[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to Lift your way to a 90+ mph fastball?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: fastball2.jpg (123KB, 1000x1288px) Image search: [Google]
fastball2.jpg
123KB, 1000x1288px
If you build up your arm and leg strength, along with having good throwing mechanics, can you get to MLB tier speed?
>>
With practice I dont see why you would not be able to.
>>
Can't lift your way to locate a 90mph fastball on either side of the plate.
>>
Former college pitcher here. I could throw 90 but my fastball was usually 85-88. I was 6'2, 185 pounds in college. We basically only did squats as far as compound lifts go. Strong legs and core were essentially. You have to neglect shoulders too because if they're too large then you will have problems with the rotation and become prone to injury. My squat was only in the mid 200s and I had an excellent core. Worked out only 3 days a week.

The gym is necessary but more important is your fundamentals as a pitcher. Make sure you run too, at least a couple miles 4-5 days a week because endurance is HUGE for pitchers. I didn't lift a single bit in high school and I could still go out there and throw mid 80s, touch on 87-88 on a good one for 6-7 innings.

But tl;dr the lifts you want to focus on are squats, a bunch of core exercises, and maybe some tricep work too. I don't really recall a lot of arm lifts that I would do.
>>
>>42409580
just the speed in theory, the question wasn't meant to be "can i lift my way into the mlb?" i know youre either born with the talent or youre not when it comes to that tier.

>>42409581
damn, so all this time I thought jake arrieta talking about Pilates was just code for steroids. it sounds like he might actually be doing them for core strength
>>
>>42409658
>I thought jake arrieta talking about Pilates was just code for steroids. it sounds like he might actually be doing them for core strength
Half the pitchers on my team did yoga. Core strength is essential for pitching. It's funny, you can have twig arms but a rock solid core and tree trunk legs you can throw 100 mph. Can't stress fundamentals enough too, Look at Tim Lincecum, that dude weighed hardly anymore than 160 and could hurl 97 mph heaters.
>>
>>42409581
This guy knows what he's talking about

The ability to move power from your leg drive into your arm is what makes throwing above 90 possible.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.