[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/run/ general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 21

File: warmup.gif (721KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
warmup.gif
721KB, 500x281px
Sore Shins Edition

Training Plans: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/
Strava: https://www.strava.com/features

I saw a Strava group for /run/ a few weeks ago but can't seem to find it now. I know someone out there probably has the link.

How far have you run this week?
What are you working on?
How was your last run?
Any new gear that you've been enjoying?
>>
File: brainlet.png (4KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
brainlet.png
4KB, 183x275px
Anyone have good workouts that maximize calorie burn?
>>
>>42394143
>How far have you run this week?
12 miles but I have my long run tomorrow. Did 10 miles last weekend and I'm going to shoot for the same and, depending on how I'm feeling, I might go for 11. Also going to bring a snack with me this time around because I felt like I was going to die after my run last weekend.
>What are you working on?
Training for a couple of half marathons on a Higdon plan. Novice bois
>How was your last run?
A lot better than the same run I did on Monday. 4 miles @ about 9:20/mi for an easy run. Tuesday was a sort of accidental tempo but I did my 4 miles @ 7:58/mi. Felt pretty good.
>Any new gear that you've been enjoying?
Picked up some Injinji socks that I really like. Takes a minute to get used to wearing them though. Also considering buying a Camelbak pack for water/snack storage on long runs.
>>
>>42394274
Running is pretty weird in that regardless of how fast or slow you're going, you're basically going to end up burning the same amount of calories per mile, which is usually around 100cal/mi. That said, there's no accounting for the way that your body works and everyone is different. For burning calories, I'd recommend a long, slow run or a longer, slow bicycle ride.
>>
File: 102758820.jpg (224KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
102758820.jpg
224KB, 1024x768px
What are the best earphones for running under £50 ($65)?
>>
>>42394354
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DZXFB1Q/

These are probably going to be the best bang for your buck, as far as wireless buds go. I have a pair of Jaybird X2s that I use for most of my runs and they're definitely more expensive but I feel that they're worth it.
>>
>>42394304
Ok thanks for advice. I'm rather fat and I find that running is the best way to burn it (lost 2kg in 3 weeks). Just wondering, speed really doesn't make a difference? Except of course covering ground more quickly.
>>
>>42394415
Like everyone says, your diet is going to be the most important but running will help as well.
As far as I'm aware, speed isn't really going to make a difference. You might burn slightly more calories because you're running faster, but you're not going to be able to run as long because you'll ultimately burn yourself out. The quickest way to get faster is to run slower. Doing slow, long runs will help you maintain a caloric deficit and will help you build your base in the long run. If you haven't already, you should check out C25K.
>>
>>42394143
i started running for the first time 4 weeks ago, so far, i am only up to 4 miles per go, three times a week.
pretty slow too, takes me over 30 minutes each time.
i'm gonna quit smoking next week, i hope to improve drastically from that alone.
>>
>>42394143

If you get sore shins your running WRONG.

I had shin splints, learned proper technique now don't have them.
>>
>>42394504
Thanks, I did program similar to that, trained 4 months and can easily run for 45 mins now (around 8 km).
>>
File: 1498668467243.jpg (689KB, 740x3328px) Image search: [Google]
1498668467243.jpg
689KB, 740x3328px
Pain in right hip after runs. (3 miles/30 mins). What am I doing wrong?

>pic unrelated, but good meal
>>
>>42394281
>eating while running

Just sounds so wrong. Granted 9 miles is the most I've ever ran but I'd probably throw up
>>
>>42395058

Nonsense. Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it's the rule for everyone. There are many causes.
>>
>>42395058
There are tons of different causes for sore shins, man. Yeah, bad form will give you shin splints but so will a lot of other stuff. Running a lot of hills makes my shins sore for an hour or so after I get done but I've never had shin splints.
>>
>>42395058

I agree. Many times, padded shoes encourage plodding which lead to shin splints.
>>
>>42394143
>posts strava
>doesn't even bother with a simple ctrl+f on the previous thread.
Here newfriend
https://www.strava.com/clubs/fitizens
>>
The place just below and a little to the left of my knee in the side hurts with every step I walk, jog or run. What do I do? I cant afford to lose my progress. Side note the same happens for ny right right.
>>
>>42396953
Hello fellow sipboy
>>
>>42394143
4miles
Sprint Triathlon
>How was your last run?
Vile. On vacation and running in 95degree weather.
Ask me in 6 weeks after the Tri
>>
>>42394143
>tfw got really sick and had to cut my last run short because I couldnt handle doing it with the sickness

