[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gluten

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0573.jpg (37KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0573.jpg
37KB, 320x240px
Can someone please explain the gluten free meme to me.

>just saw a qt 3.14 walking around in a tshitrt with "Are you Gluten free?" Printed across it.

Pic semi related
>>
>>42493695
It isn't a meme.
Some people have a genetic condition called 'Celiac Disease' that makes their body have a severe reaction to gluten in foods; they experience severe pain in their gut, and don't absorb nutrients properly. The alveoli in their intestines actually end up looking like they've been burned. Left untreated, it can KILL you.

Some people have a sensitivity to gluten that's not Celiac-related. This phenomenon is still being researched since the symptoms and effects are widely varied.

Then there's the distinct possibilty that many glutenous foods (mainly wheat, but also oats, corn, peas, beans, and others) might be retaining enough herbicide residue (usually Roundup, which contains glyphosate, a known carcinogen that is banned in many countries) to cause people problems. This is being investigated but Monsanto and other companies are doing what they can behind the scenes to hamper the research because there are literally billions of dollars in revenue at stake for them.

As a result of all the above some people are experimenting with a gluten-free diet. As a result some people are experiencing improvement in symptoms and overall health that may be because of excluding gluten from their diet. Others experience no improvements. The subject is still relatively new and there is much misinformation and assumptions on both sides of the argument.
>>
>>42493855
good post
>>
>>42494003
indeed.
>>
>>42493855
Thanks
>>
>>42493855
great example of fpbp
>>
>>42493695
been gluten free for 5 years due to allergy

in the mean time managed to gain almost 50 lbs

don't fall to the meme
>>
>>42493695
As a counterpoint to the first post that while not incorrect is overly positive to the idea imo:
It's mostly part of the current food-religions that are under the impression that completely removing some kind of food from their diet will magically fix everything in their life despite no scientific evidence supporting this. 95% of the people you encounter that avoid gluten will not need to do so from medical reasons, and it may actually harm them by limiting their diet when most people really need to do the opposite and diversify what they eat. Obviously some people are raking in cash by selling people expensive products or meal programs free of whatever they've convinced people is harmful.
>>
>>42493695
>>42493855
Thanks for the first post. Thumbs up.

Cutting out gluten literally turned my life around, to the better.
>>
>>42495202
>95%
Did you invent that percentage?
>Obviously some people are raking in cash by selling people expensive products or meal programs free of whatever they've convinced people is harmful.
Yeah, sometimes they replace wheat by sugar lmao
>>42495031
Fuck U. Even if it's just a poor attempt trolling.
>>
>>42496751
>Did you invent that percentage?
Yes, where do you think we are. You can get an actual number by comparing the numbers of diagnosed and assumed undiagnosed people that actually suffer from a problem and people that buy the products. I can tell you they don't add up at all. People that actually suffer will get very ill when eating gluten while tons of people that are in it for the cult meme will demand gluten free all the time while eating something else with gluten. My friend with actual celiac disease mocks them all the time, though he appreciates the dumbasses making the products cheaper for him through demand.
>>
>>42493855
This is really good post. From my anecdotal experience when I was younger I had troubles with frequent diarrheas every other day or even everyday sometimes. To the point I was in hospital to get tested, they didn't find anything so I'm sure I don't have celiac disease, but even tho since I dropped all gluten I didn't have a single diarrhea in the past 4 years. In my opinion if you have any problems with digestive tract try droppping gluten and see if it helps if not then you don't have to worry about gluten.
>>
A friend of mine has IBS and supposedly it's better for those people as well

Supposedly
>>
>>42496718

What specifically did it change for you?
>>
File: 5232796134_6f436511e2.jpg (109KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
5232796134_6f436511e2.jpg
109KB, 500x375px
>>42493855
>alveoli
*microvilli
>>
File: 1478480720052.jpg (55KB, 637x469px) Image search: [Google]
1478480720052.jpg
55KB, 637x469px
>>42496908
Symptoms of gluten-related illnesses may vary greatly.
So, for me, then:
>tired in the morning, felt like shackled to my bed, tried everything from 6 to 11 hours sleep
>brainfog, unable to concentrate, or "to think in a straight line"
>waves of fatigue, especially after meals like pasta and bread, worse than any regular post-meal fatigue
>attacks of microsleep, unable to resist
>microsleep during studies, presentations and once while driving my car
>major impediment for studies
>feel like a zombie
>low alertness, depressed
>mostly "too tired" for social events and sports
>runny shits, diarrhea, wipe three or more times
>shit got diagnosed, bad digestion of carbs, overrun by bacteria
>felt best when I did not eat at all

Went to see some doctors. Got checked for all kinds of stuff, even pneumonia. A "spiritually enhanced" doctor advised me on cutting out gluten. At first I rolled my eyes (gluten fad etc), some weeks later I gave it a honest go. Some days later it was better, two weeks in the effects were quite pronounced.

Now:
>well rested after 7 to 8 hours of sleep
>no more fatigue, can concentrate again
>no more microsleep :-)
>huge advances in studies and work
>energy for social events, lifting and cardio
>feel like a half-god
>chad-tier digestion in 24 hours or less, compact shits, wipe only once
>feel replenished after meals

It's a difference like day and night to me, I'll never go back.
>>
>>42496934
>microvilli
*brush border
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.