[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can lifting cause brain damage?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: weight-lifting-brain.jpg (1MB, 2380x2400px) Image search: [Google]
weight-lifting-brain.jpg
1MB, 2380x2400px
I was going through my usual routine at the gym today when, towards the end of my workout, a guy approached me and warned me about slamming the weight down on the hard surface while barbell rowing, as it would 'splatter my brains'. (I usually lift on the hard surface rather than the padded area, so that I can see myself from the side and make sure my back is straight).

I'm now wondering if the impact shock when slamming weights down during deadlifts/rows/etc can actually harm the brain at all? This has never struck me before, so it's making me kinda paranoid now. If anyone knows any studies on the subject, that would be fantastic
>>
why do you think they're called meat heads?
>>
>>42555121

Why are you slamming the weight on rows? Thats not right at all unless you mean dropping it the last rep.

Also yes you can get brain damage. You drop the barbell on your head during an ohp and yeah brain damage can happen.
>>
>>42555149
Insecure nerds
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 229x220px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 229x220px
Short answer no.
Your brain is tightly adhered to your skull by a covering known as the Dura, this dura ensures minimal movement during the hustles and bustles of moving around.
However if you're old enough (Brain shrinks) or you apply enough force i.e. high speed car accident, punch or fall, then you can get it to move around.
>>
>>42555170
I'm doing pendlay style rows right now, which means straight up from the ground each rep
>>
>>42555295

I've always kept the weight off the ground had no idea people rested after every rep seems kind of cheating yourself out of gains to me.
>>
>>42555212
Your brain absolutely always moves around. Always. There is nothing to insure "minimal movement", your brain is *supposed* to move, it could not function if it was static in space. This is why your brain is literally floating in cerebrospinal fluid.

Anyway, back to OP.

>guy came to me and said some stupid shit
>guys is it true??

why do you come here? I'm getting so sick of this site being full of just outright stupid people
>>
>>42555329

Move around in a very loose sense, the cranial cavity is cramped as it is in a adult brain and the double reflections of the dura with its folds ensure very minimal movement.
>>
Should not unless you somehow subject your brain to a high enough acceleration. Practically it should not happen unless you drop it on your head
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.