Its been ages since I had to cut a run short, feels bad.
>>
The only running I'm doing lately is the travel to the gym which is a little over 1km, if I do that 4-5 times a week, can I still improve 5k time? Occasionally do some light jogging but nothing serious, I'm pushing the 1km's tho, trying to do it in 3min. Best 5k time now is a little under 18min.
>>
>>42396994
>Sprint Triathlon
Should there be comma there or is this something I'm not aware of?
>>
ITB Syndrome
Run til my knee hurts too much to continue.Experience good progress in terms of speed and length. Should I continue this?
>>
>>42396953
>previous thread
>I made the previous thread
>no post about the strava club

ok
>>
>>42395127
I'm not really planning on eating literally while I'm running. For my run, I'll probably stop at 5-5.5 for a few minutes, refill water if I can, eat a granola bar, and then finish out.
I just got so fucked up from low blood sugar after my last 10 mile run. I was shaking pretty bad and just felt like I was going pass out. Had no interest in doing anything for the rest of the day. I eventually came to my senses after a granola bar, banana, gatorade, and some pizza. Ended up visiting my parents and family and had some tequila and beer lol
>>
>>42397948
Literally took me 2 seconds. See >>42340656
I'm sure it's hard to actually try
>>
>>42398131
Oh shit lol, I didn't even notice that.
Well, now I know.
>>
File: 1416345641934.jpg (9KB, 300x208px) Image search: [Google]
1416345641934.jpg
9KB, 300x208px
stopped being a little bitch today and tried to run a mile w/o stopping at all

surprised at how easy it was, didn't sprint like a tard and just went at a comfortable pace and paid attention to my stride

pulled a 9:50, aiming for 7
>inb4 that's a shit time u pleb
pls no bully
>>
>>42394274
barefoot trail running in high humidity naked. be mindful of ticks though.
>>
>>42394143
How do i get motivated to run
When i comes to lifting i always know i what i have to to today.
When i comes to running i don't care.
How to change.
>>
my right knee has been hurting since i started running, why is this and can i fix it
>>
Anyone else not move their arms when they run? Ever since starting this running has gotten so easy.
>>
Just set a PB last night. Ran a solid 18km. May be not that good for here, but it's great for me.

On another note, any anons care to share some running tips that they've discovered on their own? I've found that if I match my breathing to when my right (or left, doesn't really matter) foot hits the ground, I get tired less quickly.
>>
anyone run and also lift heavy? i want to start running because i liked to be able to. not really interested in sprinting just long slow distance.
would one a week be enough or twice?
if you lift heavy what do you do to maintain strength or still get stronger?
>>
>>42394143
my week has sucked, only about 7 miles.
going for a half marathon this year
>How was your last run?
last run was 3.5, last weekend was a 12.2mile run, going to try for a half marathon on sunday... hope i feel better. been super lazy today.
garmin 735xt has been useful, got it set to beep at me when my heart rate falls below zone and beep at me when i go above or below a certain pace. actually helps.
>>
File: 1498380536922.jpg (40KB, 535x577px) Image search: [Google]
1498380536922.jpg
40KB, 535x577px
>tfw no gainz this morning
maybe i should have done 2*2.5km with a break.
>>
>>42395064
Shoes.
You need better shoes m8. Either more cushion, less tight, or something.

I had that feel too, but I was doing like 70mi/wk when I got those pains.
>>
>>42397051
Think Half-Triathlon. It's a 700m swim, 20km cycle and a 5km run, but the distances for the one I'm doing are a bit retarded.. 400m swim, 24.2km cycle, and a 6.3km run, actually suits me because my swim is weak as fuck.
>>
22 Miles / 36 Km
Should be 37 miles / 60 km at the ends of the day since it's big run day .
>>
>>42399514
not moving your arms at all definitely makes you slower, but not moving them that much is fine for long runs.
>>
>>42399457
knee cap? tendon below the knee? back of the knee?
does icing help? stretching?
could be a host of things
>>
>>42394143

This week: 13.5mi
Working on: Going farther
Last Run: 6.5mi
New Gear: Condor Sentry Vest with plates for short runs.

