>>42569300
I love how you rationalise your lifestyle by putting it into extreme situations.

the cold harsh truth about these extreme situations is they are all down to chance more than anything. Your muscles aren't what decide whether there is a bear around the corner.
>>
>>42569096
Do shrimp squats.
>>
>>42566313
>...you can get strong with bodyweights.
Of course you can, why does every dipshit on this board overcomplicate strength training? Your body cannot tell the difference between lifting free weights and lifting bodyweight; as long as your muscles are being stressed in the proper rep/set range and your diet is in check, you will build muscle. This is not a difficult concept - bodyweight is not better or worse in this regard than free weights. This should be obvious, as even people who train with weights often incorporate certain bodyweight exercises such as pull-ups, inverted rows, or dips, and recognize the ability of those exercises to build muscle.

That being said, bodyweight has three main problems:
>can't do legs
>lifts become either awkward balance exercises after a certain point, or asymmetrical which makes them tedious and inordinately difficult to perform
>at the very advanced level, you simply will not be able to tax your muscles without adding weight

None of this has ANY relevance for people in the beginner/intermediate stage (which is practically everyone who is wondering about bodyweight routines) except for the first point - and let's face it, many fitness newbies don't give two shits about legs anyways.

For people who start off very skinny or very fat, your strength-weight ratio will be low and bodyweight exercises will be just as effective as weight training for the most part. It's a great starting point for people who are gym-conscious. It also gives a great sense of progression when you can finally do an exercise that you couldn't do a few weeks ago, like a pull-up or a handstand, that you really don't get with weight training. I think doing exclusively bodyweight past ~6 months of training can start to be more inconvenient than just going to the gym, but it certainly isn't impossible if a person wants to stick with it.
>>
>>42571666
>can't do legs
You tryna trick me Satan?

I know what a bodyweight squat is
>>
>>42571811
Bodyweight squats are a complete joke. With 0 previous experience my starting squats were already at 135lbs added weight and that's not particularly strong for starting from blank. And freeweight squats always include bodyweight.
>>
>>42571850
Well yeah but you can't do 40 squats in a set with added weight.
>>
what bodyweight core exercise is the best for the complete fucking noob whose abs are so weak his back hurts all the time?
>>
>>42571666
>cant do legs
You literally just argued the weights dont matter and that stress is what matter.

This is how you do leg. You squat. You keep squatting until you cant squat anymore.
>>
>>42572255
hyper extensions and elbow to knee crunches and finally planks (OUCH!)
>>
>>42572072
>just do bodyweight squats
>but with added weight
Seriously?
>>
>>42571850
You're a joke, motherfucker. Have you ever tried to do 100 bodyweight squats? It fucking hurts!
>>
>>42569429
>The backpack is attached to your body which you do bodyweight exercises with mr bingo bongo

The BARBELL is attached to your body which you do bodyweight exercises with mr bingo bongo

Not the guy you were replying to, but i don't think it would still be a "bodyweight" exercise
>>
File: I AM SO GREAT I AM SO GREAT.gif (464KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
I AM SO GREAT I AM SO GREAT.gif
464KB, 480x360px
ITT: Body-weight fags attempting to defend their inefficient workout routines
>>
>>42572303
Stress obviously meaning the amount of load on your muscles you fucking moron. Are you being intentionally dense?
>>
>>42572363
Evidence that bodyweight is "inefficient" for people who aren't powerlifters/bodybuilders/on gear? I don't do bodyweight except for pullups, but there is literally no reason to think that it would function any different than weights
>>
File: 1493061336514.jpg (132KB, 310x440px) Image search: [Google]
1493061336514.jpg
132KB, 310x440px
>>42572303
I said free weights don't matter, but progressive overload is obviously still critical. I don't know if you are illiterate or actually think that your body magically responds better to lifting a specific type of heavy shit
>>
File: proper rto form.webm (2MB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
proper rto form.webm
2MB, 640x800px
TLDR me the thread
>>
>>42567857
lol vitor was roided as fuck, in that pic he was 19 by the way
>>
File: QUIET BIET DIET ZIET FIET.gif (596KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
QUIET BIET DIET ZIET FIET.gif
596KB, 480x360px
>>42572515
Yes there is. You can only grow so large from your own body weight until you become used to it. Sorry, Gunther, the reason why you're skinnyfat is because you're trying to make gains through bodyweight

Want to get big? Lift weights.
>>
>>42572631

>>42572363
>>
>>42572468
I dont argue with burgers.

>>42572539
Progressive overload is the workouts getting harder in terms of weight or reps. It's not my fault you don't understand what your own sentences imply.

