[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anxiety and getting to gym

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 4

File: anxious.png (339KB, 406x532px) Image search: [Google]
anxious.png
339KB, 406x532px
Hello /fit/

I haven't gone to the gym properly in several months now. I've lost weight, mostly fat, from 99kg(218lbs) to 90kg now, but I'm worried all my lifts will have gone down, I've lost a lot of muscle, etc. etc.

I'm recovering from depression and anxiety (had electroshock almost 2 years ago now) and need to learn to self motivate and control my anxiety/fear.

Every time I think of going to the gym or get in my car to drive there, I can physically feel my chest tense up and my heart beat faster. I get scared of going in and scared of exercising.

I don't know why. I'm not self conscious. I'm not worried about what others think of me. BUt I just feel like I'm not going to make progress, that I'm wasting my time, that I'm doing everything wrong, etc. Being in the gym makes me panicky and claustrophobic, and I second-guess every motion that I do.

I'm seeing a psychologist, working on meditation, and taking antidepressants. I'm trying to get back on the horse and on my way to looking large and fit, rather than weirdly skinnyfat (pic related is me 3 weeks ago at 92kg-ish)

I've just started taking steps to join the weightlifting/powerlifting club at my uni, and I'm looking for helpful advice on both fitness and managing anxiety.

thanks in advance /fit/
>>
I don't see a question.

Diet and lose the fat, you won't be anxious anymore.
>>
>>42458042
....I'm not anxious about my appearance. I'm recovering from a serious mental illness.

Pic related is my weight loss. I don't need your help with that- not that you were offering anything other than edge
>>
File: Pepe_Thinking.png (12KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Pepe_Thinking.png
12KB, 640x640px
>>42457888
Do you want to make it? Just remember, it's not about how hard/much you lift, it's about sheer will of improving yourself.

You already came a long, 9kg isn't bad, but don't delude yourself, it doesn't get easier BUT YOU HAVE TO WANT TO MAKE IT.

Be careful with antidepressants, I'd avoid psychopharmaca at all costs, if you can function without them, since they have so many adverse effects on body and mind.

I'm honest with you, you don't even look that bad, you look better than half the people I see at the gym and you trying to improve yourself makes you 1000% more attractive! I believe in you, anon. You can make it.

Maybe try taking a friend with you to the gym for the first few weeks, to get the mental barrier out of they way..
>>
>>42458089
Can you stop replying to every thread with THAT specific frog?
>>
File: 1449369479136.jpg (64KB, 400x580px) Image search: [Google]
1449369479136.jpg
64KB, 400x580px
>>42458089
Thankyou for the kind words, frogposter.

>Maybe try taking a friend with you to the gym for the first few weeks, to get the mental barrier out of they way..
I'm going to try and go with a new friend I made who's heavily into the club, and see if I can't get into a rhythm and bring it back to normality so it isn't quite so intimidating and anxiety-producing.

I appreciate your advice.

and re
>Be careful with antidepressants, I'd avoid psychopharmaca at all costs
I agree, but I've been exceptionally bad without them (see: electroshock, in my OP) and I'm using them with regular consultation with my GP and psychiatrist, and my psychologist is also working with me on how I think, etc. so hopefully I can eventually move off them in a gradual fashion.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.