6'1", 250lb here.
>>
how fast is your 40 yard
>>
How do you handle running in the winter?
I started running this summer and are worrying about how to go at it during winter. Problem is my throat starts to hurt much during physical activity when it's cold outside, how do you handle it?
Talking about real winter here with at least sub zero degree Celsius here, average temperature in my city during mid winter is around -8 degree Celsius.
>>
>>42401744
If you can't stand the cold, go to a gym and run on a treadmill. It's boring as hell, but hey, all running is.
>>
>>42399360
Keep up the good work anon
>>
File: Untitled 2.jpg (130KB, 998x709px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled 2.jpg
130KB, 998x709px
>>42400978
I failed breh
Blue part was walking and the dot a 5 min pause.
My mouth was so sticky I think I was close to 3 kg lighter back home .
Next time i'll put strategic water bottle in the wood to hydrate myself .
>>
>>42402227
Yeah, I guess that's one choice. It costs a bit though, feels a bit unnecessary to pay for a gym membership to only use the treadmills.
>>
File: couch-to-5k.jpg (101KB, 554x1113px) Image search: [Google]
couch-to-5k.jpg
101KB, 554x1113px
Anyone have some idea on how to avoid getting a side stitch when running? I'm on week 4 on this program and usually get a side stich at the second 3 minute run, so I have to stop and wait for it to pass or try endure it, neither is such good. I usually wait until 3-4 hours after I've eaten to run, but it obviously doesn't help so much.
>>
jogging is gay real men sprint, faggots
>>
>>42394143
APFT (2 mile speed) and long distance endurance
>How was your last run?
Horrible, I ran in the late evening vs. my usual early morning, was exhausted, pace was terrible and I ended it with half assed hill sprints
no
>>
>>42402618
>not lifting as well
>>
File: unsolicited spotter.webm (2MB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
unsolicited spotter.webm
2MB, 720x720px
>>42394143
Would this routine be acceptable?
>1 long run a week (5 km)
>HIIT Stationary Bike (15 min - 30/90s) before strength training gym routine 3x a week.

I honestly fucking h8 running but I need to get faster.

Also, would calf raises make me faster?
>>
I'm shallow and crave approval, does getting good at running get me any of that
>>
What running app do you guys use? Nike running club seems to be super fucked up for me, it cant sync with my music and playing music before turning it on crashes it, it also randomly crashed at 1.5km
>>
is running on a treadmill really significantly less beneficial?

I hate running on grass/pavement and outdoors in general, but love running on treadmills for some reason
>>
>>42394143
I think i have a niggling injury in my foot. I have feel it on the bottom of the outside of my right foot and it sort of wraps around the outside ankle. It kicks in whenever I run for more than 10 minutes. Anyone have something similar?
>>
>switch to strength training, add 20kg, don't run for 10 months
>try running again today
>managed to run 5k albeit slow

wew lad, i thought i wouldn't be able to move
>>
>>42402827
aye lad, whats your 2mile time
>>
>>42401744
try buff, or some other type of multi-purpose bandanna
>>
>>42394304
I've always used 0.75*body weight for calories burned per mile. Seems to agree with most calorie counters.
>>
>>42394274
No one ever mentions this but do circuit training at the end of your lifts. So let's say you do something like 3x5 squats and bench press. Right after do a circuit with 2 or 3 movements. 4 to 6 sets with 8-15 reps. Keep it together though.

Example:
3x5 Low bar Squats
3x5 Bench press

Circuit (aka superset)

T-bar row- 4x10
Bicep curls- 4x10
DB skullcrushers- 4x10
>>
>>42403485
Wrong thread lol but it would circuits would work for fat loss.
>>
>>42399360
Keep it up
Run / walk is your friend
>>
70.6 miles so far, still have a 15.4 Long run to go tomorrow.
College XC and Track runner
>How was your last run?
Pretty chill, it was just an easy recovery run of about 7.4 miles this morning. Was pretty dead after my tempo workout yesterday.
Some new running hats I guess.
>>
How do I slow myself down enough to not injure myself?

Why I ask: Summer is cycling time for me, so I cut running way back.
Cardio fitness / aerobic ability / endurance etc. is there of course, because, yay, cycling, but in the last years I've had some problems with my Achilles tendon or knees not wanting to keep up with my running.

I'd love to run my first marathon this December (off-road, northern hemisphere). How do I not fuck this up?