>>42572631
Thats fucking ripped. Good mass.

>>42572690
Just add more reps
>>
>>42572690
I do lift, but you haven't provided a shred of evidence for what you're arguing. Stop projecting and shitposting
>>
File: 1495350572496.gif (167KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1495350572496.gif
167KB, 400x300px
>>42572539
>I don't know if you are illiterate or actually think that your body magically responds better to lifting a specific type of heavy shit
>>
>>42572734
>Just add more reps
If you do this then all you're doing is going for endurance and not mass
>>
File: planche pushups.webm (517KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
planche pushups.webm
517KB, 854x480px
>>42572734

>can bench 315
>can't planche
>can planche
>can also bench 315
>>
File: 1468075855876.gif (2MB, 268x268px) Image search: [Google]
1468075855876.gif
2MB, 268x268px
>>42572762
>guy is a fucking hunchback

WTF I HATE WEIGHTLIFTING AND GOOD POSTURE NOW
>>
>>42572762
Is this supermong ?
>>
>>42572751
Mass is for attracting other males. Girls care abotu how ripped you are, therefore bodyweights will suffice, nigga.
>>
>>42572762
thanks for posting but wtf is wrong with your back
>>
File: 1468704346292.jpg (100KB, 640x762px) Image search: [Google]
1468704346292.jpg
100KB, 640x762px
>>42572797
>Mass is for attracting other males. Girls care abotu how ripped you are, therefore bodyweights will suffice, nigga.

Wanna know how I know you're a virgin?
>>
>>42572818
>implying the majority of women don't prefer shredded abs vs fat enveloped muscles
>>
File: 2 finger planche.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
2 finger planche.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>42572808
>>42572778

It's called protraction and it's used to help with stabilization and loading of the body into the right position to planche so that you don't arch or pike. He's doing a exaggerated version of it tho.
>>
>>42572818
this is not true at all.
>>
body weight is for people who want to look good while not looking like some fucking freak. you get rippling muscles and low body fat while weight lifters are just gorillas ripping all their shirts and having no real definition only big blobs of fat with muscle underneath since they eat like 6000 calories a day and then to actually look good they have to cut it all to get their muscle to show. they may be stronger but who the fuck cares when someone could just shoot you and you die. its all about aesthetics and body weight is much much better for that. oh and enjoy all your dumb fucking injuries and pains in the future from trying to lift 700 pound weights LOL
>>
File: erickk.png (1MB, 1187x571px) Image search: [Google]
erickk.png
1MB, 1187x571px
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXpyBCnBtWG/?hl=en&taken-by=88erikk
>thread btfo
>>
>>42572875
Bodybuilders are easier to beat up as well. If some monkey-man tries to flex his muscles at me I'll give him one quick punch in his sternum and steal his girl with my abs.
>>
>>42572818
I mean, he's right. Lean and muscular is generally considered to be more "aesthetic" by women, which is the type of body you will get from a proper bodyweight progression and a good diet.
>>
File: 1470770970246.png (261KB, 319x422px) Image search: [Google]
1470770970246.png
261KB, 319x422px
>>42572844
>>implying the majority of women don't prefer shredded abs vs fat enveloped muscles
>implying you can't cut by lifting weights
>>42572866
Oh yes it is.
>>42572897
Indeed, and cutting is possible while lifting weights. Furthermore, lifting weights and good diet are not mutually exclusive.
>>42572894
literal virgin

Bodyweight fags hang yourself from a pull-up bar.
>>
Anyone who can do 50kg dumbell flyes will be huge.
Now imagine doing bodyweight flyes on some gymnastic rings and it's exactly the same exercise with more stabiliser muscles requires.

Bodyweight triumphs.
>>
>>42572937
>implying bodyweight exercises with controlled diet isnt cheaper and quicker journey to aesthetics than bulking on weights and then cutting it.

More expensive too.
>>
>>42572937
>Indeed, and cutting is possible while lifting weights.
Yep, it's also possible doing bodyweight exercises since those are also "lifting weights". Great strawman. I'm not sure what your point is here, since all that guy was arguing was that it is also possible to get an aesthetic physique without using free weights.
>>
File: 1451879503437.png (15KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1451879503437.png
15KB, 400x400px
>>42572945
>Bodyweight triumphs.
>greater risk of hyperextension injuries
>less stability
>harder to begin exercise
>harder to come by equipment for exercise
Sure you do you fampai
>>
I know if youve never lifted or are fat as fuck you can get strong from bodyweight shit.

