[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

no rack, just smith

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: smith.jpg (35KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
smith.jpg
35KB, 500x500px
Anybody do Smith-machine-only workout plans?

My apartment has a gym and it's really nice except for the fact that there is no olympic barbells.

So no bench press, no free BBs for deadlift, no squat rack.
>>
>>42506471
The smith machine is great for getting jacked, better than barbell (Dorian Yates got better gains from smith machine squats than barbell squats, look it up).

Dont listen to the powerlifting fatsos like jason blaha and rippletits who say barbells are better.
>>
>>42506584
Forgot pic
>>
>>42506471

>it's really nice

No its not
>>
>>42506471
Do you have dumbells and/or machines ?
>>
>>42506630
yeah tons. Everything else is decked out, just no barbells

In fact, the freeweights area is much nicer than most paid gyms I've had memberships at.
>>
>>42506471
>>42506584
>>42506605

>Yates interview with TNation:

T: Do you ever use Smith machines and do you have any strong opinions about that piece of equipment?

Dorian: Yeah, I used them for pressing movements, like incline press and shoulder press. I used it for squats, as well. I was brought up in the era of Tom Platz and he always said, "You've gotta squat; squats are the greatest thing for your thighs." Obviously it was true for Tom Platz. He had a good structure so that when he was squatting, the majority of the stress was taken by his quadriceps; his structure was quite short. So I was religiously squatting for the first five or six years that I was training. My legs were okay but they weren't great, until I began experimenting.

Then, squatting on a Smith machine, I could position my body so it was much more isolated on the quads, less glutes and lower back involvement, didn't have to worry about the balance aspect. Actually my legs improved a lot when I was doing Smith squats, hack squats, leg presses – I could isolate the thighs a lot more. So actually I used the Smith machine quite a bit for squatting.

T: That's fascinating because that flies in the face of so much advice.

Dorian: If it works, do it. If it doesn't, don't. My attitude is, don't agonize over why.
>>
>>42506829
link if you want to read the full thing:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/dorian-yates
>>
>>42506829
>>42506837
>squat for 5-6 years
>switch to smith machine to focus more on quads, while removing back and glutes
>therefore the smith machine is better than squatting
>>
>>42506899
Man it must suck having such bad reading comprehension
>>
>>42506899
I don't think you understand...
Maybe you should go back to plg or some other basic powerlifitng hug box.
>>
>>42506471
just use a skateboard bruh
>>
>>42506917
>>42506929

Maybe I'm a retard, but how does a guy that has been squatting for 5-6 years and then using the smith machine to isolate his quads more mean that smith machines are better for getting jacked.
>>
>>42506968
>Maybe I'm a retard
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>42506986
>>42506929
>>42506917
What about what he said is hard for you dumbshits to understand? Furthermore a smith machine might be great for isolation but for pure power nothing will replace the barbell squat
>>
>>42506471
>no bench press, no free BBs for deadlift, no squat rack
doesn't sound like a gym.
>>
>>42508431
>Furthermore a smith machine might be great for isolation but for pure power nothing will replace the barbell squat
Is that a fact? or some broscience some retarded powerlifter said.

How come the strongest overhead presser (Zydrunas Savickas) of all time says that smith machine presses are the best exercise for developing pressing power?

The Smith machine is superior to barbell for both hypertrophy and strength.
>>
>>42509138
True. Just think about it logically, if you didn't have to worry about balance do you think you could move more weight or less? More obviously, which translates into greater strength. However, this does come with the caveat that you will not develop the small stabilizer muscles to the same degree as with free weights, so to be well-rounded one should clearly perform both (as both Z and Yates did).
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.