Background etc.:
About 6000km of cycling this year so farj (all on road bike, no MTB), reduced run volume around April after my first half-marathon (1:31h).
Currently cycling about 200km / week, 1-2h running, varied, but mostly low, intensity.
>>
>>42403150
Set an incline. Doesn't have to be much.
>>
>do my 10 mile run
>get done
>feel fine for an hour on the drive back to my apartment
>walk in the door
>immediate ocular migraine and actual migraine
>slam down food and a ton of water
>headache still wants to stay

I thought long runs were supposed to make you feel good afterwards :(
>>
>>42394143
So, my shins are sore to the point where it hurts when I step. Will I injure myself if I got running today or will it be fine?
>>
>>42406491
Nigga don't risk it. Do some stretches if you're not sure and see how you feel. I personally wouldn't risk putting myself out for 3 month
>>
>>42406521
How many days should I wait? Will I probably be fine on monday? Also, what can I do to keep this from happening again? Better shoes?
>>
>>42404981
NIgga how have you done 462 runs in 215 days?
>>
>>42394143
Hey runbrehs, powerlifter here... I'm trying to cut a weight class into the 198lb category. Right now I am 230lbs at 18% bf. Normally, I'd just cut with my diet but holy fuck eating that few calories is miserable. So I am thinking running would be a great way to be able to significantly raise my daily TDEE to a level where I could eat an enjoyable volume of food. How do I go about increasing my endurance, in a non meme plan, that has realistic progression?
>>
>>42406612
He does a lot of different runs during the day. Not just one/day.
>>
>>42406538
Better shoes. Hard to say how long. A guy from work waited a whole week and just focused on stretches and felt fine afterwards. Everybody is different tho. But definitely invest in some new shoes, don't scrimp on your health/safety nigga
>>
>>42406672
He's also an absolute madman
>>
>>42406672
So no recovery/rest days at all? I've done 15 miles this week across 4 runs and my legs are stiff as fuck, how many years do I need to train to teach that level of fitness?
>>
>>42406680
Okay, thanks anon. How are the under armor running shoes? They have some kind of gemini 2.1 shoes that they say have good arch support and I find the most shoes don't have good enough arch support for me.
>>
>>42406725
You'd have to ask him lol. It looks like he's had some "slower" months with a bit less activity but I'm not sure if he's running every day. Looks like he just does recovery runs instead of rest days, at least for the last few weeks.
Breddy sure you can get to running every day over the course of a year or so.
>>
>>42406682
Th-thanks lad
>>
>>42406725
>>42406756
Ye, I do run every day. Basically, our coach's training philosophy is to do most of our mileage easy (6:40-7:00 pace), and then go hard on our two "workout days". A typical week (in Monday-Sunday order) is usually:
-Easy double
-Hard workout, then an easy recovery run
-Medium Long Run
-Easy double
-Hard Workout, then an easy recovery run
-Very short and easy single
-Long Run (usually closer to 6:00-6:20 pace)
>>
>>42406861

>"Easy run" 6:40-7:00
>tfw when your fastest mile is 7:22
>>
What running app do you guys use?! something with voice feedback
>>
>>42406911
Runtopia has voice feedback and is free. That's what I use.
>>
File: long run.jpg (311KB, 2154x1862px) Image search: [Google]
long run.jpg
311KB, 2154x1862px
Today's 18 miler.
>>
>>42406911
RunKeeper since you can set up voice prompts like below:

>10 min warm-up
>1 mile fast at 7:20
>3 minute rest
>1/2 mile at 7:00
>3 minute rest
>1/2 mile at 7:00
>3 minute rest
>1 mile at 7:20
>10 minute cool down
>>
So I've been seeing recently that most runs should be done at easy/slow pace. I've also heard a few times that I should't start Intervals/Fartlek/Tempo runs until I have built up the aerobic base to handle it.

So do easy runs actually make you faster? Even with no speed/hard sessions, will my average pace on easy runs increase as the weeks go on?
>>
>>42406905
Don't sweat it lad, I've been running for a little over 8 years at this point, but it doesn't take that long by far to get to a comparable fitness level, just smart training. We're all gonna make it!
>>
>>42407060
Yes, the longer you run, the fitter you'll be aerobically and thus you'll be able to handle faster paces easier and for longer periods of time. Getting a good mileage base is VERY important to getting fast. Then you get to start the fun stuff like tempos, fartleks, and intervals.
>>
What do you all use to hold your phone and keys while you run for they don't bounce around? Been looking at the flipbelt, has anyone used one of those?
>>
>>42407159
Thanks bro. I've averaged about 15-17 MPW during July. I'm aiming to run 25 miles a week comfortably by the end of August before starting the fun stuff.

