[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SS/ICF Hybrid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

Sup /fit/,
>inb4 Blahate shitstorm
Been running ICF 5x5 for a few months and thinking of replacing the core work portion with SS rather than SL 5x5 as in the original ICF.
Reasons:
I'm stalling like fuck on 5x5 especially on the bench
and this is apparently rather common with beginners doing 5x5.
I really fucking hate barbell rows, (but I'll be keeping the lighter rows as assistance because frankly Idk what I'd replace them with)
Power cleans are cool.
Is this wise or should I just stick to the program ?

pic is tits and thus always related
>>
>>42482571
You're doing SS with ICF extra work.
That's cool.
Are you eating and resting properly?
This is a good time for you to look into an intermediate routine, even if you won't switch right now you will in a couple of months for sure.
>>
>>42482590
My numbers are still definitely in the beginner range.

I haven't even broken bodyweight on the bench press yet.

Is 3x5 really better for progressing consistently or do I just need to git gud ?
>>
>>42482571
been doing ICF 5x5 for some time. i was a beginner and didnt know how to eat properly, sleep much etc. i fucked around in the gym and never had a set form. i hurt my back and had to back off for a bit. with that back off i realised that ICF gave me a complete physique that other programs like SS wouldnt do (you've seen those guys who do SS, not very body builder - like). i never progressed properly in ICF and now that i've been doing it for more than a year I feel like i've lost the beginner gains. although the gains are coming in nicely that im eating and sleeping right. however contrary to what bloho says. i had to switch things up. 5x5 squats is too much. i do 3x5. i follow alphadestiny's advice so heavy rows are cool. and i do the bodyweight exercises where possible. like chinups instead of curls on day A and dips instead of closegrip bench on day B. i'll probably stick with this program for a lot more time and just progress it until i reach novice - intermediate standards. my advice for this program is to not go easy with the things that help recovery like eating and sleeping (it's hard when u have a life like uni work and such) heck i even go with two rest days between each day instead of every other day except the weekend/those two days off.
>>
>>42482672
day A:
SQ 3x5
BOR: 5x5
BP: 5x5
superset (1):
shrugs/power shrugs 3x8
chin ups (weighted) 3x8\
superset (2):
tri ext. 3x8
neck curls 3x20
cable crunches 3x20

dayB:
SQ 3x5
DL 1x5
OHP 5x5
BOR 5x5
superset (1):
barbell curls 3x8
dips (weighted) 3x8
cable crunches 3x20

its a hard asf program but if you go ham on recovery then the gains are sweet and noticable within a few weeks.
>>
>>42482672
I'm already doing 3x5 on squats, mostly because I hack squat instead of back squat due to a messed up shoulder (not gym related)
and they're practically deadlifts.

But it's the bench I'm stalling on really. at a very low weight. 2/3 of my bodyweight.
>>
>>42482656
Height, weight, and bench?
You might need to fill up your frame, or maybe you have issues with form. Can you grind out on the bench? If you can't, that's a sign of bad form, but you should double check it anyway.
3x5 is good for linear progression, it's a bit of volume but not too much to fuck you up and impede recovery, but who knows, maybe you'd respond better to more or less sets, or different rep ranges... doesn't matter, as a beginner focus on the 3x5, you'll have time later to find out what works best for you, the 3x5 might not be optimal but it will work well enough and won't have you waste time trying a huge list of other setsxreps
>>
>>42482750
I never actually progress linearly in terms of 5 pounds a day etc. and i still dont. but yeah i alos started out at a low weight compared to my bodyweight. i only just got to bodyweight bench press some few weeks ago. when its the whole stalling with the weight thing a lot of the times its a technique issue. binge watching powerlifter bench videos like silent mike, and stuff helps. the thing with blohos way of doing the movements is that he doesnt explain shit and this could leave u to do a whole lot of fucked up shit. after hitting a BW bench i realised that a wider than close grip bench yet still tricep dominated is heaps good. ur going to need to find out what works for you but this is going to cost you in terms of progression. some people pick up form easily progress immediately but no ones perfect. and its not like u go a competition in a few weeks. u got time. figure out what works for you.
>>
>>42482760
(kilograms)

Height: 5 ft 6
Weight: 67 kg

Squat: 80
DL: 90
Press: 52.5
Bench: 42.5 (I know, I know)
Rows: 45
Curls: 32.5
Tricep Extension: 20
Crunch: 22.5
>>
>>42482862
>Press more than bench
Strict press or push press?
How's your bench form, in your opinion? Can you grind a bench rep?
We'd need videos of both, but check your form (on both), your bench is probably shit.
>>
>>42482571

Do SS. Once your squat is up to 5x3 140kg, you'll be in a better position to do higher volume that produces enough stress to get you to actually grow stronger.
>>
>>42482921
I wrote that wrong.
I meant to write Landmine press.

I can't OH because of a messed up shoulder.
>>
>>42482862
bringing up the tricep extension will gets mad long head thickness.
>>
>>42483055
That shoulder might be fucking up your bench too.
Is it fixable or permanent?
>>
ICF is a terrible program. It's just SL with extra stuff, but no programming sense. He just tacked bodybuilding stuff on to a powerlifting program, without thinking "can anyone actually do this?"

Pretty sure Hemingway intentionally made it too much, so that people could say it's hard, and that would inflate his ego, because there's an assumption the guy who creates the routine is actually a master at it, and Blaha wants people to think he's "the monster".

You really ought to make a switch, OP.
>>
>>42483109
Permanent.
I had reconstruction surgery a while back to stop it randomly dislocating but it's still very much a bad shoulder
>>
>>42483276
That's something you should discuss with a sports doc then, not with helpful concerned /fit/izens.
Sorry anon.
>>
>>42483276
and yes, it's definitely the shoulder, my right arm (the bad one) definitely feels weaker.
I need to make a conscious effort during the bench just to keep the barpath from being lopsided.
>>
>>42483301
well maybe u can progress the other stuff and just focus on a sort of rehab of the shoulder by moving it nicely in the bench presses.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.