Bench press between raised surface
Handstand pushup
Diamond pushups
Pullups
Chinups
Pistol squats/single leg
Glute ham raise
Calves on stairs
Abs and lower back

Ive been doing this routine for about a month now and can say I def have gotten stronger
>>
File: 0uEHg94d.jpg (82KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
0uEHg94d.jpg
82KB, 1252x1252px
>>42572959
Other guy implied that you can only get a shredded physique through bodyweight when that's just not true. I never strew a man there.
>>
>>42572965
string is hard to come by. Okay...
>>
File: Walder Ayy.jpg (96KB, 615x410px) Image search: [Google]
Walder Ayy.jpg
96KB, 615x410px
>>42572991
>string
>secure bolts for string
>roomy place to build this meme machine

Now let's look at dumbbell flies
>dumbells
>>
>>42572969
Yeah, and the weight thing is, these weightlifters are pushing more weight than us bodyweight lads, but for some reason they cant move their bodies as easily as we can.

Great example is in wrestling, where bodyweighters can move around like a spider, fast, agile and bouncey.

Weightlifters are slow and bulky. Like they can lift 100kg with their chest, but they cant lift 80kg bodyweight
>>
>>42573010
throw a rope over a tree branch. tie knots at equal distance and start doing flyes.

Its too hard!!11
>>
>>42573013
>Weightlifters are slow and bulky. Like they can lift 100kg with their chest, but they cant lift 80kg bodyweight
Is this what DYELs tell themselves?
>>
>>42573022
>justifying shit equipment
A symptom of a spergerburger
>>
Gymnast rings+resistance bands can get you to otter mode and if you progress to advance movements you will have excellent strength.
>>
>>42573010
>Now let's look at dumbbell flies
>dumbells
You also need a bench, dumbass
>>
File: 1502650621873.jpg (288KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1502650621873.jpg
288KB, 640x960px
https://youtu.be/Gx45nUETmIA
>>
>>42573040
Its actually a counter point to your argument over it being too complicated you severe autist.

You're a burger innit? Burgers are kuffars.
>>
>>42573010
>>42573074
Not only that but you need to dish out big bucks on dumbells and plates and have somewhere to store it all, and then buy more plates when your ones get too small.

Meanwhile Chad puts his string in his sock draw for next session - if he can find the time in between all the sex he is getting
>>
>>42572338
I stopped at 30 because I was bored and didn't feel any difficulty.
>>
>>42573103
>too complicated you severe autist.
>tfw 2 intelligent to do efficient exercises
>>42573074
still easier than the stupid meme exercise you want to install.
>>
>>42572887
I'm not clicking that link. Post or gtfo.
>>
>>42573122
Chad goes to the gym. Gunther looks like pic related attempting meme exercises
>>
File: 1485482270390.jpg (49KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1485482270390.jpg
49KB, 480x480px
>>42566859
>Weighted dips count
>weighted squats do not count
>>
You can do variations for dips and pull ups once they get easier

for example progressions for one handed pull ups and progressions for one handed dips (archer dips, etc), both will give good hyperthrophy

I prefer doing that rather than going to the gym since you use less time and you can do it whenever you want
>>
File: Screenshot_168.jpg (122KB, 495x914px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_168.jpg
122KB, 495x914px
>>42566847
This is a meme. MPB should be overwhelmed by MPS. Peak MPS is 24hrs., suggesting light (hypertrophy) lifts.
>>
>>42566313
Serious question:

Why could you not get seriously strong and jacked upper body with one arm versions of bodyweight moves?
>>
>>42573373
because bodyweight in general is a meme
>>
>>42573382
That's not an explanation.

A push up is like 70% BW, why would mastering one arm push ups not let you move 1.4xBW?

Stuff like that.
>>
Getting strong and getting ripped are two different things.

t. ex-calisthenicsfag.
>>
>>42573336
I like this infographic. Currently starting to work out for the first time since highschool, if I eat a protein bar before I work out my shoulders don't get sore. If I forget to, I feel fine the first day but then I am completely sore the day after.
>>
File: 1451892788753.jpg (16KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1451892788753.jpg
16KB, 400x400px
>>42572854
Watching this was physically painfull, why would you do that to yourself, rip fingers.
STOP IT
>>
>>42567148
Not everyone wants to be "massive" and for the large majority bodyweight is more than enough to stay healthy and look good.