One thing i'm unsure with though is the pacing on easy runs. I get that I should let my body naturally dictate my pace. Should I consciously try run faster, (even say 10 seconds per mile faster per week) or should I just keep it flowing naturally and the pace will increase without noticing?
>>
>>42407263
Phone, arm strap. I hold my keys in my hand because the noise drives me crazy. Recently, I take only the one key I need and put it in the zip pocket on the ass of my shorts. Never notice it.
>>
>>42407269
For the easy runs, just go off of feel, but make sure you aren't going TOO easy if you understand me. It should feel comfortable, but not too much so.
>>
Does anyone have any recommendations for running shoes with good arch support?
>>
What's a simple, long term sustainable running program for someone after C25K? I'm in the gym 6 days a week and looking for a plan to help me get to, like, a sub 35 minute 5 mile and be in great shape for basketball games and shit like that.
>>
File: 1490228959943.jpg (4KB, 261x171px) Image search: [Google]
1490228959943.jpg
4KB, 261x171px
I've got pain in the front of my leg while running, almost like the muscle there is cramping. It's getting to the point where I have to stop and walk it off, and after about 15 minutes of walking I can go again, until it starts and I have to repeat. Are these shin splints? Sorry I'm new to this. How do I fix? Thanks
>>
>>42394415
The fitter you are the faster you are
>>
>>42395058
This
>>
>>42395058
shin splints are an overuse injury you fucking retard. It has literally nothing to do with technique/form
>>
>>42394354
how the fuck do you run under £50

that's not even a distance
>>
>>42402971
>would calf raises make me faster?
no
>>
File: 1494879096057.jpg (41KB, 1033x679px) Image search: [Google]
1494879096057.jpg
41KB, 1033x679px
>>42404981
>College XC and Track runner
>>
Any shirt recommendations for joggers nipple?
>>
>>42409150
You too? Where do/did you run at?
>>
>want to start running but scared of injuries
How do I run without snapping my shit up?
>>
>>42409337
Just start out with short runs every other day, walk some if you have to. Slowly increase distance and try to not walk at all. Add more days of running if you want, and you'll get faster over time. Once you've got a good base built up, then you can add in stuff like intervals, fartleks, and tempos.
>>
>>42409385
My conditioning is already pretty good.
I just always see runners talking about injuries.
Is there a good technique tutorial I should read/watch?
>>
>>42409435
Some other people in this thread probably have some good pics or vids on the subject, but I'll just say that form is the usually the biggest factor in injuries; don't run on your heels if you can help it, midfoot is a lot better. Don't let your shoulders swing around, and try not to let your arms cross your body too much when they move. Also, don't clench your fists when you run. Your hands should be comfortably loose but not floppy.
>>
>>42409492
>midfoot is a lot better.
So not on the balls of my feeT?

>Your hands should be comfortably loose but not floppy.
I always remember this because in middle school the gym teacher told us to pretend we were holding potato chips.
>>
>>42409531
Actually, I do run on the balls of my feet as well. I just recommend people midfoot because people seem to like it more. Either of them work fine (and both are better than heel-striking) and are ultimately down to which is more comfortable to you.
>>
fuck, done the first two weeks of c25k in these really cheap NBs and my hips are fucking killing me

gonna stick to an elliptical trainer for the next week and get fitted for proper running kit
>>
File: 1427324864939.gif (1MB, 392x400px) Image search: [Google]
1427324864939.gif
1MB, 392x400px
>>42409531

getting a good strike is hard to describe, it just feels really natural once you do it though, on the balls of your feet isn't wrong but your calves will get sore real fast

i have a very specific pace where my footstrike is perfect, but if i lengthen or shorten my stride any more than that it feels like i'm braking (which is why i literally cannot run on treadmills)

you'll know it when you get it, keep your shoulders loose and just go at a pace that feels natural and comofortable
>>
What running shoe for shin splints?
>>
HELLO FRIENDS ARE ADIDAS ULTRA BOOST NICE TO RUN?
>>
>>42406861
division/events/PRs?
>>
>>42409241
Wear looser shirts that are made of polyester instead of cotton.
>>
>>42406905
This, though my fastest mile is 6:50. My tempo runs are at 7:30, 800m intervals at 7:00, and 1mile intervsls at 7:15.
>>
>>42410881
Stop over running for your running fitness level and slowing the fuck down.
>>
Biking ( spinning in low gear ? ) or nothing on the day after a very long run ?
>>
File: sanic pepe.png (71KB, 870x870px) Image search: [Google]
sanic pepe.png
71KB, 870x870px
>GOTTA GO FAST!!!
>>
>>42408334
Bump
>>
>>42413765
Long term?
Go with the usual
- 1 tempo run
- 1 intervals session
- 1 long run

