[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Training Around a Bad Shoulder (Substitution Exercises)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

Sup /fit/
I have a chronic shoulder injury from a (non gym related) incident a few years back.

Damaged ligament and cartillage, had very frequent dislocations.

Had surgery a few months ago to stop it dislocating from everyday activities but it still remains very much a bad shoulder, seeing a physio and sports doc to see if some kind of rehab is possible.

Anyway, I started lifting a few months ago on StrongLifts and later ICF but realized pretty quickly that the shoulder was a problem on a lot of the lifts, so I started looking up substitution exercises to still be able to train in the mean time.

I can't hold the bar in position with any significant weight in the Back squat, so I replaced these with Hack Squats.

The hard limit for the normal grip bench press beyond which I get significant acute pain in the shoulder even with proper form is about 95 lbs.
I've since started doing close grip BP instead which doesn't seem to hurt the shoulder nearly as much.

Overhead press is out of the question, as I can't risk my arm dislocating at the top of a lift with a loaded bar behind my neck, and it causes a lot of acute pain.
I replaced this one with a Landmine press, which I've reached about 55kg on.

I know I'm basically butchering 3 of the most venerable lifts here (hey at least I'm not using machines), and my aim is to eventually be able to do them properly, how much gains do you think I'm missing out on this way and are there any assistance lifts I can do to make up for it ?

pic: Tits always related
>>
I hear you on the shoulder injury!!! Had surgery on both of mine, left, rotator, right, 3 muscles 2 tendons..
Squats are like you said, can't hold a bar in back squat..ton of hack squats amd leg press....bp I do dumbbells on a Swiss ball, up to 90lb db for 10 reps!!! Incline the same dbs!!!! Most of my exercises have to be done with db but I am getting great gains in size and strength....there are a ton of exercises you can do for your shoulder to regain strength and mobility.....best of luck!!!
Thread posts: 2
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.