>>42568061
I luckily happen to have a door frame that can hold mine fine but it tears off the paint when I try to move it lower or higher (need it lower for horizontal pulls, higher for pull-ups). I've just accepted it. Renting the house anyway and it's not in very good shape so it's not a big deal for me. It does bother me that bodyweight people act as if it's so easy to do pull-ups though. Same with dips, probably going to have to buy bars because chairs will just fall over if I try to use them.
>>
What are the best overall bodyweight, simple exercises that I could incorporate into my training? Already doing pull ups, are push ups/dips worth it?
>>
>>42569132
>Being the kind of creatures that has one dominant side, this almost invariably means that when you start doing the movements asymetrically, you're not mirroring form correctly.
Start with your non-dominant side, check your form and don't do more reps on your dominant side. Easy.
>>
>>42571496
>decline push ups
>do them anyway
>>
>>42573604
Dips are good. Pushups aren't very useful if you're already doing bench (or five different bench variations on the same day like some morons here do). You could swap bench for an appropriate pushup variation depending on how strong you are, but there wouldn't be much of a point. If you're strong enough to do one-arm decline pushups you're probably at the limit of bodyweight
>>
>>42572690
>Working out only to impress people with how YUGE you are and not to actually become strong
Cut the projection, fucktard
>>
>>42573382
Tell that to every single gymnast on the planet
>>
>>42566313
>bodyweight exercises
>strong lower body and lower back
Pick 1

If you don't want to go to the gym lift stones or something.
>>
File: 1326301398285.jpg (3KB, 126x116px) Image search: [Google]
1326301398285.jpg
3KB, 126x116px
>>42569653
>tfw been climbing for 5 years now

although I don't workout as hard as I used to I am enjoying the results of this combo
>>
>>42573968
They all lift free weights too.

Also, do you have the time to dedicate practicing gymnastics for 5 hours a day, as if you're an Olympic athlete?
>>
>>42574122
>as if you're an Olympic athlete
Well everyone shitting on bodyweight seems to think they're a juiced up olympic powerlifter
>>
>>42569085
lifting 3,4, even 5 hundred pounds won`t make you strong lifting your probably under 200 pounds body will...want to know how I know your retarded?
>>
File: mb.jpg (161KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mb.jpg
161KB, 1920x1080px
>>42573530

Watching this was physically painful, why would you do that to yourself, rip shoulders and elbows.

Stop IT
>>
>>42574355
t. inbred
>>
Let's be honest. The reason why most people ignore bodyweight exercises is because of how harder they are than lifting. People who say you can't become stronger from doing pushups and pull ups are fucking retarded.

t. Someone who does both BW and FW
>>
>>42569095
>>
>>42574122
Lifting free weights is a very small part of their routine and most gymnasts don't even start doing it until their late teens at the earliest

And I don't give a shit about working out to look big
>>
>>42574355
Yup, it will, unless you want to tell me that you can do things like the iron cross or handstand pushups just from lifting weights
>>
>>42566313
oh boy I just love doing 50+ reps like a jackass
>>
>>42575555
If you do more than 20 reps, you have no clue what you're doing.
>>
Are chinups and variations truly the only way to hit biceps with bodyweight?
>>
>>42576400
You can do self resistance curls. Those are...interesting feeling and take some getting used too.
But they work beautifully.
>>
>>42576400
Most upper body exercises use them to some extend, but chinups hit them fairly hard. Targeting biceps is retarded anyways since they grow slow as balls
>>
On a related note, has anyone on /fit/ tried the Greyskull program (GSLP) as written in the book, i.e. with daily bodyweight excercises? Curious about the results if so.
>>
>>42576400
pseudo planche fucker. Hands turned downward, placed near the hips/waist on the ground; do a push up in that position and similar variations.
>>
>>42567857
>no known weaknesses
>the 2nd round
>>
>>42570895
Define strong bruh
Is strong being able to do 70 one arm pullups or deadlift 700lb?

It comes right backaround from the start of body weight vs free weight for building strength to the end where is a guy who can jump higher run faster and move his body weight around the best stronger than the guy who can lift heavier and move maximal weight the best?
>>
>>42571666
Hell's angel return to your pit of misery.

You're a fuckin' meme tempered by reason. Eat shit. Now... when you exercise at a low weight, you use the slow or mid twitch fibers first. After they have exhausted themselves, and especially if you don't let the muscles recover, you begin to use the fast and ultra fast twitch fibers. If you can only do 200 squats total, and you perform these 200 squats, and then perform as many squats as possible over the next 5 minutes, you will have effectively DESTROYED your ultra fast twitch fibers and developed maximal strength.

Routines and set/rep shit is for fitness plebs. You're the armchair fedoras of the fitness world. Not that you shouldn't do 5x5 or 10x3, but that is one fucking icecream flavor and there's a whole world of knowledge that you're ignorant of or too arrogant to understand.