You'll plateau sooner than later though.
>>
>>42413765
See you a week from mow complaining of shin splints.
>>
>>42411527
Division 2 (West Texas A&M), and I'll be doing the 5k and 10k (I'm just a freshman atm but not redshirting this year). PRs so far are 14:59 for the 5k and 31:58 for the 10k (this one is an old time though since I haven't done a 10k race in a while).
>>
how do y'all balance running and strength training?

ive been getting really into running while temporary no access to gym but when i return to lifting im not sure how to balance both?
>>
>>42406861
how long is an easy double ? 5 miles ?
and a medium / long ?

What is the hard workout day ? ( interval / tempo ? )
>>
>>42395064
>3 miles/30 mins
This could also be contributing to your problem. If you're running slow enough that 3 miles takes you 30 minutes then your form and stride are possibly very articulated, "choppy"; there's a definite "up" and a definite "down" and a definite "hit the ground" before coming up again. This is impactful and rough on your joints.

You can improve your form in any number of ways but the best way to do it quickly is really just to run a little faster. This will smooth out your stride, which will often correct improper form, and will also cause you to adopt better form because better form is more comfortable, and indifferent universe knows that we all do anything during cardio to be just a little bit more comfortable. You sort of fall into better form by accident.
>>
File: 1501643648862.jpg (60KB, 420x515px) Image search: [Google]
1501643648862.jpg
60KB, 420x515px
>>42406415
lol, I ended up having to go to the ER last night because of the migraine and nausea. I couldn't even keep fluids down for like 9 hours.

Lesson learned about hydrating and food
>>
>>42401744
>Be white x1

t. -25 during winter
>>
>>42394504
>>42394415
this guy is correct
>>42394304
It'll generally come out to around 100 calories per mile at your most comfortable pace. As you get faster, you end up becoming more efficient and improving your running economy (less wasted motion in each stride) so you might actually wind up burning less calories per mile as you improve.
>>
>>42402762
run slower, take deep breaths, and relax any tension you might have in your abs.
I only really get a side stitch when I notice
my posture is a little too rigid.
>>
>>42415445
Length depends on how much mileage our coach is having us do that week (90 miles is my max). Basically, following the same Monday-Sunday schedule I described, we'll do a certain percentage of whatever our weekly mileage for that week is:
-13% (easy double)
-18% (hard workout day)
-16% (Medium Long Run)
-11% (easy double)
-18% (hard workout day)
-6% (easy single)
-18% (Long run)

For the moment, as it's still just summer, it's usually either a tempo, fartlek, or continuous hill sprint workout for the hard days, with maybe a few 200m or 300m repeats afterwards sometimes. Medium Long runs can range from 11-14.4, and Long runs can range from 12-16.2, though I've done a few 18 milers.
>>
I'm starting a 10 week training prep for my first ever half-marathon tomorrow, wish me luck lads. Also, how good is swimming for cross-training? I'm a shit swimmer and would like to get better, could I swim twice a week and then only have one rest-day or would that be too much? (I've been running non-seriously for about a year 3k/5k runs 3-5 times a week, but accidently ran 10 miles the other day which is why I'm going for the half)
>>
If I'm running on an outdoor track should I get track spikes or just regular running shoes?
>>
>>42394143
I'm on week 4 of C25K and I feel like it's getting easier and easier.
>>
File: 1500504319817.jpg (16KB, 480x477px) Image search: [Google]
1500504319817.jpg
16KB, 480x477px
>>42408835
shameless bump. please help
>>
>>42408921
I thought stress fractures were from overuse
>>
>>42408835
If you use your hand to put pressure on your shins, does it hurt all over, or is it just one specific spot?
If it seems to be one specific spot, you're either just sore, or it's the beginning of a stress fracture.
If it's all over your shin, it's more than likely just shin splints.
>>
28 miles
Building my aerobic base to 30 miles per week.
>How was your last run?
Felt good man. 9 miles and comfy 7:30 pace.
Other than running shoes I don't have gear.

What is the strava app thing? I don't like the idea of.competing with people for weekly mileage or whatever goes on in there because I'm following a routine rather than just fucking around trying to run more than others without a plan.
>>
>>42418609
It's not a competition lad, and pretty much all of us on there also follow plans. The leaderboard thing is literally built into the group function.
https://www.strava.com/clubs/fitizens
>>
File: 1494009365693.jpg (72KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1494009365693.jpg
72KB, 500x500px
How far have you run this week?
>16.3 miles. Finally crawling back after months of dealing with plantar fasciitis. Dropped from 205lbs April 1 to 176lbs today, which probably helped.

What are you working on?
>Just putting easy miles on my legs. Long, easy miles.

How was your last run?
>Decent. Easy 5k today.

Any new gear that you've been enjoying?
>No. I need some new shorts.
>>
>>42394143
>how far have you run this week?
70mi
>what are you working on?
Trail racing
>how was your last Run?
Dehydrated, got a migraine after. Easy 14 mile @ 6:55min/mile
>any new gear you've been enjoying?
Saucony Freedom ISO to match my buddy
>>
>>42394274
fork putdowns
>>
File: sadrunner.jpg (66KB, 290x290px) Image search: [Google]
sadrunner.jpg
66KB, 290x290px
>When your gps watch dies halfway through your long run

end my life senpai
>>
I'm not skinny fat just a skinny 19yo. I'm not in great shape, but I'm not in shit shape. I can run about 21 minute 5k, do 35 pushups, 50 if I go all out, and maybe 5-6 pullups.

Only problem is I'm pretty small and skinny and I want to gain weight. I like running, but I'm not sure if it's my thing since I want to put on kilos. Should I run and if so what distance ect. I'm thinking about swimming as well.
>>
>>42420379
Running is fine. You just need to eat more.
>>
>>42420611
How much do you recommend. I don't want to overdo it. I eat by far the most in my family and still am the skinniest. I guess I just have a super high metabolism.
>>
>>42420652
Kinda hard to overdo nutrition and fitness, especially when it comes to lifting and such. I'd recommend doing bodyweight workouts (check out the bodyweightfitness subreddit) and just eat a bunch.
>>
File: 20170806_204024.jpg (42KB, 976x421px) Image search: [Google]
20170806_204024.jpg
42KB, 976x421px
>>42394143
running a lot this week :D
>>
So for all you long distance runners doing 10 + miles a day, how many calories on average do you eat a day?
>>
>how far have you run this week
55mi
>what are you working on?
High School XC
>how was your last run?
I actually ate before it so hella good felt great
>any new gear you've been enjoying lately?
jaybird x3, listening to shit is great
>>
>>42395058
>>42395557
>>42396254
>>42408921

I have been looking into this a lot lately. I think the primary causes are bad footwear, possibly over training too quickly, or the most likely cause which is heel striking (which can be caused by overstriding).

I've been getting bad shin splints so I'm experimenting with forefoot striking (gave me really sore calves, probably not a good idea), and midfoot striking (probably ideal solution).

Just be careful guys. Beginners you may not think that this has anything to do with this, but you don't know it probably does. Check yourself now before you shrek yourself. Otherwise you could kill your gains for 2-3 weeks trying to recover from shin splints.
>>
File: 1500066771644.jpg (210KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1500066771644.jpg
210KB, 1920x1080px
>>42399360
Just keep it up and don't fall for the sprinter meme.

>>42404981
Is it true that they literally run you to the ground in college by maxing out your mileage?
>>
>>42421422
It depends on your coach desu. So far (actually a freshman) I've been fine, actually only had a max week once this summer. I've heard from teammates that mileage does tend to climb and stay high as the season progresses. Still though, if your coach knows what he's doing, he'll be able to keep you on the edge without you falling off.
>>
43km in the last week

Training for my first marathon in 9 weeks

Did a 7km recovery run today, it was great

Bought two pairs of skecher gorun 4s on sale and loving them
>>
>>42408835
I would say its shin splints. Endurance is my recommendation. Just don't stop running, you will get used to it and it won't bother you again after 1-2 more times. If you have to walk, dont force yourself to keep on running, I know its frustrating, but take a day or two and try again. Stretching a good time after running is extremely advisable. Run slower in the beggining before increasing your speed. Getting a new pair of shoes could be an improvement too
Thread posts: 157
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.