I already have a thread on infinity chan to prove that body weight can get you mass and massive strength, so I'll let the results talk when I add 4 lbs of lean muscle, get ripped, add to my max reps and 50+ lbs to my deadlift in 3 months without a single weight. Also with a fuckaround training program... I'll make it.

>>42577298
If you know how to train, it doesn't matter what you use, since you know how to get the best results out of it. So you can get a 700 lb deadlift without a weight... lift a fucking tree for instance. And fuck everyone that thinks isometrics/statics don't work.
>>
>>42577494
Interesting. I'm a calisthenics man myself but I don't take the ultra high rep approach. I'm open to advise tho. Could you post your routine or example if your exercise and reps? Mine is a fairly standard pull up dips etc etc until you can get 3x12 then move on to the next progression.
>>
>>42566743
>more efficient than weights
I love bodyweight training but this is plain wrong.

Read up on fitness before posting, it's bad for the board's integrity.
>>
>>42577626
Mostly I just learn how to flex my body, make my strength and muscle activation symmetrical, improve my movement patterns, balance, that sort of thing.
It's gotten my looking pretty damn good. Shit like flexing as hard as you can in different positions (not just isolated flexing, but whole body maximal tensing), or exhausting your muscles by flexing it at different angles then squeezing it as hard as possible when you're tired to hit the fast twitch fibers is what I do. I've done this since high school, and I FUCKING EXPLODE when I have a blood pump, but look sorta dyel if I haven't exercised or flexed for a few days.

In essence my training has been half assed for years. My high twitch fibers activate easily so a couple years ago I could deadlift 285 lbs at 155 lbs 5'10 (grip was lacking back then so prob 305 lbs with straps) after a month of training at 175 lbs deadlift with volume and the "lift as if it was 1000 lbs" principle along with a 175 lb squat in the SS program. My friend was doing SS with me but he got a trainer who tested his max (we never did because I thought we should learn the form at light weights first; no ego lifts eh?) and he got 285 lbs, so I tested and got 245 lbs. Added 40 lbs in 3 weeks (grip was shit mind you, prob 60 lbs with straps).
My point being that your training often "shows through" after you've learned the technique, prepped the body for catalytic change, and "cleared the channels" so to speak. When I train seriously my numbers often shoot through the roof since I've trained my muscle activation and high threshold fibers for years without weights.

So my serious suggestion would be to practice maximal muscle flexion. Just learn how to flex until your body is beat red and your muscles and veins are exploding. Don't send all the internal pressure to your head, your head isn't a fucking muscle, but it does contribute in a similar way to brain gains... for some reason.
>>
>>42577814
Bad news, you're retarded.
>>
>>42577494
>200 reps for strength
5x5 ain't a conspiracy and you are retarded. Literally broscience: the post.
>>
>>42577827
This guy isn't me. But honestly you're whole training idea seems a bit strange let's say.
>>
>>42577814
Wut
>>
>>42577626
Perform push ups and squats in the most difficult manner via maximal tension, muscle activation (recruiting more muscle groups/chains), and balanced strength. The latter means, if you're going through the movement, your strength should be similar throughout the movement, and you should have similar strength in slightly different variations of the movement.
Make sure you can flex every muscle until it cramps, without "working it out", but just by using antagonistic muscles and advantages/disadvantageous leverages.
If you can recruit all your muscle chains you have a greater foundation for total strength.

When you do the more standard training, all the separately strong muscle chains begin to coordinate and you don't experience plateaus but explosive gains. I like to throw different techniques in and chain things together, listening to my body. So I'll do some slow, controlled, difficult full RoM reps then go for quick and elastic, then maybe stiff strict reps.

If I'm not getting enough training I'll up the rep/sets (10x20 pushups for instance) or just make each rep more difficult (1 minute reps; or full body maximal muscle contraction reps, as if I was under 10g)

I also prefer many variations of the same motion over a long amount of time with high rest periods or a short high intensity series of exercises vs cardiovascular/muscle endurance workouts (which is honestly holding me back). I'm finally getting serious about my training again, so we'll see in three months if I get the results I promise.

>>42577851
I said 5x5 is fine.
>>
>>42577915
Nice man. Keep us updated if possible.
>>
>>42577851
And it's not 200 reps, it's, hit your max reps then keep doing reps every 10 seconds until you're cold and shaky. It's not the beginning nor end either, it's part of the whole shebang.
>>
>>42577934
Thanks, I will. I'll screencap I guess.
Thread posts: 225
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.